DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/26/2023

The Natural

Jack Perry so has anti charisma. As different iterations of characters are the thing right now with Michael Keaton back as Batman (any time I can reference Batman, I'm taking it!) and before that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), I amuse myself with a Bizarro Jack Perry.

• Like 3

If the four pillars match was on the undercard on a nine match card I’d figure it would be entertaining. Nothing about this is interesting to me at all. 

I did however love elite vs bcc fighting over our boy Takeshita. 

• Like 1

Taya is a sore loser, walks weirdly, and I still don't like her.

Is Bandito a Best Friend now?

Can't say I was thinking the answer to the question of "Who's going to save that coward Adam Cole now?" to be Roderick Strong. Does this mean O'Riley will be back soon?

Apparently merely mentioning The Worst Friends summons the BCC (good!) and despite loving RJ City, I'm still not gonna boo them.

Konosuke is Sting to The Worst Friends' Horsemen; he's way above their league and needs to be with BCC.

Edit:
The Mystery QTV guy is back, and he had on the SAME SHIRT AS RJ.

I loved Tony finally getting (some) comeuppance, then having fun with pickles (looked them up, real product releasing tomorrow)

R.I.P. Color Ropes

Edited by The Green Meanie

Quick thoughts on something as I'm getting the 10 year old out the door for Take Your Kid to Work Day:

Cassidy is everything I wanted Danielson to be. I think everyone on the board, at one point or another, thought that Danielson would be a great sort of "open challenge" TNT champ where he got to wrestle guys from in and out of the company, all around the world every week. We got a taste of that earlier this year with the MJF angle. And now we get that almost every week with Cassidy. I think Cassidy really does it better. Tonight was a great example. He adapted so well to Bandido, really picking up the pace to hit the lucha spots, and made Bandido adapt to him with the shtick early. He went out of his way to highlight Bandidio's literal strength but also his strengths as a wrestler and work that into the act and into the match. It's all the stuff that Danielson has failed to fully capitalize on with the Dark Order during the Page feud and that he only did with varying success during the MJF feud. Cassidy manages it every week with such a wide variety of opponents.

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't love that Jade/Taya for the title is tonight, with not a lot of fanfare (for those that just watch Dynamite). Taya coming to AEW should have been a bigger deal, she's been successful in various promotions and countries over the years and was probably the most well-known available female wrestler. 

This was my issue too. Match definitely should have been hyped more and Taya played up more as an actual threat. 

• Like 2

Man, they weren't afraid to chump a bunch of folks on finishes last night. Dax, Taya, Darby... also, didn't they make a whole deal about how they were cracking down on their referees looking like idiots?

• Like 5

Kind of a weird choice to bring OC/Bandido into the Adam Cole business instead of just merging the Acclaimed/JAS and Cole/JAS feuds, which seems like the logical progression.

I bet it really chaps Dax's ass that Cassidy had a better match with Jarrett than he did.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I bet it really chaps Dax's ass that Cassidy had a better match with Jarrett than he did.

Dax looked rough. Very telling that a supposedly "old school" dude can't work a bona-fide Memphis match as well as the guy with the most YouTube-friendly gimmick on the roster, or the tag team with the Attitude Era gimmick.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Dax looked rough. Very telling that a supposedly "old school" dude can't work a bona-fide Memphis match as well as the guy with the most YouTube-friendly gimmick on the roster, or the tag team with the Attitude Era gimmick.

Neither guy's execution was great but I think the layout of the match was the problem.  Jarrett was never really a guy that could do counter-counter-counter sequences and definitely isn't one at this point in his career.  OC came to Jarrett and worked his kind of match and it turned out great.  Dax tried to meet him not-quite halfway and no one came out looking good.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have a lot more to say about the show tomorrow (Lots to like! Hundreds of miles ahead of last week!) but the real news coming out of tonight besides Strong:

The mother effin' black ropes are back!!!

58 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

About damn time.

