DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

Oh yeah, I meant to post.

Taped last week (among other matches) were...

Spoiler
  • Emi vs Statlander
  • Silver/Reynolds vs Chaos Project
  • Top Flight vs Khash/Davari
  • Emi vs Shalonce Royal which should be pretty entertaining
  • Lethal vs JD Drake
  • Hobbs vs Fuego
  • Best Friends vs Wingmen
  • Scorpio vs Sonny
  • Hogan vs Velvet
  • Top Flight vs Wingmen
  • Butcher and Blade vs Angels/Cabana
  • Nyla vs Skye
  • Lethal vs Serpentico
  • Brock/Lee vs Private Party
  • Diamante/Emi vs AQA/Ruby

So we've got some good stuff upcoming.

• Like 2

That episode of Elevation was fabulous!  That was very much a WCW Saturday Night episode- but without commercials, it goes 32 minutes.  That was the best Emi Sakura match she's had in a while.  Kris Statlander was good in that.  Ruby Soho gave a whole lot to Session Moth Martina.  I don't understand her name though I do know she is Irish, maybe that has something to do with it.  And she does lay it in.  That was good.  Scorpio Sky RESPECTS YOU, BOOKER MAN! And that was good and Egon Page on commentary was not annoying.  Scorpio Sky is the best wrestler in AEW?  And the Yuta Wheeler/Aaron Solo match was a big wad of goofy fun.  YAY! AEW RULES!

• Like 4

In Irish slang, "Session" refers to going out for drinks. Specifically a drinking session. "Moth" is slang for someone (I think it's gendered to only mean women though) you only see after the sun goes down. So Session Moth basically means party person.

• Like 7

Caught this instead of 86 NJPW tonight since I needed something easy and light after the PPV.

Paul Wight is not a play by play guy. They should have cycled in some more people like Ethan Page to help out, but I'm not sure they'd have been able to direct traffic well. Paul and Mark had fun together but eh.

Lance Archer vs Cam Stewart?: "With a time limit of hopefully two minutes" is a pretty great gimmick. I do like how Archer switches it up. Here it was endless clotheslines.

Ruby vs Session Moth Martina: Ruby should have found a way to have a little more fun with her maybe? When you have a bombastic character you're up against, making faces at her might not be the way to go. They could have played it up as some sort of punk vs ... dance barfly? I don't know. Work was ok. Martina has a sort of sweeping, stumbling way of attacking where she throws her body into it, so good for her for working the gimmick? No Future is kind of the worst. Sorry.

Garcia vs Ray Jaz: I liked Mark talking up Jaz and then his most effective move was covering up. 2.0 were great heckling on the outside, including Parker sitting on the apron while doing it. Garcia portrays such a chip on his shoulder.

Sky vs Dean: This was a perfectly fine wrestling match. I liked how Dean took the TKO more like a stunner. A lot of more traditional bits of layout here including the manager distraction leading to the transition and some of how Sky let himself get clowned after dominance early on.

Statlander vs Sakura: Statlander has as much physical confidence and presence as anyone in AEW. And she takes offense like a stuntwoman, which she was. I love that she was able to catch Emi in the corner but that Emi got to actually hit her move through the ropes later. I feel a little disappointed we didn't get a Ruby/Kris vs Session Moth Martina/Emi tag though. Imagine that.

Yuta vs Solo: Awesome finish. Solo comes off like a guy who can base for 80% of what Yuta wants to do but not 100%. Which, to be fair, very few people on the roster probably could. Yuta's flying body press is a hell of a thing and it alone would have made him a great regional upper mid card babyface in 1985. I like how into Yuta Henry is for some reason. I really think he should be leaning into the fact he's a Best Friend and be doing that sort of sneaky, funny stuff much more while backstopping it with the moves and workrate and what have you.

Nice, painless show. We should get better stuff tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I forgot how much I missed Session Moth so it was wonderful to see her again.  I really hope she comes back for more and would think signing her would be a good idea.  But I haven't seen her wrestle in so long that part of that is me assuming she's been better.

Oh, and it was apparent that Wright and Mark were asked to try and play it more straight which felt like a test to see how well they'd do.  They weren't bad but Wright just doesn't feel right doing play-by-play and Mark had to be less laid back in the process.  Aside from fun matches I feel it's best to keep Tony or Excalibur there and just let Paul and Mark shoot the shit.  But if part of it is due to Tony and Excalibur being really busy then I hope a third play-by-play guy is brought in soon.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

This was only my second time seeing Session Moth Martina (I think the other was against Su Yung?), but I really feel like she's better suited to a match structure where she can do broader character work. She was just sort of there in this one, outside of a couple of grinding-on-Ruby moments. Ruby does some good selling. I echo the above, she should have played off of SMM more.

Just when I was rounding the corner on Archer, they pick probably the least interesting move to base a one-move match around. I get what they were going for, though.

Sky/Dean, Emi/Stat, and Garcia/Jaz were pretty good. The idea of a "main event" on a show like this might be a bit of a stretch, but I feel like the women's match would have worked better than the Yuta/Solow match. Did like the QT/Yuta fake interference bit, and I understand why that would go on last.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

In Irish slang, "Session" refers to going out for drinks. Specifically a drinking session. "Moth" is slang for someone (I think it's gendered to only mean women though) you only see after the sun goes down. So Session Moth basically means party person.

