DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 1/26/22

Technico Support

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd go:

Guevara/Rhodes, ****1/4.

Cassidy/Cole, ***.

I was disappointed with Cassidy/Cole. As I said earlier, Conti/Jay vs. Bunny/Ford felt more like a Lights Out match than the one we wound up with.

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m not really a match rater but these all sound about right to me. And that Women’s Street Fight really kind of set a standard that the men’s gimmick matches haven’t met yet.

Cheers bud!

• Like 1

Gotta admit that I don't understand MJF being ready and willing to face Punk in Chicago. Isn't that Punk's hometown? Wasn't he scared and running from Punk not that long ago? Is it just him thinking he will embarrass Punk in his hometown? Kayfabe-wise, does he have an ace up his sleeve? I do like his confidence, but I have no idea where this is going.

5 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Gotta admit that I don't understand MJF being ready and willing to face Punk in Chicago. Isn't that Punk's hometown? Wasn't he scared and running from Punk not that long ago? Is it just him thinking he will embarrass Punk in his hometown? Kayfabe-wise, does he have an ace up his sleeve? I do like his confidence, but I have no idea where this is going.

Yeah, but they softened Punk up this week, while MJF has been fresh as a daisy. Plus MJF is good at not losing.

35 minutes ago, Horatio said:

My guess is that in this case, when he said it will be CM Punk vs MJF... "MJF" stands for Mr. Jerry Flynn. 

Spoiler

Or: Maybe Jollyville Fuck-its??

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

My guess is that in this case, when he said it will be CM Punk vs MJF... "MJF" stands for Mr. Jerry Flynn. 

Hide contents

Or: Myers/Money Jollyville Fuck-its

Edit/Quote confusion. Again.

Um: 

Mr. Jackie Fargo?

Mr. Jimmy-Jack Funk?

Mutilator Jack Foley?

Mountie Jean-Pierre LaFitte

Monstrous Jacob Fatu?

Monsieur Jean Ferre?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, Technico Support said:

Shit yeah, I forgot to mention Sammy going from selling the off-the-ladder Crossrhodes like death, to jumping to his feet and sprinting up the ladder fresh as a daisy.  That was terrible.  I was thinking, "maybe he'll stay on the ground selling but kick at the ladder?"  Nope.  Just picked an arbitrary time to stop selling and moved to the next spot.  Likewise, there wasn't much time between the ladder cutter and the Crossrhodes.

this my issue with these sorts of matchs..no music between the notes. It reminds me of the Wild West Hollywood Stunt show you see at amusement parks where the whole point is the stunts. And you kinda go from stunt to stunt. now some of the stunts where incredible but I felt a lack of a story hurt the match overall

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

this my issue with these sorts of matchs..no music between the notes. It reminds me of the Wild West Hollywood Stunt show you see at amusement parks where the whole point is the stunts. And you kinda go from stunt to stunt. now some of the stunts where incredible but I felt a lack of a story hurt the match overall

They could have shaved a couple of minute each from Punk-MJF and DMD and given this match some more time so they didn't have to rush the spots so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Honestly, I feel like I've seen more robotic spotfest ladder matches than this one was. Cody constantly reminding Sammy that his face was in perfect firing range for his elbows was the highlight of the match for me. Like I said before, that elbow to head height ratio between Cody and Sammy is not something you see every day. Was there one bad forearm from Cody in that match? Each hit was direct and not your usual "hulk smash" angry flurry forearm attack

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

I do hear you, but I think the true issue here is that Sammy jumped up from the mat and ran up the ladder. I just went back to check and he sold the move for 50 seconds on the ground before getting up. I'd say that's enough space in between, he just needed to sell it more (getting up groggily, stumbling up ladder)

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 3

I think Cody/Sammy fit pretty well in to the lineage of the Modern American Main Event Spotfest, starting with Southern babyface tag teams w/ long hair, solidifying around early 90's Shawn Michaels, then WCW Cruiserweight, PWG Guerilla Warfare, possibly peaking with Silver Age NXT Takeovers. As opposed to the Memphis / Texas -> Puerto Rico / Japan -> ECW / Northeast Indies -> AEW TV midcard feud blowoff lineage , which, even in it's high-flying permutations, relies a lot more on a slower spot-to-spot tempo and blood than looking pretty and bumping big. 

For the record, I'm pretty sure those early-00's TLC matches and a lot of the better TNA gimmick matches (like the Six Sides of Steel everybody remembers) are the exact midpoint of those styles. Maybe that's the sweet spot.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3