Furgy2PWYAIwALn?format=jpg&name=small

Thought of you when the ring ropes were back in black. Also new black/grey barricades to go with.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Furgy2PWYAIwALn?format=jpg&name=small

Thought of you when the ring ropes were back in black. Also new black/grey barricades to go with.

Guess they decided having WWE-lite presentation along with WWE-lite booking and promos was overkill

• Like 3

I like Roddy as a depth guy for AEW/ROH. OC walking in on Cole's interview time was great too, and gave some continuity for the save later.

Not much else to say about this show, it was total filler. The writing for the major angles is really stuck in the mud.

• Like 4

This was an improvement from last week, but that's not saying much. Just about anything would be. That said, I thought this was a good episode. Everything was paced well, the matches were good, but shit is missing. Where the fuck is the House of Black?! How do the House of Black continue to get relegated off of TV? Like, they had a budding feud with OC, so why did everything seemingly end with the OC vs Buddy match? The logical progression would have been Black or King to say "you may have gotten through Buddy, but you're not getting through me. The International Championship is coming to the House of Black, one way, or another." Instead...NOTHING. Nothing post match. And then later in the night OC gets himself on the radar of the JAS. The fuck is going on?

That said, OC is the absolute MVP of the company. I brought him up as being the top face of the company in that other thread and everything he has done since keeps pointing in that direction. I'd much rather have OC vying for the World title and feuding with MJF that this 4 pillars stuff.

I do like how the World title angle has developed into giving us the 4 way. The way it started with a 3 man tournament was clunky as hell, but at least we can see how we'll wind up with a 4 way for the title.

Doing one week of Christian and Luchasaurus staring down Wardlow is enough. Doing it for two weeks straight is some TNA level shit. I kept getting awful flashbacks of cutting to Tito then cutting to Kennedy then cutting to Tito, then cutting to Bully, then cutting to Tito, then cutting to Kennedy again. Let these motherfuckers fight.

And I think that kind of brings me to my biggest issue with AEW and it's been my issue with WWE for decades now, but I want to see wild, unpredictable, but logical shit. I want to see motherfuckers fighting other motherfuckers and for a while in AEW, that's what we had and it was awesome. I knew that if I tuned in on a Wednesday I was going to see some wild shit that was going to feel real. Stuff would be happening all over the arena. Remember that? Remember how regular it would be where some shit would be going on by the announce booth and then it's like, oh shit, people are out fighting in common areas, or dudes are brawling in the back and someone opens a door and OC is just standing there, and then this would happen and this other thing would happen and it ruled. Now though? They've settled into this Raw/SD/NXT type booking and presentation and I feel that a lot of that is due to hiring corporate production people from WWE, or hiring people like Pat Buck or others from WWE. The more people they fold in from TNA or WWE, the more it's going to feel like that utter fucking bullshit. That's not what made me fall in love with AEW. And yeah, there's a brawl every week, but so much of it doesn't feel organic anymore. It all feels very manufactured. I'm sure it's stressful as fuck to book a show that was as wild and out as those first couple years of AEW, but you have to find a way and the answer can't be to hire these folks from WWE or TNA just because they have experience. I still like AEW a ton, but I don't like the direction they're headed in.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

If they are going to fiddle with rope colors, go with blue/black/yellow. Make it happen, Tony. Make everyone mad.

That would make me happy. I loved that setup in like '88-89 NWA.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So aside from the obvious in OC/Bandido what should I go out of my way to catch?

I apparently liked Jarrett-Dax better than most. Sammy-Darby was not the crazy death spotfest that was expected but did have a crazy death spot. The main event tag was fine but not sure if worth going out of your way for. The Jade match was not good and poorly booked and Wardlow had a squash, which both sound like a repeat from last summer.

• Like 3

Dax-Jarrett was fine aside from the obvious mishap during a rope-running sequence. The way people are talking, you'd think he looked totally washed. I wonder if the negative attention he received from the podcast has translated into people taking a more severely critical eye to his stuff that he's managed to avoid till now. Just a thought.

• Like 3