Jump to content

Dynamite - 9/7/2022


Recommended Posts

I was thinking how much eerily the events of Sunday night reminded me of the Applebees scene in Talladega Nights where Ricky's Dad realizes things are finally going good for him and blows the whole thing up over extra onions on his steak. Ricky's Dad even kind of looks like Punk. 

kFp7ODI9_400x400.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

So here’s a fun thought exercise: You’re Tony Khan, and you’re faced with having to announce the firing of CM Punk, your incredibly popular world champion, live on Dynamite tonight. How do you do it?

Obviously you can’t do it yourself, because you’re awful at talking live on camera and you risk turning yourself/the company heel and enduring ceaseless CM Punk chants for the rest of your days, just as WWE did for years.

That's a good question. My first thought is you get it out of the way first. You don't want people not engaged with the rest of the show waiting on news. But then, like you said, you run the risk of pissing off your audience and having them "hijack" the show. But, I think if you don't do it right away, they'll definitely do that.

I think that TK does need to be the one to say it. I do agree that he's awful on camera. Maybe you tape it. Do it with Schiavone. He's a pro, and he's less likely to editorialize than JR. He can lead the discussion and they can do as many takes as needed. It needs to be short and to the point. You also need to frame it in a way that shows you had no choice.

Honestly, it's lose/lose. No matter what happens, you're going to piss off a segment of your audience and maybe part of your locker room.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

So here’s a fun thought exercise: You’re Tony Khan, and you’re faced with having to announce the firing of CM Punk, your incredibly popular world champion, live on Dynamite tonight. How do you do it?

Obviously you can’t do it yourself, because you’re awful at talking live on camera and you risk turning yourself/the company heel and enduring ceaseless CM Punk chants for the rest of your days, just as WWE did for years.

I’d let Colt Cabana make the announcement.  Accompanied by his mom.

Seriously, I’d just put out a short, terse press release and simply never mention Punk again.  Punk’s fanboys are probably going to act up no matter how he handles it.

I’m more curious about how Tony handles Page, Omega and the Bucks.  Tony sat through the presser with an idiotic “everything is fine” look on his face while Punk Went off script and dragged four of the guys who started the company.  If I am Hangman, I’m not paying much attention to anything Tony Khan has to say to me,

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Max Caster rap is the way to go. I am almost serious.

That absolutely should be a part of it, but not the entirety. But that could come after the announcement, just to take the edge off.

Also, you must be very careful with who wins the matches on the show. You cannot piss off the audience with the wrong guys going over, not this time.

Shit, is this the first time that it's Wednesday night, and we DON'T know what that means?!?

Edited by Shartnado
And there's more
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Sports Illustrated is reporting that Punk met with Khan to discuss how to handle an exit.

Quote

Punishment for that backstage fight, Sports Illustrated has learned, will include suspensions for every person involved. The list of those receiving suspensions includes Omega, Matt and Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa, and Brandon Cutler. Multiple sources have shared that Punk and Ace Steel will either be among those suspended, or will no longer be with the company by the end of Wednesday. Punk met with Khan on Tuesday, so the two had an opportunity to discuss how that exit could be handled.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2022/09/07/aew-members-receive-suspensions-altercation-cm-punk-kenny-omega

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, EVA said:

So here’s a fun thought exercise: You’re Tony Khan, and you’re faced with having to announce the firing of CM Punk, your incredibly popular world champion, live on Dynamite tonight. How do you do it?

Obviously you can’t do it yourself, because you’re awful at talking live on camera and you risk turning yourself/the company heel and enduring ceaseless CM Punk chants for the rest of your days, just as WWE did for years.

"Following an incident that took place backstage after All Out, [insert wrestler names here] have been suspended for the remainder of the month. Unfortunately after a meeting with AEW management, CM Punk was unable to resolve his differences with the company and has agreed to leave effective immediately. We wish him well in his future endeavors".

Just have Excalibur work that into this spiel when he runs down every match scheduled for the show and every other event this week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, madl said:

If the Bucks and Omega are suspended for a month, do we get a four-week tournament to crown interim trios champions?

Battle Royal, last three people in the ring are interim 6-man champs. Bear Bronson, Evil Uno, Bryan Danielson. Can they coexist!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who sat through the 1991 Great American Bash in person, I can tell you how not to handle this.  Don't try to heel the former champion to the crowd and then have a career bridesmaid and an unpushed midcarder fight for the vacant belt in the main.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thread for the Punk/Elite brawl is here:

 

Please keep this thread to what is planned for/happens on tonight's show.   Obviously, that's a huge judgement call as it looks like the world champion is about to get tossed out.  But god damn it, try.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, what exactly do we have for matches tonight? The Garcia/Yuta match should be awesome.

Oh, Death Triangle/Best Friends should be a ton of fun, too. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Orange/Pac match that'll come out of it.

Is that it for announced matches?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Log said:

That's a good question. My first thought is you get it out of the way first. You don't want people not engaged with the rest of the show waiting on news. But then, like you said, you run the risk of pissing off your audience and having them "hijack" the show. But, I think if you don't do it right away, they'll definitely do that.

I think that TK does need to be the one to say it. I do agree that he's awful on camera. Maybe you tape it. Do it with Schiavone. He's a pro, and he's less likely to editorialize than JR. He can lead the discussion and they can do as many takes as needed. It needs to be short and to the point. You also need to frame it in a way that shows you had no choice.

Honestly, it's lose/lose. No matter what happens, you're going to piss off a segment of your audience and maybe part of your locker room.

Get Luis from Ant-Man. Better than Excalibur. ?.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MJF’s  “I am not expected to hit home runs, I’m expected to hit grand slams” line has never felt more accurate.
 

The only way the crowd goes along with anything they try tonight is if Max steps up to the plate and swings.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, madl said:

If the Bucks and Omega are suspended for a month, do we get a four-week tournament to crown interim trios champions?

“We just got word from Tony Khan that the Death Triangle-Best Friends match is going to be for the interim trios titles!”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...