DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/13/2022!

DEAN

So Buddy Matthews is having the July Of Matches I Want To See.  C+P from cagematch.net.

1 11.07.2022 World Series Wrestling Adrian Manera, Buddy Matthews & Trey Miguel defeat Backman, Ben Braxton & Jimmy Townsend (0:03)
WSW Phoenix Rising - Tag 4 - TV-Show @ Panthers Penrith in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 10.07.2022 World Series Wrestling Adam Brooks & Buddy Matthews defeat Alexander Hammerstone & Slex (10:40)
WSW Phoenix Rising - Tag 3 - TV-Show @ South Eastern Entertainment Centre in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 09.07.2022 World Series Wrestling Buddy Matthews defeats Brian Cage (15:40)
WSW Phoenix Rising - Tag 2 - TV-Show @ South Eastern Entertainment Centre in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 08.07.2022 World Series Wrestling Buddy Matthews defeats Alex Zayne (14:19)
WSW Phoenix Rising - Tag 1 - TV-Show @ Adelaide Oval in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 03.07.2022 Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Mike Bailey defeats Buddy Matthews (13:20)
PWG Nineteen - Event @ Globe Theater in Los Angeles, California, USA

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

What matches were set for Rampage this week?

I know Gresham/Moriarty, but what else? 

From cagematch.net:  (I don't know why Charlette Renegade still doesn't have a profile.)

Name of the event:
AEW Rampage #50
Date:
Promotion:
Type:
Broadcast type:
Taped
Broadcast date:
TV station/network:
TNT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this was one of my all time favorite Dynamites. Holy shit. It's so good to see Chuck back on screen. "WE'RE GONNA CHEAT!" "A LOT!" Then he fucking busts out the chainsaw in the match. I normally don't care for comedy matches, but Wardlow playing straight man to the Best Friends ruled. I was actually surprised at how much offense OC got in. WARDLOW FOR HONORARY BEST FRIEND!

Christian talking about more dead daddies. Jesus. It's a shame Cody isn't in AEW anymore.

And I'm not sure what else there really is to say about that tag match. I fully expected the Bucks to walk out as champions to build to the big money match against FTR with that match potentially being the main event of a PPV. And then as we got late into the match I was like, holy shit, we're going to get new champions. Hobbs rules the fucking world right now. That dude is everything. Everything he does looks like it hurts. There is no soft serve with that guy. So many times I bit on a finish only for the match to keep going and keep getting crazier and crazier. I loved all of it. It was a pleasant surprise to see them put the tag belts on another team so soon and a team that is over. I mean, both Swerve and Lee and Starks and Hobbs are over as fuck so whichever they went with would have been fine. I can only just ramble at this point.

For next week, Jericho and Eddie are going to have a lot to live up to. TK's record of shooting for the moon with gimmick matches doesn't have the greatest success rate, not to mention that Jericho and Eddie are going to have to top their previous singles match. Probably going to need to update this music video again or have TK pay the content creator and pay Weezer to play it during Dynamite:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I really liked Wardlow/OC.  It was essentially two matches, where the comedy match happened first, then transitioned to a serious match.  Perfect way to play to both guys' strengths and really imaginative, where OC and the crew are just spamming the goofiness until he hits the Superman punch on the outside to take over.  Loved tying in the "managers' license" issue from Rampage.  Chuck is a fucking treasure.

The main was AMAZING.  Honestly, if you liked that, just sub to Highspots and watch any PWG tag or multiman/multi-team from the past decade or so and thank me later.

Jade is getting really one note.  Oh look she's angry at everyone for no reason.  Seriously, have they explained this aspect of her character at all?  WTF is she so cranky about?

Loved Cool Hang Ang pulling a switchblade comb on Schiavone.

Keep Takeshita in the US, please.

Know what else is cool about AEW?  You think WWE would air footage of their talent defending belts in that dingy UK building?  Vince would bitch about how shitty it looks and how it diminishes their company.  Forget how a bunch of those early 90s Raws seem to have been shot in a quanset hut.

Britt's "sandbag" promo was too inside baseball and doesn't accomplish anything.  Jamie's Space Invaders pants were cool, though.

Every time I hear "Pianmaker," I think of Mentos.  The freshmaker.

Overall, a really great episode. 

• Like 6

Buddy Matthews vs. Alexander Hammerstone feels like a really good MLW main event. 

The Serena vs. Anna match started off like a sprint that was gonna end up a squash and then they just kept going. Highly technical, at one point I was thinking "is this a lucha maestros match?" But also, they had the hometown crowd for Anna so it was very Southern feeling. The Southern-ness was in full display in the Claudio/Hager match though with everyone going "OOOO" for every strike. Anyway, solid stuff; if you can keep up with Deeb it's to your credit as a performer for sure. 

