DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/28 - 7/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Don CALLIS said on Jericho’s podcast he was looking to add more family members, and on the podcast I found him to be a rational man with well reasoned arguments 

I've been a fan of his since ECW (had no idea he was so good when he was The Jackyl) and it's been nice seeing him get such good heat on a stage as big as AEW. He does have a little bit of that old school flair I talked about avoiding, with the jackets and shit, but I think it would work; it's a high profile spot and I think the rewards would outweigh the risk in that pairing 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've been a fan of his since ECW (had no idea he was so good when he was The Jackyl) and it's been nice seeing him get such good heat on a stage as big as AEW. He does have a little bit of that old school flair I talked about avoiding, with the jackets and shit, but I think it would work; it's a high profile spot and I think the rewards would outweigh the risk in that pairing 

Mentioning the Jackyl made me realize what a missed opportunity there was when his "private security" wasn't Recon, Sniper, and Kurrigan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That was some Jerry Lawler/Jos LeDuc shit, where Jerry sliced his muscle in his side (go look it up, or watch the Vice Territories episode). I was SHOCKED he finished. 

The rest of it was a blast to watch and everyone in the chat is the best. Claudio was MVP for the faces he was pulling. Taz saying "Idaho Jones" because someone got potatoed, and Jericho saying "primordal (sic) ooze" which caused Renee and Sammy to almost lose it to where Sammy couldn't even talk, were hilarious. There was blood eve-ry-where tonight. And Canada made Keith Lee a made man. 

Also... yes... we need a Wrestler Spiked Jacket Poll. Jericho only rates a 5/10 -- pushing it too hard. I know I've posted on here who the best one is but don't remember. WE NEED A POLL DAMMIT 😄

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Sting clearly does not share my concern for his general well-being. Why'd they put the tables so far away 😅

Judging from the look on his face, he was asking the exact same question. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh man. You cannot start out much hawtter than Mox vs Stone Pitbull. More than met my very high expectations. Is Mox's rose tattoo new? Speaking of Rose Tattoo, "We Can't Be Beaten" might not be a bad entrance theme for BCC at B&G. Anyone else old enough to get that reference? LOVED Kingston's involvement, and hope they keep Mad King vs Titty Master going after B&G.

After THAT opener, I honestly figured, "It's all downhill from here, and that's OK" But: Nooooope.  Limitless Orange Vikings vs Cool Magic Death was way better than I expected. LOVED the extremely Cassidy backstory they provided for the fight! They used Keith Lee like WWWF used to use Andre in trios matches, keeping  him on the apron until it was time to clean house. The subsequent cut-off meandered a bit, but the finish was excellent.

If Silver is next to leave Dark Order he could join Hanger, Matt, and Nick to form

Spoiler

The Hungie Bucks

and go for the 8-man titles!

I TOTALLY bought that one Silver near-fall.

Hook vs Jungle Boy could be REALLY good. 

I am SO stoked for Dustin vs Hobbs.

If I were paying for ROH I would be mad that Claudio is defending the ROH title on AEW TV, I think. But I am not. (I LOVE JD Drake, Bear Country, Gates of Agony, and Athena... But I have managed to live in Japan for YEARS without a credit card. I don't want to get one just so I can watch them) SO... I am STOKED.

DMD probably getting the flu from her boyfriend is a weirdly romantic notion, to me. I have been there. Sickness spreading to everyone in my family. Taking turns taking care of each other.

When the metal bats knocked together did anyone else yell,

Spoiler

It's... DING!!!

I KNOW I am not the only one who yelled 'NOOOOOOOOOOO! " when Sting decided to take the too-far table dive. Hope he's not hurt! That was better than the Forbidden Door match. 

Hell of a show. Started out white hot and kept going.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

That was a great untreated ADHD professional wrestling episode. So much good and bad and things I do not remember even though I just watched.

1) That main event was so bizarre and weird.

A) Man, does anyone have the ability to tell Jericho that the Painmaker stuff completely sucks? It is so completely lame, complete with a 2002-style remix of his theme. Sammy was hilarious there standing during the promo.

B) Sammy has very nice handwriting. I cracked up at the sign that said “Darby Allin, my eternal adversary.” I would do anything if someone were to make a sign that said I was their eternal adversary. 

C) That match was so bizarre. I love a good garbage match car wreck. This had so much good chaos like Darby’s commitment to debilitating spinal surgery. That table spot was a fantastic bad idea. I really wish we saw Sting go up there and just say “yeah, no thanks, this is too far” and they go from there. I want to see that for the safety of Sting as well as what happens when you have to call an audible for such a ridiculous spot. I thought for sure Sting was going to lead to rib fractures so severe he would immediately catch a respiratory illness due to having exposed lungs. 

