DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/13/2022!

DEAN

Non-title matches can be overused, but I do like the nice, simple storytelling here. The champ wants to wrestle this kid, but the kid clearly hasn't earned a title shot yet, so he gets a non-title match. Sensible.

On the other hand: "Eliminator" as a name for a single-elim tournament is fine, if a bit on the nose. As a name for a single match where the winner gets a title shot, it's kind of goofy. As a name for a single match where one competitor is already the champ and the other gets a title shot if they win, it's pretty damn stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Moxley/Takeshita and Wardlow/Orange two juicy matches. They've been rehabbing Cassidy lately so I'm surprised he's being thrown to the wardog without any build, but I guess that's the nature of most TNT tv bouts. 

• Like 1

Damn, that's a book-yourself-into-a-corner match if I've ever seen one and I'm here for it. 

Takeshita vs Mox is going to be something else. This and the Kingston match make it clear that Takeshita is looked at as a player in AEW, which fucking RULES. 

• Like 5

I wouldn't have booked a matchup like Orange vs. Wardlow so quickly, especially on free TV. I hope it works out and gets numbers.

All that said, I hope AEW realizes what they have on their hands with Wardlow. I think they really turned it around with his MOTY/Scorpio Sky mini-feud. Everything Wardlow does looks great and powerful and intense. His promos aren't great, but they don't need to be. The less Wardlow says the better. He has charisma everywhere else that counts. Just let him destroy people. Every now and then he can bust out the Swanton and it looks spec-freaking-tacular. He's a big guy doing freaking Swanton Bombs that look as smooth as butter. I popped big time for that. 

But it's not just all that but the way fans connect with Wardlow just when he does little things and how Wardlow feeds off of it. It works. And he's been steadily learning and growing for the past three years. Working with MJF and Pinnacle clearly rubbed off on him in the right ways as well. I see so many strong possibilities with Wardlow as long as they keep booking him effectively.

I would say only have him bust out the Swanton now and again like in the Scorpio Sky match. Just really put that match over the top for me and we don't see him do it a ton.

• Like 2

Triple or Nothing Tag Title Match! Bux vs Team Taz(z) vs Swerve In Our Glory!  If you are mad that the Bucks (and therefore the titles) injected themselves into this match then you just might be a pro wrestling grandpa. That being said, I am probably more excited for a subsequent Hobbs & Starks vs Lee & Swerve match. Like I am assuming most of us, I just prefer straight tag matches and also think those two teams match up really really well being one behemoth and one creatively athletic guy. This triple threat match should be great, though. 

I am not literally a grandpa. My older daughter just turned 11 yesterday. We had ice cream cake. I am a great uncle though. My younger brother had a son in his twenties who proceeded to do the same himself. I'm certainly old enough to be a literal grandpa. But I am trying, Ringo, I am trying real hard not to be a pro wrestling grandpa. 

If the pop-up no-sells ruined Kingston vs Takeshita for you, you are definitely a pro wrestling grandpa. I still consider you a friend, though, Matt. ?

Claudio vs Hager! I am aware of The Real Americans and "We the people!" and so on, but had already more or less  given up on sports entertainment by that time. Not even sure if Real Americans is the correct name for that team. I wonder if I'd be more stoked (or at least differently stoked) for this match if I'd been watching then. As it stands, I'm plenty stoked anyway. The pop they got facing off at B&G set the stage really well. Two big tough dudes. Hager's takedowns. Airplane spin variations and giant swings. BMMSM. That's good enough for Gordlow.

Anna Jay vs Deeb! I think that is this week's ladies match. I'm typing on my cheap tablet and don't want to close this screen to go check. It's a good match-up! Who doesn't Deeb match up with well? The AEW ladies' division is fully a strength now. I'll bet The Professor has a lot to do with that, in more ways than just what she brings in the ring. Excited to see what she brings out of Anna (Anna! Anna!)

Christian and Bad Dinosaur! I am enjoying the "Who needs MJF" takes. Christian really is better as a hateful prick on the mic. That's reasonable, considering how much more experience he has. MJF could get there some day, no doubt. Bad Dinosaur is more fun than good Dinosaur. And in my opinion Good Dinosaur was plenty fun.

Mox vs Takeshita!!!! I am so happy.

Wardlow vs Orangey Boy!!! Oh that is lovely. Wardlow's been squashing everybody. Who can you put in there with him where the outcome could possibly be in doubt? Oh my goodness, this is such a good answer to that question. I am on tenterhooks waiting to see what happens here. Presumably Team Sterling interference of some sort? But this is AEW. They love to throw curveballs. So many ways this could go. 

And who doesn't love fighting champions? 

Edit: 

And don't forget! Pac vs Shooter and Thunder vs Miyu Yamashita on Dark! Can't miss, must-watch Dark! Let's  hope it's the start of a trend.

Edited by Gordlow
Dark!
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

If the pop-up no-sells ruined Kingston vs Takeshita for you, you are definitely a pro wrestling grandpa. I still consider you a friend, though, Matt. ?

I really liked the Orange Cassidy match. I’m just a grumpy dad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Damn, that's a book-yourself-into-a-corner match if I've ever seen one and I'm here for it. 

Takeshita vs Mox is going to be something else. This and the Kingston match make it clear that Takeshita is looked at as a player in AEW, which fucking RULES. 

Takeshita vs. Hangman Page when Page was AEW World Champion also. I think it's the best Takeshita match.

• Like 2

Takeshita vs Mox got me like:

Spoiler

hot-fans-self.gif

Takeshita is having such a good run, he's snuck into my current top ten active wrestlers / lard boy power rankings:

Mox, Danielson, Kingston, Garcia, Moriarty, Claudio, Joe, Punk, ZSJ, Takeshita.

Not sure about my women's list right now. Reminds me, where's Leyla Hirsch and Abadon been? 

Dynamite is looking STACKED. Hager vs Claudio could surprise a lot of people, I'm thinking Hager's best AEW match is about to happen.

• Like 5

Speaking of Abadon, in something very odd... she's currently angling for a match with Utami Hayashishita. And surprisingly enough, Utami doesn't hate the idea, according to her response tweet.

Also I don't think it's aired on Dark, but she had a match at the June 11th tapings.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Takeshita vs Mox got me like:

Reveal hidden contents

hot-fans-self.gif

Takeshita is having such a good run, he's snuck into my current top ten active wrestlers / lard boy power rankings:

Mox, Danielson, Kingston, Garcia, Moriarty, Claudio, Joe, Punk, ZSJ, Takeshita.

My top ten are Danielson, Kingston, Moxley, Punk, Takeshita, #FTR, Castagnoli, Sabre Jr and Okada.

• Like 2