EDIT: Shit, I almost forgot to mention the person in the crowd getting pissed and grabbing at Serena, who responded by pointing at them and stretching Anna during the PnP. That is both super Southern and a great reason to stick around and watch the PnP sometimes. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Wardlow countering with a cartwheel-esque maneuver being something that cracked OC's lackadaisical facade early was a good beat. OC normally isn't facing large babyfaces who have some unplayed cards that can surprise him, and thus normally doesn't get to register in that way. Makes Wardlow look like something special.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Wardlow countering with a cartwheel-esque maneuver being something that cracked OC's lackadaisical facade early was a good beat. OC normally isn't facing large babyfaces who have some unplayed cards that can surprise him, and thus normally doesn't get to register in that way. Makes Wardlow look like something special.

They seem to be having Wardlow bust out a new "trick" or "surprise" every match. I like that. Kind of a thing where, every time an opponent thinks they have him figured out, he throws a little something new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Quick Pillar checkin -

MJF: Off TV

Jungle Boy: Off TV

Sammy: Off TV?

Darby: Still kicking ass

Might I suggest an MLB Pipeline-esk mid season adjustment to the top prospects list

Wardlow, Powerhouse Hobbs, The Acclaimed and you can stay, Darby

Sammy is cooling off for a moment; adjunct part of JAS I guess. Tay was on last night (I think that was taped earlier?).  Still a pillar IMO but yeah Wardlow is in; Love the Acclaimed too. Once Jungle gets through Christian, expect him to really hit on a singles run (TNT title run?). The problem is the World Title picture is still got some real top names to go through. 

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 1

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS II:  Okay, the INTERNATIONAL FEED is cooperating again.  Jake Hagar and Claudio are best friends, I'm assuming.  Claudio needs to sport the Blackpool Combat Club gear!  WHAT THE FUCK?  Hagar is such a good wrestler.  He hits a great Lariat on the floor.  Claudio SHOWBOATS his agility early to show Claudio is complete physical anomaly.  He would be in a circus if this was a hundred years ago.  Hagar throws worked punches like a MMA guy- which means he probably shouldn't utilize them.  Lord Regal while you idiots were watching picture in picture, "Jake Hagar doesn't just have cauliflower ears, he's got cauliflower head."  Eww, Hagar throws even shittier punches in the corner during picture in picture.  Claudio gets him out of the situation of having to sell the punches by deadlifting Hagar into a suplex.  Claudio hits really sweet European Uppercuts, maybe to show his friend that he should switch to these instead of MMA Worked Punches.  I love that Hagar actually motions for the JAS to come save his bacon mid-Scorpion Death Lock, as opposed to JAS hitting their cue and running in because that's what the booker told them to do.  Claudio applies the Scorpion Deathlock in a way I've never seen before.   Lord Regal calls a Double Leg Nelson for the pin after the Riccolla Bomb because Lord Regal is absolutely awesome on commentary.  That match was all about Hagar making Claudio look like a million bucks and Claudio making Hagar look like a half a million bucks.  It wasn't actually a HOSS BATTLE, but it did have a couple of strong man spots to quell our HOSS BATTLE thirst.  Serena Deeb is fucking great carrying Anna Jay and making her look like a killer- especially the way she sells the  Queen Slayer early.  While YOU were watching in picture in picture, we few got to see that Serena is taunting Jay's family while torturing Jay.  We find out that the crowd DOES get behind Anna Jay's struggle to escape the HORROR of Serena Deeb's offense. Anna Jay hits a nice kick to the head and Serena responds with a totally gnarley Dragon Screw in the corner.  The crowd really rises up for Anny Jay's final Queen Slayer because Savannah is the wrestling capital of the South, it appears.  Tay Conti is my favorite heel in the AEW.  It seems just natural to cheat and do hateful things- YOU GET MORE TV TIME!   Tay Conti is the Joey Logano of pro wrestling.  Oh , I notice Brandon Cutler and now I look forward to his footage of this match Monday.  I can never remember the team name of Shane Strickland and Keith Lee- it's Swerve in Our Glory!  The match itself is a lot to take in.  I am realizing that both Young Bucks and Shane Strickland are the glue that hold this match together, as they all take turns making Keith Lee, Powerhouse Hobbs and Ricky Starks look really great.  Strickland is the closest to Darby Allin in this match, selling a total assbeating from three different directions.  That is a very old school aspect for a very new school match.  Strickland being beaten on by the Young Bucks is pretty great.  I hope they don't break up Lee and Strickland before they have matches with Hobbs and Starks and the Youngbucks- and also FTR.  And the dream match with the Briscoes.  It would be fun for them to go through the roster before they break up.  Hell, imagine Lee and Strickland versus Brodie King and Buddy Matthews.  Imagine them versus Rey Fenix and PENTA!  Hell, versus Ryan Nemeth and Pretty Peter Avalon.  Yeah, I'm guessing that the Bucks booked this whole thing and wanted Strickland to go over because they work really really well together and are looking ahead to the title match.  They really book Strickland strong in this. Hell, he gets the pin, which he deserved for keeping this baby together.  Hobbs is the one who hit the best looking stuff and they built around Lee's power moves, but Strickland was the one who moved the match to each section that the Bucks laid out.  Yeah, put the belt on him.