D) Do you know what you should do though at the end of a match that involved that table spot, the usage of metal baseball bats, weaponized skateboards and more? A bunch of finisher spam before leading to a submission tap out from a guy’s 1992 finisher.

Best match was the funhouse weirdness of Garcia/2.0 and the OC/Vikingo/Keith Lee match. Those random pairings and the like are the best part about AEW.

The Bucks/Page versus Dark Order match was also fun. But man you’re doing two “friends conflicted f when they have to fight” twice in the same show and also involving the same feud. Come on, separate that stuff.

Heel Ruby rules. 

Jungle Boy needs to figure out his heel voice. A lot of that was just wrote bad insults and a lot of him thinking “I have to look at the crowd now” moments. Man, I found the 90210 channel on Pluto TV, let me get this for you TK. There’s money to be made if Jungle Boy leans into doing a 90210 character.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

The way Sting landed on that replay, I wouldn’t be surprised if he bit off part of his tongue or something. He smacked his chin pretty hard on the second table.

His fucking face bounced off the edge of the table, it was nuts!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Anyone else old enough to get that reference?

Not really but I know Rose Tattoo 😉

EDIT: I was never really a big fan? I mean I like 'em but they're no AC/DC, who are the closest combo I can put 'em next to. Everyone always says they're hot shit and I'm like, "ehhh, okay". That is definitely not how I usually feel about an OG band.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

That was just a wild weird episode with a lot more blood than the PPV.

Opener was just brutal, think Mox got busted open hardway in three different parts of his face, and the first Death Rider was a scary headdrop on Ishii. The Claudio-Kingston stare down through the match was just great stuff.

As much as I hate MJF’s meandering promos, I like most of his backstage skit-type stuff. He and Cole definitely have a weird chemistry.

the Mox-Kingston backstage with Renee in the middle was awesome.

Only things wrong with the first trios was that 2.0 was horribly rusty and out of sync, and Vikingo didn’t do a moonsault off of Keith Lee’s chest. They did get really close to a press vault onto the top turnbuckle from the floor, though. Also, the set-up was gold.

The Dark Order-Elite match set up was great payoff to long-term storytelling, and the match was good stuff too. I too almost bit on Silver getting a shock pin off their crazy combo move series. And then the aftermath with Page gushing blood, Soup beating up Bucks, and Claudio’s torture of Eddie was obviously a set up to Blood and Guts and I.AM.HERE.FOR.IT. Poor Yuta is going to die for Claudio’s sins though.

Perry doing a mix of Christian and Raven has some potential although he’s never going to be much on the mic, but the question becomes can he wrestle like a heel?

The Ruby squash was a good short notice pivot, and her post-match promo deserved more from a disinterested crowd.

Other than the main event, Friday looks weak but Collision is loaded with something for everyone (and I WILL set my DVR).

My wife was mocking Jericho’s Painmaker look, as was I. It is, as the youth say, cringe. Match itself was a good brawl that will always be remembered for a 62-year-old Sting nearly Leslie-ing his face on a table doing a ladder spot from the ring and at distance that would’ve been tough for Darby to nail. Before the spot, when they cut to that guy in the crowd with his mouth agape and eyes wide in worry/fear, I was making that very same face at home. I think Darby’s adjustment of the broken rear table leg made it extra sturdy accidentally. Hope everyone is ok, Sammy definitely took a lot more weight and a worse bump than he was expecting too. I like the finish fine, people want to see Sting win with a Scorpion Deathlock. 

• Like 4

I just have to say... this blind draw tag tourney so far is the least convincing example of a random draw I think I have ever seen in wrestling, I don't even think that one Battlebowl was as obviously not random as this has been so far. Three teams, two of them made up of people actively feuding (or at least theoretically so when it comes to whatever the hell is going on with Keith Lee and Swerve) and the third is the company's big go-to house show tag team that has gotten more regular work together the past couple months on TV. I'm not gonna sit here and say that the matches are gonna suck or what have you (although I wonder how much "can they possibly co-exist?" I can handle) but jesus, neither WWE or WCW at their worst were ever this transparently poor at this.

...Yes i know it isn't a big deal, I just had to get it off of my chest.

• Like 2

Super fun show. Moxley/Ishii was a blast, loved the exchange of lariats and running knees for 1 counts. 

Trios tag 1 was the best. Keith Lee dyed his hair back and seemed to be returning to form here and getting huge pops throughout. Garcia building up to the dance and then doing it on top of Lee's back was absolute greatness. 

Dark Order got some real good near falls. Dug the post match set up of Blood and Guts in Boston. 

RIP Tarzan Boy :(, biggest reason I knew I'd hate to see Jack turn, the end of such an epic theme song. The chase scene ruled though.  Nice to see Alexia Nicole for a couple minutes

Wild main event. Great finishing stretch delivering on the long awaited Sting/Jericho interaction, more blood, and we even got a little bit of an overrun. 

• Like 4