DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV (10/9/23 - 10/15/23)

RIPPA

Kofi/Ivar was damn good once again.

Nia/Raquel was solid while it lasted. Dug things getting out of control again and Shayna actually standing tall amongst beasts like Raquel, Nia, and Rhea. 

Ricochet vs. Reed vs. Gable was good. Plenty of good action all around with all three looking impressive and Gable/Ricochet only teaming up as much as needed against Reed. Finish was well done.

Drew/JD was fun. Thought Drew gave JD just enough to how some skill despite being nowhere near Drew's level right now.

Becky/Tegan was generally solid. Nox had a pretty decent performance though maybe not as standout as they likely hoped. Dug the backstage segments built around this. Its good to see Xia and the KCs again. With that and Rhea's segment with Pearce, Candice, and Indi it was good to see HHH trying to make more use out of the division as a whole again.

Cody/Jey vs. Sami/KO was nice. I dug all the little breakdowns and constant tension during the first half with second half having all the big moves and drama. Really good match overall. Was nice to see them use it to finally have KO and Jey shake hands post match.

Raw will always be too long, but this was a good show. All of the matches were at least fun with two really good matches worth going out of one's way to see in the opener and main event. More to the point it was good to see so many moving parts and stories pushing forward. Was especially happy to see them bring up Cody and Finishing the story. They didn't fully address, but its good to know it hasn't been forgotten. Will be interesting to see if the current tag titles run bring Cody back on course or if another route is chosen.

• Like 1

Raw was a pretty good show tonight, but a few things.

Shinsuke Nakamura is right back to where he was post-AJ Styles feud in 2018. Except now he's five years older and 43. Both those feuds climaxed in Last Man Standing matches for the world title. I mean a Last Man Standing match isn't that suspenseful for Rollins because if both guys get counted out, he still retains. If they were gonna do a title change after months of Nakamura softening up Rollins back and finally pull the trigger on Rollins, dark evil dastardly evil Nakamura who cuts promos and they translate his Japanese into subtitles, that worked.

But that failed, and now Nakamura is back to where he was five years ago, and now he's feuding with Ricochet. This is the ceiling for Nakamura. He can never get elevated. He can never be that main eventer.

That said, I do kind of like how they started things with McIntyre and Rollins. McIntyre's not a heel but I liked that he didn't really help Rollins with Priest, but he did prevent the MITB cash-in. I thought that was cool.

I don't think Reed is going to beat Gunther, but they've at least done a fairly decent build for him for this IC title bout over the last month. I kind of feel Reed's just been on and off since he came back, but he finally has some consistent momentum again. And he's on a winning streak, none of this 50/50 garbage.

Not sure why they are doing a singles vignette for Ludwig Kaiser when he and Vinci look to be feuding with DIY. I mean yeah I see that potential in Kaiser, but putting that vignette out there seems premature. I would've held onto that until Imperium breaks up and goes their separate ways.

I think having Cody and Jey win the tag titles was pointless. Does really nothing for either guy. Not really sure what the whole plan is for Jey now. If you want to make him a singles guy now, make him a singles guy. I still think that breakup with Jimmy was badly done and executed. 

4 hours ago, username said:

So... is Tegan Nox supposed to be good as she looked very not good in the ring tonight. She runs in the ring (particularly corner to corner) like a celebrity wrestler, and not the recent surprisingly good crop of them.

Three major knee surgeries, plus ring rust from not working much. Add to that it's probably going to take a long while before she regains confidence that her knees are going to hold up.

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not sure why they are doing a singles vignette for Ludwig Kaiser when he and Vinci look to be feuding with DIY. I mean yeah I see that potential in Kaiser, but putting that vignette out there seems premature. I would've held onto that until Imperium breaks up and goes their separate ways.

the weird thing about that vignette to me was how dated it seemed -- like it's from when they were briefly trying to give GUNTHER a stereotypical finisher (the emerald flosion, as "the last symphony"). The bit with the hand sanitizer also felt a lot more Previous Creative Regime than anything we've seen recently from Kaiser et al.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

so Pillman Jr changed his name because he resents his real father.  even though according to Dark Side show, the man he is naming himself after beat the ever loving shit out of him and was a scumbag. 

Sure  😬

It's relatable to how some people really feel about their situation. Not necessarily the kind of relatable that we wanna think about though.

Was it good or bad for Pillmanito that he wasn't in AEW once Christian began going after the dead dads?

16 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

the weird thing about that vignette to me was how dated it seemed -- like it's from when they were briefly trying to give GUNTHER a stereotypical finisher (the emerald flosion, as "the last symphony"). The bit with the hand sanitizer also felt a lot more Previous Creative Regime than anything we've seen recently from Kaiser et al.