• Like 6

That tag title match was a clusterfuck... AND I LOVED IT!
Anything that results in the Bucks losing immediately gets 2 stars and the rest was just an exciting hot mess right to the finish!

James

Edited by J.H.

Like a lot of you, I'm not a fan of three-ways and that especially goes for tag matches for me.

Buuuuut, I kind of feel like a three-way tag match is great for hiding the issue that a lot of go-go-go matches have. You don't really have to worry about selling so much where there are so many bodies flying around. No one's really getting worked over in isolation, so it's not inconceivable that they'd be back in the mix and ready to go a short time later in a match.

Not saying that no one needs to sell in these kinds of matches. It just seems to make it easier, or maybe less noticeable, to get away with it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Does anyone have a more punchable face in wrestling than Daddy Magic? I mean that in the best possible way. I mean it’s Disco Inferno level.

I still remember when they were feuding with Jericho and he called him "squarehead", I laughed hard because he does have a very square head,

Finished watching Dynamite earlier today, some quick thoughts:

* Cassidy and Wardlow just didn't click for me. Maybe is was Cassidy's unorthodox-ness against Wardlow's monster-ness? The chainsaw bit and the thing with Danhausen was kinda funny though.
* Loved Jericho's promo and Kingston's rebuttal. Their match next week is going to be all kinds of violent and I'm super excited for it!
* Moxley and Takeshita was everything I expected it to be. A straight up fight. The German suplex on the apron was nuts.
* Christian's heel promos are better than MJF's. I always thought MJF relied too much on cheap heat and rambled on for too long. Christian gets the point across and has his dinosaur monster destroy dudes. Also, evil Luchasaurus has a great entrance!
* Hager and Claudio was fine. Didn't blow me away but it was a good match.
* Deeb and Anna Jay was a good match as well. I'm intrigued by where this thing with Tay Conti goes. Do we eventually get evil Tay-Jay?
* Main event was really fun. I was thinking the Bucks would retain because they only won the belts a month ago but I'm fine with Swerve and Keith Lee having the tag titles. They can have bang up matches with pretty much any team and since the Bucks didn't take the fall, they've got the standard "we lost the belts but were never pinned" gripe.

Overall, a fun episode of Dynamite. Some good to great matches. Only thing I didn't like was that there was hardly any mention of the ROH PPV except in passing by Daniel Garcia and them running down the matches. I figured with Dynamite being the most viewed show that they'd do some advancement of the big angles, unless they're slowing turning Rampage into the ROH show (which I could potentially see).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, Casey said:

It's insane how most of these giant corporations employ pro wrestling fans to be their social media managers or whatever. Pretty much all of the fast food chains in the US have tweeted out wrestling related things in the last 5 years.

Millennials, we own shit all in this falling apart world but we are damn good at social media.

Anyway on to the show Kinda a tale of two Dynamites for me. Felt they leaned a little too hard on the comedy in the first match.

LardLad is the new Ricky Steamboat, no wonder he was over with a southern crowd. Now they really need to get him some wins. Someone on here recently talked about Dean Malenko having "physical charisma" where your eye was drawn to him in the match even though he was a soft spoken unflashy promo. Same here. You watch this man. Great job by Regal on commentary.

also liked Claudio and Hager. Kinda weird how I was largely indifferent to Swagger/Strong in LU and WWE but he's been a welcome presence on AEW 

Deeb vs Anna was great with all the reversals and countering.

Main event was not my cup of tea. too long to work as a sprint and didn't care for the match layout

• Like 3

Yeah, tag was a cluster but what you gonna do. It was fun seeing Keith and Hobbs do their thing. My dad was impressed!

I still can't understand how jumping off the top rope and landing with your feet on either side of a person's shoulders is a finishing maneuver. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I still can't understand how jumping off the top rope and landing with your feet on either side of a person's shoulders is a finishing maneuver. 

That’s the move?  I’ve only seen him do it twice and thought he was botching a double-foot stomp.

• Like 2