DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In their ten years of existence, PRIDE was known for their underhanded tactics when it came to matchmaking. Japanese natives (usually smaller pro wrestlers) and those who were not represented by top, well known handlers and agents got the short end of the stick. PRIDE made their bones on mismatches and telling the A side fighter about a fight they were going to make weeks before the B side fighter would know.

Yes, it (along with the unregulated use of PEDs) made for some great highlight reels and helped some people get over as destroyers. However, that was unsustainable on top of being messed up ethically. I liked PRIDE and do miss it somewhat, but people got deluded into what MMA really was/is. It's been gone for 15 years now, and the one part I actually don't miss is the element certain people loved.

I was just telling some kids about Katsuyori Shibata's MMA career, which if anyone doesn't know was entirely post-PRIDE and he still got helplessly overmatched. He started out 2-6-1 and got fed to Sakuraba, pre-crisis Mayhem Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, and Hayato Sakurai during that run, along with being subbed by a Gracie to set up a later Sakuraba fight (that Saku lost). Shibata, the poor bastard, was a natural Welterweight and they had him fight Satoshi Ishii, who fought his whole career at Heavyweight, beat a bunch of guys you probably heard of, and won a Gold Medal in Judo at 100kg+. Shibata wasn't even that bad? Like he beat Minowa and maybe coulda wound up with a better record than 4-11-1? But that's not what they brought him in for, they wanted a guy with a little bit of name value and no hope to get fed to the A side guys.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

I will never understand why anyone gives a shit what someone charges. It's kind of none of anyone's business to begin with. Also, fuck it, let folks make as much money as they can.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I will never understand why anyone gives a shit what someone charges. It's kind of none of anyone's business to begin with. Also, fuck it, let folks make as much money as they can.

Right? It's all based on, "Well I wouldn't pay that, so why would someone else?", when that is irrelevant. Get that money while you can.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Right? It's all based on, "Well I wouldn't pay that, so why would someone else?", when that is irrelevant. Get that money while you can.

I will just add the caveat that for me it's limited to wrestling. In other sports it annoys the shit out of me when the Cubs overpay someone because, well, their track record is utter shit. When it happens to my football teams I like I just can only laugh at this point.

• The streak is over. The Undertaker loses at WrestleMania XXX to Brock Lesnar.
  • Team Nexus lose to Team WWE at SummerSlam 2010.
  • WWE fucking up Summer of Punk after Money in the Bank 2011.
  • The ending to Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend inside Hell in a Cell, October 2019.
  • The Fiend losing the WWE Universal Championship to Goldberg at Super Showdown 2020.
  • Randy Orton vs. The Fiend at WrestleMania XXXVII, turned out to be Wyatt's last WWE match.
  • Triple H beats Booker T at WrestleMania XIX to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. The reign of terror.
  • Katie Vick.
  • Jinder Mahal wins the WWE Championship from Randy Orton at Backlash 2017.
  • Jinder Mahal successfully defends the WWE Championship against Shinsuke Nakamura at SummerSlam 2017.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch to become the first WWE Women's Champion at WrestleMania XXXII. Sasha should.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Asuka to defend the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship and ending Asuka's undefeated streak, WrestleMania XXXIV.
  • Charlotte Flair being added to Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch at WrestleMania XXXV.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Rhea Ripley for the NXT Women's Championship at WrestleMania XXXVI.
  • Kofi Kingston being humiliated to Brock Lesnar dropping the WWE Championship in less than 10 seconds.
  • The Jeff Hardy Victory Road 2011 incident. Only Sting came out with any credit.
  • Muhammad Hassan and his soldiers attack the Undertaker in a terrorist angle coinciding with the real life 7th July 2005 terrorist attack in the UK.
  • Bringing back fucking Hulk Hogan.
  • Rey Mysterio winning the WWE Championship and losing it to John Cena on the same RAW in the Summer of 2011.
  • John Cena beats Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012.
  • Not making Cesaro a multi-time world champion.
  • Anything involving Brock Lesnar after 2015 with a few exceptions.
  • Christian finally wins a world title, the World Heavyweight Championship at Extreme Rules 2011 only to lose it on the post Extreme Rules 2011 Smackdown to Randy Orton.
  • Luke Harper not getting added to the WWE Championship match between Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXXIII.
  • Triple H beats Sting at WrestleMania XXXI with Sting getting help from the nWo. Should have been Sting vs. The Undertaker.
  • Jeff Jarrett's multiple reigns of terror in TNA as NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
  • Hogan and Bischoff regime in TNA.
  • The IWGP Heavyweight Championship V4 and the IWGP Intercontinental Championship replaced by the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Hate that fucking thing.