Get These Cans.

• Like 2

Man, Dark was a lot of wrestling.  Pretty Peter Avalon was so the star of the show.  One forgets how good the Wingmen are.  They fucking rule.  Jay Lethal is the best wrestler in AEW.  I LOVED the four reversals to finally hit the brainbuster.  This was a successful wrestling show because Isiah Kassidy screamed like a little girl.  I assume Kassidy is getting pushed to a singles match with Sammy Guevara.  AQA's Shooting Star Press was spectacular though that match was marred by that crappy spot that Emi insists on doing every match.  A Colt Cabana siting!  HE and Butcher were good laying it in.  I assume Danhausen will be wrestling soon.  YAY! AEW RULES!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

If avalon ever decided to cut that hair, he should lose it Mexico because it deserves to go out with a 10k payoff. 

You saw how when he got it cut last month he donated to Locks of Love?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 8:15 PM, DEAN said:

That episode of Elevation was fabulous!  That was very much a WCW Saturday Night episode- but without commercials, it goes 32 minutes.  That was the best Emi Sakura match she's had in a while.  Kris Statlander was good in that.  Ruby Soho gave a whole lot to Session Moth Martina.  I don't understand her name though I do know she is Irish, maybe that has something to do with it.  And she does lay it in.  That was good.  Scorpio Sky RESPECTS YOU, BOOKER MAN! And that was good and Egon Page on commentary was not annoying.  Scorpio Sky is the best wrestler in AEW?  And the Yuta Wheeler/Aaron Solo match was a big wad of goofy fun.  YAY! AEW RULES!

On 3/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, AxB said:

The tag match between Session Moth/Joey Ryan vs Colt Cabana & Marty DeRosa at Pancakes and Piledrivers (it's on Highspots) was some pretty great comedy wrestling.  Need to watch it again to see if it holds up or if it's kinda skeevy in retrospect due to Joey Ryan being involved.

Jay Lethal's AEW run has been quietly impressive.  Nice to see this guy make good on the opportunity and have a bit of a run.  Scorpio Sky continues to look solid on Dark.  I've heard rumours about an expected push.  If true, I'm curious to see how he does on the bigger TV platform as a singles.  I hope he succeeds.  Also, loved that PPV clip package opening-nicely done!  Tho expected, Red Velvet over Kiera Hogan is one of the few times I've been disappointed by the decision.  Red (who is certanily getting better despite her ultra-stoopid finish) needs to take that annoying natural heel act (and asshole taunt) to the darkside.  Kiera needs some wins (please?).  The division is not so deep as to squander a talent like Hogan.  Not saying he's squandered, but I could see Colt Cabana more consistently on the Youtube weeklies and be pleased about it.  I love watching his smooth play.  Yeah, where the Dark Order are feeling a bit like the dinner guests who've stayed a little longer than preferred, the Wingmen just keep on truckin'.  I'd love to serve JD and the gang some beyond beef, and see his inevitable shock 'it's not real beef'!  Pretty Peter is seemingly showing how you do it while working under pressure (it's inspiring).  Kudos Avalon!  I love the Butcher and the Blade.  I like imagining how good Butcher might get one day.  And 'The Blade Daddy' is getting him there.  Dug Nyla-Skye.  And is Brock Anderson kinda getting there?  Marq Quen needs to get his shit together and step it back up to Isaiah's level.  Loved that Hardy-Arn interaction.  Fun Dark!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JLowe said:

You saw how when he got it cut last month he donated to Locks of Love?

I didn't, but good on him.  I just hope the kid doesn't get the pretty Pete vibes by osmosis...

tumblr_5fc5214dfffd7364a2839578004267af_c4ed74f6_500.gif

• Haha 5

Had a short day of fieldwork due to cold rain so caught up some on YT shows. Taz really annoyed the shit out of me, catchphrase Jones needs to stop trying to get himself over.

That Solo-Yuta match was really really good, I just can’t care much for either of them but they went all out and really nailed it. Plus the very funny spot with Yuta pretending that Marshall crotched him on the ropes to get Marshall ejected. Marshall has a little bit of Heenan to him.

edit to add: remembered that the Sydal-Serpentico match was also really good. One of these days Serpentico's streak is going to be broken and those of us in this thread will party!

Edited by JLowe

Jon Silver is joining the World's Greatest Beel contest!  He loses to Keith Lee and Powerhouse Hobbs, but Silver is one third the size either so he gets honorable mention,  KiLynn King and Skye Blue are a good face tagteam.  Skye Blue can sell an assbeating and KiLynn is a good house a-fire.  The Bunny and Emi Sakura are good at beating heat on a babyface.  Jay Lethal is the best wrestler in AEW.  Frankie Kazarian versus Tiger Ruas was the best match of the show. I loved the scissors takedown by Ruas.  AEW RULES!

• Like 4

Bunny was a fantastic mean girl bully to Skye Blue during their match. I liked that one the best, partly because it felt like the only one where either team could have credibly won.

Three women's matches this week with the Nyla squash (and the insult to injury after) and the decent Ruby Soho match. Feels like they're building Nyla up to get back on the main show.

I'm 100% behind a Chaos Project-Dark Order feud. 

• Like 2