DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Nevermind, I miswatched the video, thought Callis was kicking the fan in the head and it was Kenny haha

Seems like there’s a better video with a stamp that says tjsportsmx but it’s not on their Twitter. I don’t have ig. 

it’s a 2:55 here. It was a photographer

Edited by matt925

Ian Riccaboni Signs Multi-Year Deal with AEW

Fightful Select reports that Ian Riccaboni has signed a new multi-year contract with All Elite Wrestling. Riccaboni has been calling the action for ROH and last night worked Collision and Battle of the Belts VII. He will continue to work Collision while Kevin Kelly is in Japan to cover the NJPW G1. He may also call episodes of Dynamite and Rampage when Excalibur needs time off.

Riccaboni reportedly got “heavy praise” backstage for his work last night. He was actually offered the job full time when the show was announced, but didn’t want to do it full-time for family reasons and recommended Kelly.

• Like 9

I really don’t need to see them have more time. As much as I like Eddie’s mean shoulder/throat chops, I never need to see that match up again. I have regrets I watched it instead of Cassidy vs Archer in the window I had this evening. Eddie against Japanese guys just deadens everything interesting about him. The contrast just isn’t there. 

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing, one of my least favourite tropes in wrestling is when somebody turns and they get a completely new personality for no adequately-explained reason.

Such as Jungle Boy. Why is he suddenly a poltroon? Makes no sense given his character to date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if there's any purpose to the QTV/Acclaimed feud besides giving both groups something to do, but they really need to turn Harley Cameron face and have her joined the Acclaimed. She has way too much likable goofy energy and is a bit too talented to pull off the ironic pop star gimmick.

Meanwhile, Taya is floundering as a face and could easily slide right in as the "real talent" QT and Johnny push Harley out for.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Meanwhile, Taya is floundering as a face and could easily slide right in as the "real talent" QT and Johnny push Harley out for.

She was a heel until Friday!

The alignments change so quickly now, you'd think Paul Wight was in creative.

Give me your chop spots, your 90’s wrestler cosplay, Your huddled masses yearning to do moves of their heroes, The wretched refuse of your Indy roster. Send these, the sharpshooting, Four-Pillar-inspired to me, I lift my tentacles beside the Forbidden Door!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Dog said:

She was a heel until Friday!

The alignments change so quickly now, you'd think Paul Wight was in creative.

Was she? She was kind of a tweener being noticeably bitter about Stat taking her glory, but I don't remember her going full heel before becoming Ms. Canada this week.

The idea that someone could be a huge heel everywhere, but a massive babyface in their hometown is far from unprecedented in AEW. MJF in Long Island is the obvious example, but not the only one.

18 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

they really need to turn Harley Cameron face and have her joined the Acclaimed. She has way too much likable goofy energy and is a bit too talented to pull off the ironic pop star gimmick.

is this a real take? she (and QTV as a whole, minus Powerhouse Hobbs) have fully landed in my 'fast forward' list. i see zero redeeming qualities.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, twiztor said:

is this a real take? she (and QTV as a whole, minus Powerhouse Hobbs) have fully landed in my 'fast forward' list. i see zero redeeming qualities.

Can't vouch for their take but I personally like QTV and wonder where it's going to go.

While everyone was raving about the 2/3 falls match or something from NOAH or whatever, QT quietly had one of my favorite matches last week, at TripleMania.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

She actually has a pretty impressive flow considering, if they wanted to go for some Iggy Azalea deal with her (as a heel) it could work. In terms of in-ring, I only recall one match and she was fine. I would not putThe Acclaimed with her, though.

• Like 1