DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/26/2023

The Natural

Bad episode for the most part. I didn't like Takeshita doing the lazy pin on Butcher, but maybe that was a receipt for Butcher not selling the bodypress earlier in the match.

Jarrett not getting referenced as either a former world champion or Hall of Famer is weird and they could definitely do more with him - Dax looked off tonight but Jeff held it together

17 minutes ago, just drew said:

Why would anyone believe [Adam Cole] could kick Jericho’s ass?

well Jericho is pretty old, so..

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Booking of the Pillars fatal 4 way is nearing the height of convoluted bullshit.

There'll be a McMahon Pillar in every corner for that main event. Gonna be a test to see how good the predictable ending of MJF/Sammy vs Darby/Jungle Boy is... because that ending is gonna be some form of heel miscommunication, the faces win, and then the heels fight among themselves, right?

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

well Jericho is pretty old, so..

There'll be a McMahon Pillar in every corner for that main event. Gonna be a test to see how good the predictable ending of MJF/Sammy vs Darby/Jungle Boy is... because that ending is gonna be some form of heel miscommunication, the faces win, and then the heels fight among themselves, right?

Nah, MJF pisses Sammy off, Sammy walks away and Darby gets a not-entirely-clean pin on MJF?

13 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Bad episode for the most part. I didn't like Takeshita doing the lazy pin on Butcher, but maybe that was a receipt for Butcher not selling the bodypress earlier in the match.

Jarrett not getting referenced as either a former world champion or Hall of Famer is weird and they could definitely do more with him - Dax looked off tonight but Jeff held it together

Jarrett's Chyron mentioned he was a 10 time world champion when he was coming out, but yeah Jeff definitely held that match down with a rough looking Dax. I wish we got Wheeler (Cash or Yuta???) instead.

• Like 3

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Sammy walking off turning his singles title match into a four way would be... a choice.

Ok, I'll walk it back. Momentary Sammy/MJF argument, instigated by Max (that is built to over the whole match) leads to the finish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Ok, I'll walk it back. Momentary Sammy/MJF argument, instigated by Max (that is built to over the whole match) leads to the finish.

Ah yes, the ol’ EWR staple: opponent miscommunication!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I love that Roderick Strong's debut was kept a surprise. I hadn't heard anything about Roderick since WWE denied him his release. Now, he gets to work with his friends again, his wife, and gets Killswitch Engage as his entrance theme. I'd be pretty happy about that. 

• Like 10

Goddammit Roderick Strong. Apparently I have not suffered enough.

Not much of a memorable Dynamite, but after last week it was a breeze. Jarrett-Dax was fun, albeit with some awkward exchanges.

Sammy and MJF are killing the backstage stuff, salvaging what’s been a rough angle.

Dug Hayter and Britt’s we’re coming for you promo. They looked badass. Even in a sling Hayter seems like the biggest bad ass.

Hopefully the Butcher, Blade, and Sabian get something out of the main event. They’d be fun TV angle challengers for the Trios

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sammy walking off turning his singles title match into a four way would be... a choice.

would the four corners clearly be elimination rules? it would kinda make sense for Sammy to make it a four corners match so he could win the title without pinning MJF if it's one-fall

For the record, I think that three way/four corners matches should just steal the rules from Lucha and have three way/four corners title matches end when the champion is involved in the fall.

So if the first fall is Sammy/Darby, the match goes on, but the match ends once MJF is involved in a fall either way.

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Tony Schiavone needs to do some goddamned community theater so he can convincingly fake half of a phone call.

so Tony Schiavone didn't have any Bob Newhart albums as a kid?

although with the bluetooth headsets, you can badly fake a phone call in all sorts of new ways

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

NO.

Anyhoo, Jamie looked a hell of a lot like Uma Thurman tonight. And do you think they're gonna bring back Bobby Fish anytime? He looked great when he was there and it might give reDragon some (any) kind of spark. 

He talked some shit about TK, didn’t he? Also, UE in AEW doesn’t do anything for anyone.

Opener was great and I agree with Dean that Bandido should’ve won. I guess I like the idea of them as a duo.

MJF and Sammy backstage were funny as hell. Darby and Jack were awful.

I thought Dax-Jarrett was a great old school match and didn’t think anything looked that rough. Having Sonjay come out and interfere without a DQ sucked, especially given what was to come.

Sammy and Darby was definitely not what was expected coming in, built to the big spots really well, and the wild 630 to the table looked brutal. Then it turned to shit with the DQ.

Wardlow is back to square one but with Arn Anderson talking for him. Not Arn’s best work. I was excited about Wardlow-Christian then I remembered it was actually Luchasaurus.

Adam Cole here to be the least convincing tough guy in a company with Jack Perry. Not sure why they bring OC and Bandido in. Roderick Strong was a surprise, if nothing else. I guess with a Saturday show and ROH there’s lots of roster space. Wish Kyle O’Reilly were healed and ready.

Taya tried (she literally did 100% of the work on the Canadian Destroyer) but the women’s match was awful and the angle was terrible and nonsensical. Is she not capable of winning a match without her finisher? Is Taya a heel, going after Aubrey? Is Jade a heel who thinks she’s a face? Is the reign of terror ever going to end?

Jayme looks tough, Britt is Britt, and the asshole in me thinks it would be pretty funny to have them crown someone as an Interim champion.

Main had some rough patches and a little too much ignoring of tag team rules even by the house style, but I’m a big fan of Kenny and a huge fan of Lard Lad. Honestly, I never thought they could turn BCC heel and yet I think they found a way. The Jacksons super kick run ins are comical.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 5

I saw very little (Just the Wardlow match basically and the pretty funny MJF/Sammy backstage bit) but I did catch the clip of Roddy showing up and I am happy for the guy and his absolutely primal scream. He was feeling the moment.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

THE END OF HEARTACHE! Huge pop for that, was not expecting it at all despite just recently wondering about Strong. I was thinking maybe Kyle was coming back for the save, then when the Killswitch music hit, awesome. Welcome to the team

Very good back to back matches with Bandido/Orange and Jarrett/Dax. Commentary def also mentioned Jarrett being a 10 time world champ. Digging the Wardlow/Arn pairing so far.

Really like the Owen Cup running through the Canada tour loop and ending in Calgary, perfect fit. 

Sammy/Darby was fun setting up a teddy long style announcement of we are going to have ourselves...... a tag Team match! next week. Laughed at the camera looking in to MJF's car when he told Sammy it was full.

I had forgot about the Kenny/Takeshita tag, so I was thinking Jade/Taya was the main event and had me worried for The Streak. Loved the Canadian Destroyer. Glad Jade retained still.

Excalibur was going extra hard on the run through of upcoming events. Solid main event and post-match angle.

• Like 4