DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

Come on, you know at least one motherfucker is selling a description or cell phone pic to J. Jonah Jameson.

I don't think cell phone cameras were as omnipresent in 2004 as they are in 2013 even though they were a thing. There's also many millions living in the area, so he's just some dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Novem, it's a movie about nine college students who get together during the summer of 1973 to record an album as a class project. On the drive back to school they are killed in an accident and their recordings are forgotten for thirty years when they are found and a couple of students in the present time investigate the group and their music.

Where does "Diggstown" rate? Not bad ... dunno how popular it is ... unknown-ish?

I saw it when it first came out. then watched it on on-demand over christmas. Totally forgot that a 22 year old Heather Graham was in it. 

Where does "Diggstown" rate? Not bad ... dunno how popular it is ... unknown-ish?

If I catch it on, I usually watch it to the end if I can. Underrated film with an excellent cast.

• 1 month later...

It's a nice mix of the old Jason tunes and scrambling violins with big giant Star Trek brass stuff.  Which is perfect for the movie.  The movie also has lots more, like, different stuff going on for a soundtrack to play around with.  There are those scenes with the little nanobot healer things.  The scenes where someone is frozen and thawing out. Gunfights, Kung fu fights.

The Friday scores were fantastic through Part V. Then they started to suck hard for awhile.  It's one of the reasons I don't think VI is as great as everyone else does.

I watched Grown-Ups 2 and That's My Dad, and I'm officially a Sandler apologist because I thought both were hilarious.  I don't go into his movies expecting Citizen Kane.  I watch his movies just to laugh.  If you can't take his movies for what they are, then I probably couldn't hang out with you IRL.

Sandler is a strange dude. He's actually proven to be a fantastic dramatic actor. He could have an amazing, Bill Murray-like career if he wanted. But for whatever reason, whenever he threatens to establish himself as a serious actor, he immediately panics and retreats back into doing some kind of stupid goofball comedy.

Jack and Jill was substantially better than it had any right to be. If nothing else, it's worth watching for Pacino.

"Dunkacino!"

I actually agree with this.  It's not gonna change anybody's life, but there are far worse films out there to illustrate the "Hollywood is terrible/Moviegoers are idiots" meme.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget the awesome ferrets. I was thirteen the first time I saw it, so I echo the Tanya Roberts sentiment. The sequel wasn't half as good but Wings Hauser seemed to be having fun.

• Like 1

"I Bury the Living"

I have absolutely irrational love for this film. Fairly tense film, ultimately falls apart under its own weight, and then you start to see the funny holes in the story (especially the game of "Ooh Ooh, Me Next! Do me!" that takes over midway through the second act).

But then ... consider Richard Boone's ultimate denouement on it all ... the idea that disparate things in the world can come together to conspire to take our feeble concepts of "free will" and dash them against the bricks of "higher order" or "predetermination." It's a weird "man-vs.-god," "man-vs.-himself" story, that never tried to be.

I'm not even sure this really qualifies as a "bad film" per se, merely "an old propaganda film that now seems unintentionally damning", but it's legitimately my favourite short film of all time. I can't even confess how many times I've watched it.

Being fascinated with the weirdness of the cold war where we build weapons that can kill us all then not shoot them and threaten each other a lot helps with that I suppose. But there's just so much weird stuff in it that captures a whole era.

It's probably one of my 20 favourite films if I picked them strictly on "enjoyment they've given me over the years".

Maybe to no one's surprise, Dr. Strangelove is my favourite movie.