DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Yeah as someone who has misspoke on the Bad News/Piper/Peacock situation before, it's not a great argument for physical media and the completist piece of that argument. 

A much better argument for physical media is the entrances, especially for WCW as you see on all of the Peacock content they have almost none of the classic themes. It's incredibly poor having to watch the Midnight Express come out to some generic rock etc.

Back to Peacock, the concerns about that were unfounded. It's been a year and the shows are mostly 100% intact, I haven't seen them removing violent matches or editing over blood the way they used to on the 24/7 channel. 

It's great to have all the PPVs as they aired in their entirety, but yes some racist angles and homophobic angles got scrubbed and that's a good thing, I don't think anyone is ever going to confuse WWE at this point for what they used to be (and arguably still are).  McMahon is who he is and i don't think time is going to be very kind to him. We don't even have the full details of his sexual misconduct yet either. They can't turn McMahon into a hero at this stage. He's going to go down as a racist and sexual deviant.

• Like 6

I recently watched the 8/3/1998 Raw, which apparently had a couple things scrubbed. Apparently, and I had no idea about this, anything ICP related (during their WWF run) has been wiped out because they don't own the rights to the Oddities theme or their was a disagreement stemming from their original agreement. So you will probably see them standing there, but never anything regarding their song. However, they took out the Golga vs. Mero match completely. In addition, it's the infamous choppy choppy your pee pee payoff. They show Taka turning on Val of course and them dragging Val off later on. However, the actual part people remember has been removed I believe as the show goes off the air with Austin and Taker successfully defending the WWF titles.

I vividly remember watching that episode live and only remember that whole angle. I definitely forgot Austin and Taker were WWF tag team champions before Summerslam.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They used to love that "now they are tag champs. how's that gonna go!" story for world champ feuds.  Also.. pretty sure Val's bare ass was shown as he was tied up

Shawn Michaels has like 30 uncensored bare ass shots between 1996 and 1998. 

• Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A much better argument for physical media is the entrances, especially for WCW as you see on all of the Peacock content they have almost none of the classic themes. It's incredibly poor having to watch the Midnight Express come out to some generic rock etc.

@Krone Meltzer made this point about ECW, and much like ECW, there is a fan-led restoration project for WCW using the cleaned up footage, but adds back in the original audio for things like entrances.

There isn't as much fanatical devotion to it like there was with the ECW project, plus it is nearly impossible considering how much WCW footage is out there (good luck finding solid sources for WCW Prime, for example), but it does exist.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Very positive piece on Big E, but after reading that it will be at least nine more more months before his doctors can even properly evaluate his progress to determine if/when E can return to the ring. I”m hoping someone talks him into retiring.  I imagine New Day has made him a nice pile of cash and I can’t imagine why you’d take the risk (love of performing, I guess).

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how he would do as a full time commentator, if both parties were interested in staying together. 

I keep saying that if Big E decides to not wrestle then he's the Price Is Right and/or Family Feud host we need and deserve. Imagine Big E narrating the alpine skiing game.

DimpledBrilliantImperatorangel-size_rest

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 6

I've pretty much assumed Big E's career is more likely than not over for a while now, but that there is no reason to pull the hope of a return away from him at this point. If the C1 manages to fully naturally heal on its own then a comeback is doable but it is the single most important/"do not mess with" vertebrae in the body, so it really needs to be a 100% recovery or bust situation.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue Dragon said:

Time for Asuka bra and panties match with Alexa Bliss. And Cody bleeding buckets.

Anyway that's only for Raw.

So, does Asuka automatically lose because her bra and panties are on the outside of her tights? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

23 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I keep saying that if Big E decides to not wrestle then he's the Price Is Right and/or Family Feud host we need and deserve. Imagine Big E narrating the alpine skiing game.

DimpledBrilliantImperatorangel-size_rest

Cooking show. The big meaty man grilling meat!

• Like 1