DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Another thing about Wrestlemania is.. I don't know if it's due to an obvious improvement or better camera work, but the people on the hard cam at Wrestlemania didn't look like they were being held hostage and forced to attend the show.

Now I don't watch Raw regularly enough to know if that type of fan is still all over Raw even when it's HHH and not Vince running the show.

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Another thing about Wrestlemania is.. I don't know if it's due to an obvious improvement or better camera work, but the people on the hard cam at Wrestlemania didn't look like they were being held hostage and forced to attend the show.

Now I don't watch Raw regularly enough to know if that type of fan is still all over Raw even when it's HHH and not Vince running the show.

I think the fans were just genuinely happy to be there and react to everything.  The stories have been good, the character work has been good. Obviously, that can all change now that Vince appears to be back in Gorilla but it was a pretty good 8 months of booking with some hot angles.  It's probably the most I've enjoyed WWE since around 2012-2014.  

• Like 2

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

also, have they managed to dial back the really annoying Kevin Dunn traits over time with HHH (except for camera angle cuts on strikes) or have I managed to tune that out?

I was just about to say I heard the jump cutting was minimized this year. 

1 hour ago, Red King said:

Best to create the new weekly WWE thread instead of opening up the old one.

Fingers crossed people can contain their emotions when people disagree about wrestling. Throwing fits, purposely misquoting, grand standing, etc. It’s tough to discuss Politics, Religion, and Pro Wrestling.

@Niners Fan in CT, I’ve been meaning to subscribe to Wrestle Universe or the Honor Club. Maybe next paycheck, but of course I keep telling myself that.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

How many people that have been brought back are fucking kicking themselves today? Bronson Reed had a solid thing going with a New Japan push. Vince is back and he's certainly going to fade into a Main Event guy. Karion Cross better have had the foresight to write a no gladiator helmet clause into his deal. Regal is certainly not going to be Vince's Head of Talent Development. Vince says he's just going to be the overview guy and not get into the weeds. The overview guy doesn't get on the headsets. The overview guy doesn't order re-writes.

Short of a stupid amount of money I think Reed was dumb for coming back regardless of who is charge. He seemed to have a good spot with NJPW that likely would have only gotten better for him with time. Kross is Kross. He likely never does too well for that simple reason and this is better pay for him than the indies. Vince likes Regal and vice versa. Feels like Regal could go either way depending on which jobs hatchets will be taken to over the next couple of months. 

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

Both when Vince decides to hire Jay, and he makes them form a team called the White Knights. 

... is that not supposed to be pretty damn awesome?!??!  Like calling Zayn and Owens the Wild SamOwens??

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Red King said:

Seems Bayley is getting the Sasha Banks goodbye treatment in WWE, so she's signed with WWE but off TV until her contract is up.

If she's not on TV next week, it's going to leave increased speculation that she wants out. She and Sasha carried the show in the pandemic era especially pre thunderdome. She was also instrumental in Io and Dakota coming back. It would suck for them to be left without her but with Vince being back, Io and Dakota would probably resume teaming without acknowledging Damage CNTL ever existed. 

Bayley is more of a HHH guy than a Vince guy but Hunter hasn't booked her too good since he's been in charge so you can't blame her if she does decide not to resign or request her release. I'd imagine Vince wouldn't want her to go. He's kept people around way below her on the card.

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

Both when Vince decides to hire Jay, and he makes them form a team called the White Knights. 

they can do a bit where they interject themselves in to all the womens' feuds and condescendingly mediate

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would love to have all of these subs but I already have a lot of subs that I have no time to watch lol

Same boat, time and money.  I have to space out my wrestling viewings quite a bit. As for channels, we have like Netflix and Peacock stuff like that. Then something will come up where we have to pay. I was debating on possibly trying out a wrestling one and then new car issues it makes sense to add AAA. So I kick that can down the road for a paycheck or two. 

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Another cool  moment I had last week at the FTR live show:

That's awesome! Hobbs was here a few months back for a Defy show. Sadly I was unable to go, but I heard a few people who did go (and got to meet him) that he's a super nice guy. Which of course is why he's such an excellent heel.

• Like 2

Even though I (like most people) am not happy about Vince seemingly taking back some control of creative, I do think a lot of the reports are way overblown as far as the roster reaction. I have no doubt some aren't happy about it, especially the ones Triple H re-hired. But seeing reports/arguments that Kevin Owens or Asuka or Becky or anyone else is unhappy just doesn't strike me as realistic. Most of the wrestlers signed when Vince was in charge. Owens, Sami, Styles, etc. all re-upped within the last two years when Vince had creative. I'm not judging them, everyone has their own priorities and their own relationship with Vince, but the fact is they had no issue before so why would they now?

Any social media silliness about 'wrestlers need to do a massive walkout' or the like just feels like fans pushing their own narrative with little to no basis of fact. As Seth said in an interview last week, he doesn't always agree with his position or storylines but overall WWE is the place for him to be, he isn't going anywhere and neither are probably 90% of the roster if they had their choice. They will adjust and maybe we'll end up with some hybrid Vince/HHH booked show that will look weird but ultimately will keep people happy enough.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit. Vicki responded to Sherilyn in about the most tone deaf way imaginable.

I am on Twitter for the AEW Barbie tie-ins, and then I made a wrong turn somewhere. Anyone know how I can get out of this strange place?

And no, odessa, Vickie wasn't talking about Bob Roop and company when she was talking about Plan B.

I thought about posting her diatribe on here, but fuck that. People can seek it out if they want. It's just so gross. Hey we bought you two cars and bought you Plan B. Also, watch me not even address the allegations of SA against my husband.

• Like 10