It was admittedly out of place, and it was also fucking great.

• Like 4

Thought they did a good job of using the main roster people to facilitate the NXT roster and not overshadow them. That said the show seemed really packed and I wished some things got a little bit more time to breathe. 

Felt like Asuka and Roxanne never really got on the same page in their match. Roxanne has been using a lot of complex pins which look great when she's able to execute them but both this week and last week she's had a bit of difficulty with them. I imagine they'll go smoother with time, especially as her opponents get to know her spots. The announcement of Shotzi and Scarlett being hosts for Night 1 of Halloween Havoc is a nice tie-in to their haunted destinations videos and like that we have Shotzi/Kiana in the future.

Gallus/Big Brawling Brutes was fun with some creative spots. Ridge Holland still might be my most improved wrestler for 2023.

Nice seeing Tegan Nox showing up and possibly show some heelish overtones. A lot of her Main Event stuff had her working as a heel and think it might work out better for her than spunky babyface. Certainly would be more exciting than a tag team with Natalya which seemed to be what was being teased on Raw.

Shockingly John Cena was masterful dealing with the crowd and it's amazing how much better Bron is as a heel than he ever was as the vanilla babyface. 

Like the "Bada Bing, Bada Boom" battle royal concept especially with how little the tag team division has been featured since No Mercy.

Ilja/Dom was fun. Nice mix of Ilja's dominance and Dom cheating to get on offense. LA Knight was a nice treat for the crowd but really had no bearing on the match till helping to prevent the interference at the end. Dijak stealing Corbin's thunder to set up the three way #1 contender match was a nice swerve. Still think we get Corbin/Ilja at HH with Dijak having the unfinished business with Thorpe.

I didn't feel like there was a whole lot of doubt that Lola was going over Dani Palmer but they both got to spotlight some of their stuff in a solid match. Still feel like the crowd actually subtracts a bit from Vice's matches but that might just be me. The kick that Vice hit on a jumping Palmer did look great.

The Brian Pillman Jr. spot wasn't where I expected them to go with him but it has me interested. Haven't been really blown away by the little of him I've seen in the past but maybe in a less workrate centric environment he might be able to find something to lock on to.

Hayes/Breakker was probably the least of their matches but they continue to work in a lot of new spots. The saving of the top rope spot ended up looking nastier than anything they were potentially going for. Really have to wonder how much longer they can keep Bron on Tuesdays before moving him up to the main roster. Not sure how much there is left to do with him except maybe letting Von Wagner get some degree of comeuppance. 

Gotta love them continuing to roll out Jade Cargill to keep people guessing. Also will be interesting to see if they actually pay off the possibility of Ava Raine joining the Bloodline.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

The Brian Pillman Jr. spot wasn't where I expected them to go with him but it has me interested. Haven't been really blown away by the little of him I've seen in the past but maybe in a less workrate centric environment he might be able to find something to lock on to.

Granted it was a pre-tape vignette, but that's the first time I have seen him where I've gone "he might be a decent promo." At least the curiosity is sparked.

Also, I've seen Bron wrestle a few times, but I guess I've not heard much of his mike work. He speaking patterns and voice sounds a little close to his uncle right now. 

LMAO they really had Taker come out and kill Bron. You have maybe one of your biggest audiences and that’s how they a star. I also thought Cena being out there making Ilja look like an ant was an odd choice.

In fact, it was just a weird use of all of the stars not named Becky, Dom, or Rhea.

• Like 1

Also, does the NXT arena usually sound like that, like there's a big ass fan or air conditioner running in the background? That was really distracting. It made it sound like they were filming inside a warehouse, which, I guess, they kinda are.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

LMAO they really had Taker come out and kill Bron. You have maybe one of your biggest audiences and that’s how they a star.

It's a weird WWE trope that if you're in a ring with a legend, regardless of what happens, you belong in the ring with that legend.    

Of course, as we all know, it usually ends with new guy/gal catching a beating, cf. the Wyatts at Mania, and the like 30 guys that have eaten stunners from Austin at big shows. But I guess the idea is, no one will remember how it ended, just that it happened.  Which... isn't the worst idea.  But certainly isn't the best.  

And yes, that was the best NXT crowd in a long ass time. It appeared that either a) the regulars were awake or b) they were replaced by actual legitimate fans.  Which reminds me...   they really gotta start touring again.  Even if it's just throughout Florida and the southeast.  Something to change the actual people in front of the performers. 

• Like 2

They did sound a whole lot louder last night, but I also thought they may have been mic'd louder and that's where the background noise was coming from because on TV it really did sound like there were these industrial sized air conditioners running and I don't remember that before.

I did laugh at Cena seeing and knowing the one guy in the crowd yelling CENA SUCKS.