---- 

Breaking The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak was the worst.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

The whole Nexus story is going to be my vote for the worst. Not since the Invasion angle (which is by the way my vote for number 2) has something with such promise gone so wrong, and done so badly.

Honorable mentions:
Not making Cesaro a multi-time champion
Rey Mysterio: Charity Case Champ (both times)
Not making Regal a multi-time champion
The WWE Crusierweight Champion curse
Not making Wade Barrett is a multi-time champion
RETRIBUTION
Introducing Ronda Rousey to professional wrestling (or for that matter, any MMA personality, both WWE and AEW are guilty of this)

• Like 4

Barely able to walk Keiji Mutoh, GHC Heavyweight Champion, ending Go Shiozaki's all-timer title run. And then having him beat Kaito Kiyomiya.

Honestly wish Giant Gonzalez beat Taker clean at Mania IX purely so the streak never became a thing. But then I'm a Taker hater. Just thought the streak as it went on got so uninteresting, the only time I actually cared was once it was ended. At least that was funny. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Undertaker
Fake Undertaker

The Great Muta
The GREAT MUTA

Nature Boy Ric Flair
Nature Boy Buddy Landel

Tam Nakano
Nao Ishikawa

Sting
nWo Sting

Kane 

Fake Kane

I love that stuff.

Alexander Hammerstones entire career. i've seen him ape HHH, Jericho and Hogan

3 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

The whole Nexus story is going to be my vote for the worst. Not since the Invasion angle (which is by the way my vote for number 2) has something with such promise gone so wrong, and done so badly.

Honorable mentions:
Not making Cesaro a multi-time champion
Rey Mysterio: Charity Case Champ (both times)
Not making Regal a multi-time champion
The WWE Crusierweight Champion curse
Not making Wade Barrett is a multi-time champion
RETRIBUTION
Introducing Ronda Rousey to professional wrestling (or for that matter, any MMA personality, both WWE and AEW are guilty of this)

I'll second all those. I did like Junior dos Santos in AEW though.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:
  • The streak is over. The Undertaker loses at WrestleMania XXX to Brock Lesnar.
  • Team Nexus lose to Team WWE at SummerSlam 2010.
  • WWE fucking up Summer of Punk after Money in the Bank 2011.
  • The ending to Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend inside Hell in a Cell, October 2019.
  • The Fiend losing the WWE Universal Championship to Goldberg at Super Showdown 2020.
  • Randy Orton vs. The Fiend at WrestleMania XXXVII, turned out to be Wyatt's last WWE match.
  • Triple H beats Booker T at WrestleMania XIX to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. The reign of terror.
  • Katie Vick.
  • Jinder Mahal wins the WWE Championship from Randy Orton at Backlash 2017.
  • Jinder Mahal successfully defends the WWE Championship against Shinsuke Nakamura at SummerSlam 2017.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch to become the first WWE Women's Champion at WrestleMania XXXII. Sasha should.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Asuka to defend the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship and ending Asuka's undefeated streak, WrestleMania XXXIV.
  • Charlotte Flair being added to Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch at WrestleMania XXXV.
  • Charlotte Flair beating Rhea Ripley for the NXT Women's Championship at WrestleMania XXXVI.
  • Kofi Kingston being humiliated to Brock Lesnar dropping the WWE Championship in less than 10 seconds.
  • The Jeff Hardy Victory Road 2011 incident. Only Sting came out with any credit.
  • Muhammad Hassan and his soldiers attack the Undertaker in a terrorist angle coinciding with the real life 7th July 2005 terrorist attack in the UK.
  • Bringing back fucking Hulk Hogan.
  • Rey Mysterio winning the WWE Championship and losing it to John Cena on the same RAW in the Summer of 2011.
  • John Cena beats Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012.
  • Anything involving Brock Lesnar after 2015 with a few exceptions.
  • Christian finally wins a world title, the World Heavyweight Championship at Extreme Rules 2011 only to lose it on the post Extreme Rules 2011 Smackdown to Randy Orton.
  • Luke Harper not getting added to the WWE Championship match between Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXXIII.
  • Triple H beats Sting at WrestleMania XXXI with Sting getting help from the nWo. Should have been Sting vs. The Undertaker.
  • Jeff Jarrett's multiple reigns of terror in TNA as NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
  • Hogan and Bischoff regime in TNA.
  • The IWGP Heavyweight Championship V4 and the IWGP Intercontinental Championship replaced by the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Hate that fucking thing.

