DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

5 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

This is why it's a well written story imo. Even though there's a conflict, both sides are being perfectly reasonable so far. I'm expecting they'll make it very clear who the heel is eventually.

It's very Memphis-style. I remember listening to a pod (maybe 605 or one of Cornette's) where they talked /played audio about a Lawler/Dundee/Mantell angle that kind of reminds me what they're doing now with Jericho/P&P.

I'll echo the sentiment that this was one of the best top to bottom shows they've done. Everything hit. The big matches delivered. Wardlow looked like a beast. And they did a fantastic job building next week show in Chicago and this week's Rampage.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Like 3

Ladder match was wild with tons of insane spots. Another short reign for Cody made the whole switch feel kind of odd. Kinda thought he'd go on another run after last week's epic promo.

MJF/Punk segment was long but effective. Good build up. Laughed at the "MJF welcome to "Cleavland"" sign referencing his Twitter typo. Crowd was so hot for Wardlow that I kinda wanted to see him break and save Punk there just for the reaction. Looking forward to MJF/Punk in Chicago for sure.

Enjoyed Leyla/Velvet as a fan of both. Britt's promo was fun. Solid main event. Loved the huge pop for the Danhausen reveal and how he then just casually walks away and leaves, that was great. Finish looked properly brutal. Definitely reminiscent of Britt losing her lights out match and then 2 months later winning the title.

• Like 3

Cole/OC was going to have a hard time after the ladder match. I have been kind of over ladder matches but that one was very good, and man did both men go all out.  Easily could or should have been on a PPV - feels like AEW puts a truly PPV match on every other week on Dynamite.  God love TK for that

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DreamBroken said:

Ladder match was wild with tons of insane spots. Another short reign for Cody made the whole switch feel kind of odd. Kinda thought he'd go on another run after last week's epic promo.

Makes you wonder if they'd planned to switch the belt back at BotB. Sammy definitely benefits for having vanquished the bad man. That was hotter than if he'd just retained on Christmas to begin with. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I've not seen Danhausen either but a quick look through YouTube tells me he could be an amazing partner/rival for OC.
10 minutes of clips had me giggling and damn, dude got to do an interview with Conan O'Brien and talk about how he influenced/inspired Danhausen as a performer. Incredible stuff.

Danhausen's outside wrestling stuff like the Conan appearance and his social media presence makes this a good signing in my eyes. Outside of him just being incredibly funny and charismatic, I feel like he'd be the perfect pitchman for AEW. Give him a recurring segment where he runs down the upcoming matches and cards, I feel like he's got a lot of legs as an on screen personality if not necessarily a wrestler. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ladder match scratched the itch for crazy high spots. Holy shit, dudes.  Please don't die.  Right guy went over.  This match seems to have put the heat back under Sammy's title reign.  Let's keep it on track by finding him some quality opposition and book more title defenses.  I like that this card will be bookended by garbage gimmick matches.  

Hobbs and Starks interview was hilarious.   I love the idea of having an interview for Beach Break where the body of water in the backdrop is frozen solid.  Hobbs out in 16 degree weather wearing airbrushed hood dungarees and a fur coat was tremendous.

Trios match was what it was.  I like how Jericho stood by his crew in spite of the disrespect.  That piledriver, tho.  P&P did not turn heel.  I guess that will happen when Kingston is back on television.

Pinnacle beat down of Punk was superb.  I thought for sure that Wardlow would face turn in his hometown, but maybe it is better this way.  MJF is such a terrific shitdick.  I hate him so much.

Red Velvet had the right idea when she went in hot and she got in her axe kick spots before Leyla slowed things down.  For once, Red Velvet had the experience edge and they protected her by having Leyla cheat to win and then try to break her arm in the post match ambush.  Beating Stat would be huge for Leyla but I think that Stat is next in line for a shot at Britt, so the Little Russian That Could should be shrieking while hanging upside down in the Spider Crab when that match ends.

Brody King is rather articulate for a big tattoed guy.  Nice suit, too. 

I admire Britt for maintaining heel stylings even when being cheered.  I don't think that Cleveland was booing Britt so much as they were booing the Pittsburg Steelers.

RIP Anthony Bowens and Julia Hart on Rampage.  There has to be a joke that starts off "Did you hear the one about the one-eyed cheerleader?" but I can't think of it.

I am not sure if I need to see Soho vs. Rose 2 with Nyla probably booked to win the sequel and force a rubber match, unless Ruby hits that ginormous Saito Suplex again on Nyla's big ass.

