DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 7/13/2022!

DEAN

40 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, tag was a cluster but what you gonna do. It was fun seeing Keith and Hobbs do their thing. My dad was impressed!

I still can't understand how jumping off the top rope and landing with your feet on either side of a person's shoulders is a finishing maneuver. 

you see, as opposed to a double foot stomp to the chest which knocks the wind out of you if you nail the solar plexus and causes you to be down for the count

the double stomp to the shoulders is an incredible amount of force that will keep your shoulders down as you'd be in unbearable pain to kick out and move them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To things that I liked, playing off the idea of Jungle Boy and Griff looking alike for the Luchasaurus squash was fun and made sense, also fun that they went the other way than wrestling usually does with the tag team in turmoil angle  

• Like 3

Jungle Boy being off TV for the past month or so to build this angle up is probably the right thing to do, and it's clearly working so far as Christian is just killing it on the mic.

I'm not convinced though they've worked out how it's going to play out once he returns. If you assume that he's going to have to get through Luchasaurus to get to Christian, he's probably going to need some form of backup in this - and no-one really stands out as an obvious choice. Matt Hardy seems the logical one based on the beatdown they did and history with Christian, but not physically imposing enough to be someone that can counter Luchasaurus. Be interested to see who the big guy not really doing anything that gets shoehorned into it is. Page/Wardlow seems a step down. Lance Archer isn't really doing anything else. Vignettes of Jake Roberts teaching Jungle Boy how to give in to his dark side and deal with Christian would be fun, especially if there's a nod to the time he did it with Warrior, and them basically just saying outright that Jake will turn on him at some point, it's just when..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Let me pull this up... we shouldn't harp on it but what you said reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago about a specific match of Ross and Tony in WCW.

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-the-column-beyond-worth-every-penny/

One thing I would note. Jess Ventura was always a color man in broadcasting. So he knows how to feed the lead announcer, whereas Tony and JR would be two lead announcers. Can't just throw people together have to have lanes. I would imagine that is part of the reason why JR/Ventura was a stronger pairing

I've only ever seen clips of Wardlow and OC before now. I dug the hijinks portion of the first half of their match more than the rest, but the rest was solidly entertaining as well.

Mox/Takeshita was good. The two had nice chemistry. 

Deeb/Anna was solid. Never been big on Deeb, but her current style works well for her. I can see what people mean about Anna likely doing well with an excursion. She is pretty decent, but some different training for a bit could do wonders in moving her forward.

Main event was a good kind of mess. Everyone delivered, but Swerve definitely made the most of it with everythign he pulled off.

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would love it if AEW could somehow keep Takeshita and Shooter, but both have greater destinies in their home promotions. 

To be fair Takeshita has already been DDT champ 5 times in the last 6 years. He is probably ready to move on to somewhere bigger be that AEW or somewhere in Japan.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Matt D said:

Let me pull this up... we shouldn't harp on it but what you said reminded me of something I wrote a few years ago about a specific match of Ross and Tony in WCW.

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-the-column-beyond-worth-every-penny/

Outstanding insight here. Announcers need to work together just like a tag team. When they do, it makes the wrestling in the ring seem a lot better and more important.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

the difference is that an announcer's job is to take things like a blown spot and cover for them

Yes. If someone messes up a top-rope move, I like to say, "that's why they're high-risk maneuvers," to show that even hitting a top-rope move at all is very impressive. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Matt Hardy seems the logical one based on the beatdown they did and history with Christian, but not physically imposing enough to be someone that can counter Luchasaurus.

No one can counter Luchasaurus. Jungle Boy is doomed.

In fact, AEW as a whole is probably doomed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, porksweats said:

you see, as opposed to a double foot stomp to the chest which knocks the wind out of you if you nail the solar plexus and causes you to be down for the count

the double stomp to the shoulders is an incredible amount of force that will keep your shoulders down as you'd be in unbearable pain to kick out and move them

Okay, I'll accept your very acceptable Wrestling Psychology, even if it still looks like crap. *grumble*

Something I've noticed recently is that Tony totally gets buried on commentary soon as JR shows up. It's like he goes silent and just pipes up a line or two. Weird. Also the crowds have still been overwhelming the whole booth with volume. 

Takeshita/Mox the second time was killer so maybe I need to try and match Dean haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The Khan family could do worse things with their money than creating a Butch Reed hologram.

Why settle for a hologram? Do they not have enough money to create a Butch Reed synthezoid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just getting caught up now. Wardlaw vs. Orange is a banger. The hijinks at the beginning were really good. But it really led into a fantastic match where OC had to use his wits and agility against the unstoppable force. What I really liked about it is that Wardlaw never looked stupid in this match. And while Orange was definitely at a disadvantage physically, he also never looked like he did not belong in the ring. 

Orange is just a genius wrestler, assuming that he built the match (or had help with an agent) since Wardlaw’s still inexperienced. And 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

JD Drake dressed as a giant meteor 

Touche.

But I'll point out none of the dinosaurs wiped out by the last meteor knew lucha libre. Does lucha have moves that counter a meteor strike?

• Haha 1