---- 

Breaking The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak was the worst.

You have Cesaro not being a multi time World Champion in there twice. Great list, can't fault it, although I might have the IWGP World Heavyweight Title featuring twice too, for emphasis.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

You have Cesaro not being a multi time World Champion in there twice. Great list, can't fault it, although I might have the IWGP World Heavyweight Title featuring twice too, for emphasis.

Cheers, mate. Man, I fucking detest the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:

• Replacing the IWGP Heavyweight Championship V4 which is in my top three wrestling belts ever with the WWF Winged Eagle Championship and Big Gold.
  • Replacing the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.
  • The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is so ugly.
  • The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship main plate is too small.
  • The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship side plates are too big.
  • The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship strap is way too long.
  • The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is my least favourite ever belt. There's nothing at all I like about it.
Edited by The Natural

I know you hate it more from a physical perspective. I'm not saying it looks good, far from it, but ultimately I don't care if it's a gold plated close up of Yoshi Hashi's face, the issue was that they explicitly said they were ending the lineage of the IWGP title, which is a shameful decision.

The history matters. Or, it doesn't, but it has to be treated like it matters, or nothing does.

• Like 2

Probably not the worst booking decisions of the past 20 years, but my two least favorite have been Bray Wyatt’s main-event push and Brock Lesnar’s booking post-first WWE run.  I don’t dig Wyatt personally but he could sell talk and sell merch, so experimenting with a push wasn’t a terrible idea.  Going all in and then giving him a dopey “spooky” gimmick that encouraged him not to progress in the ring and gave him carte blanche to no-sell everything and make opponents look like crap was an awful idea.  Lol, the Fiend did less to put guys over than Brock Lesnar and gave the company even less of a return on their investment.  

I like Brock, but booking him as an untouchable does no one any favors.   New Japan did it and, for their trouble, Brock went home with their belt and never got around to putting anyone over.  At least the NJPW experiment was short-lived.  Brock has been back in the WWE for ten years now and still hasn’t put anyone over.  He’s so far above the full-time roster that they don’t even try to use him to put anyone over.  And his contract severely limits his appearances, so you can’t even use him to bump tv ratings or house show attendances on a consistent basis,  Vince has let Brock grow so big that basically no one can convincingly put him over except Roman.  And they don’t want to weaken Roman by having him put Brock over very often.  Actually, they’re making a lot of the same mistakes with Roman that they made with Brock.  Part-time attractions don’t need titles and shouldn’t hold them.

Letting Undertaker’s WM streak grow to the point that there was no good way to end it and no good opponent to put over would probably be my number 3.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

I know you hate it more from a physical perspective. I'm not saying it looks good, far from it, but ultimately I don't care if it's a gold plated close up of Yoshi Hashi's face, the issue was that they explicitly said they were ending the lineage of the IWGP title, which is a shameful decision.

The history matters. Or, it doesn't, but it has to be treated like it matters, or nothing does.