Adam Cole and Orange Cassidy have a street fight in plain ol ring attire in a normal ring. What the fuck, guys?  It might not be the five-star parking lot brawl between P&P and Best Friends, but at least Cole & Cassidy started off clubbering. And then, DANHAUSEN!  Adam Cole targeting the hand to neutralize the Orange Punch was fucking veteran. The parade of stables running in was fucking great.  The neutralizing of the Orange Punch came into play, but this time Cassidy had a counter for the low blow.  Khan has tons of money.  He won't mind Cole trashing those monitors at all.  Stage breakaway finished was obviously preplanned but that shit did not look overly padded at the bottom.  What a crazy fucking dive.  I am happy that Orange finally gets his revenge.  God bless Adam Cole for taking that bump.  He is a better man than I am.

You just saved me a bunch of typing.

Love him or hate him, Cody will definitely put himself in danger for our viewing pleasure, as will Sammy. This had some ridiculous spots (and how great was the timing on that ladder cutter) without doing something dangerously stupid.

The second half of the lights out match saved the first half. And I just don’t see anyway to safely do that spot with Cassidy’s hand between the ring steps and the ring. Some cuts without any mangled fingers was about the best outcome they could hope for and let’s leave that spot in the past moving forward.

Britt’s lines about giving Cleveland the Baker they deserve were top notch.

MJF-Punk was tedious, glad I was watching on a delay so I could fast-forward to the action.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Danhausen's outside wrestling stuff like the Conan appearance and his social media presence makes this a good signing in my eyes. Outside of him just being incredibly funny and charismatic, I feel like he'd be the perfect pitchman for AEW. Give him a recurring segment where he runs down the upcoming matches and cards, I feel like he's got a lot of legs as an on screen personality if not necessarily a wrestler. 

Danhausen/OC vs THE ASS BOYS=

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 12

If you don't get the Svengoolie reference (we have a long line of cheesy, corny TV horror movie hosts on US television going back to the late great Vampira) then think of him as R-Truth. Personally, this is something I think AEW needs, considering a lot of the fourth wall breaking shit -- its own Ron Killings. Makes the funny funnier and keeps the serious serious. Vince isn't entirely stupid, you know. 

EDIT: 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Cole did the double finger point when he got to the top of the entranceway, so I can only assume his intent was to do a Panama Sunrise from 15 feet up.

Good thing Orange countered, because if my calculations are right, he would've gotten about 8 feet of height on the piledriver.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Sting, Darby, Danhausen, Malakai, Brody King, possibly the Dark Order, Penta is a skeleton. Let's not front like Hangman doesn't hit the eyeliner. The list goes on.

Proud and Powerful got something deadly going on, too, although... I know not what it is. 

Maybe Undertaker is gonna show up, reform the Ministry and have that dream match with Stinger! Haha. Not...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

They're shouting out Dead Presidents 

MV5BMTc1NjIzMDk1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU4

Haven't seen the film, but am I correct in suspecting they're shouting out the realest if not the darkest/scariest side of the dark/scary facepaint?

On this topic, I missed whatever happened with House of Black tonight (where was I?), but last week, I got the vibes that Pac was the real Lord of Darkness, having mastery over the wicked by being "incorruptible." Fuckin loved that. Haven't seen a lot of Pac but how long has he been running with superhero vibes? I know he came in as The Man that Gravity Forgot, which is relatively convoluted for pro-wrestling, but it seems like the gimmick has infinite running power if he's legit god-level demon slayer.

Man, that was a lot of wrestling.  Sammy Guevara is the best wrestler in AEW?  Him or Cody since, Man, they both show up for the big matches.  The future is bright.  I loved the Danhausen debut and I await the beatdown from the Ass Boys.  The bleeding hand by Orange Cassidy made that match scrape by on Dean Demands Blood In A Street Fight new thing I've going through since the WWE brung it up.   That was an effective use of throwing the entire kitchen sink at a match to get it over the finish line.  Daniel Garcia should have gone over after Jericho deserts Santana and Ortiz.  The women's division is treading water right now, but a good Serena Deeb match in the next ten days should remedy that.  Jim Ross should thank his lucky stars that Austin Idol is an active annoucer in NWA, because Ross was deeply shooting for the most annoying announcer on earth tonight.  I'm looking forward to the Gunn Club vs Jurassic Express and the  Briscoes showing up at some point.  YAY!  AEW RULES! 

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm looking forward to the Gunn Club vs Jurassic Express and the  Briscoes showing up at some point.  YAY!  AEW RULES! 

Briscoes said on facebook that AEW ain't gonna bring them in because they'll whoop FTR in 5 minutes and destroy their entire tag division right off the bat and make them look bad. 

Tony Khan told them to say that, right? I mean, right sir? I sure as hell hope he did anyways...

• Like 1