Actually I hate it even more for that lineage gone than for how it looks. The years of history, those names in Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinya Hashimoto, Tatsumi Fujinami, Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, Vader, Yuji Nagata and Tetsuya Naito. The likes of Minoru Suzuki, Tomohiro Ishii and Zack Sabre Jr never getting to hold it. The AEW World Championship is now older than NJPW's top title.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Actually I hate it even more for that lineage gone than for how it looks. The years of history, those names in Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinya Hashimoto, Tatsumi Fujinami, Keiji Muto/The Great Muta, Vader, Yuji Nagata and Tetsuya Naito. The likes of Minoru Suzuki, Tomohiro Ishii and Zack Sabre Jr never getting to hold it. The AEW World Championship is now older than NJPW's top title.

Yeah, even as someone who follows NJ very loosely, that's the real shame of it to me. The intro video alone for title matches is a massive loss. The belt itself grew on me though! I hated it at first, but I used to be somewhat friendly with the guy who made it on an old belt forum years ago, and once he went on Twitter and explained the significance of each stone and and influences from the version of the belt Scott Norton held (which happened to be my first exposure to it) I started slowly coming 'round on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

This is probably my #1 moment in wrestling this year at AEW Revolution and how it happened on my Birthday, 6th of March.

It's just that some fans were too young to remember Punk using Miseria Cantare as a theme, so the place didn't erupt as it should have. I only read about Punk using it early on, but at least I have the AFI album (CD) in question.

• Like 1

The worst booking decision was probably the Summer of Punk for me. It's like they did the exact opposite of what people wanted them to do. I mean, bringing him back after a week, having him job to Triple H, feud with Kevin Nash and then spend his whole title reign playing second fiddle to John Cena actually sounds like a parody of bad WWE booking. But that's exactly what they did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah, even as someone who follows NJ very loosely, that's the real shame of it to me. The intro video alone for title matches is a massive loss. The belt itself grew on me though! I hated it at first, but I used to be somewhat friendly with the guy who made it on an old belt forum years ago, and once he went on Twitter and explained the significance of each stone and and influences from the version of the belt Scott Norton held (which happened to be my first exposure to it) I started slowly coming 'round on it.

I miss that video listing the roll call of previous IWGP Heavyweight Champions. The explanation that the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship was made to resemble the previous IWGP Heavyweight Championship but all it did was remind me that all four versions were much better. I hated the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship as soon as it was revealed and that hasn't changed. It's fucking shit.

35 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

It's just that some fans were too young to remember Punk using Miseria Cantare as a theme, so the place didn't erupt as it should have. I only read about Punk using it early on, but at least I have the AFI album (CD) in question.

I was 19 in 2003 when I first got into Ring of Honour.

4 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The worst booking decision was probably the Summer of Punk for me. It's like they did the exact opposite of what people wanted them to do. I mean, bringing him back after a week, having him job to Triple H, feud with Kevin Nash and then spend his whole title reign playing second fiddle to John Cena actually sounds like a parody of bad WWE booking. But that's exactly what they did. 

This. Throw inn Alberto Del Rio beating CM Punk for the WWE Championship thanks to help from Kevin Nash at SummerSlam 2011.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Yeah all of that was garbage and you can't even really blame Charlotte too much...   McMahon loves to force feed talent and that never goes well.. 

• Like 1

Having both Brock and Ronda winning their respective Rumbles this year is it for me. I was their live. I had a great seat. The people sitting around me were awesome. 

I still couldn’t help but be massively disappointed at the end. Why bother watching weekly when two unannounced part-timers (at least at the time) win the big ones?

I still haven’t been able to enjoy the WWE as much since. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

Having both Brock and Ronda winning their respective Rumbles this year is it for me. I was their live. I had a great seat. The people sitting around me were awesome. 

I still couldn’t help but be massively disappointed at the end. Why bother watching weekly when two unannounced part-timers (at least at the time) win the big ones?

I still haven’t been able to enjoy the WWE as much since. 

That's a good shout. I'd add that to my OP.