DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

9 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh yeah, that Mercedes Martinez vs Queen Aminata was pretty good- especially Aminata selling ner own headbutt.,

I loved that too. Dark's always a good watch if you want to see what the women's division is going to look like in 2-3ish years, I think. People like Aminata, Megan Bayne, and Willow Nightingale (I won't count Skye Blue since she's signed already) would be great signings to round things out down the road.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2022 at 1:46 PM, colonial said:

Per Cagematch, there appears to be four matches that didn't air from that Dark taping ...

Sonny Kiss vs. Aaron Solo

Dante/Moriarty/Matt Sydal vs. Private Party/Blade

Lee Johnson vs. Powerhouse Hobbs

Abadon squash

If they are building to some kind of match involving Dante/Moriarty/Sydal vs. Team Taz, perhaps they hold the middle two matches for next week ahead of a possible Dynamite or Rampage showdown.

Abadon squashes are generally blink and you miss it these days, so it's a bit odd that their match was put on ice.

Just announced these matches will be airing tomorrow as a "special Thursday" episode of Dark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey, those were the three from DC that they didn't air!  Awesome!  So now I can safely say to @Matt Dhere's that Sonny/Solo match that's worth checking out.  I remember with it being the first match that night the crowd was super into it so hopefully it comes across that way on Dark.

And with those three being pretty damn fun (plus the squash) I guess they decided it was special enough to have those stand out a bit more.  I like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Catching up on Dark 2/8, just some quick thoughts.

Hart vs Heather: Hart going from smiling to making the faces is pretty effective so far. The aggression is good. She's playing it out in her ringwork which is what you always want to see. I kind of wish she wasn't doing the humor bits on the vlog with Garrison, for multiple reasons, but what are you going to do, right? It's 2022. I think it's generally ok to do vlog stuff if it doesn't actively contradict an angle, or if you don't have an angle in order to come up with something that might stick, but maybe not when in an angle? There's a compromise line somewhere.

Mercedes vs Aminata had good stuff but someone seemed a half step off at times. Ogogo looks better every week as he just keeps experimenting with things and working them in. He needs to have a few more competitive matches though. Moriarty vs Henry was very good. I'm not saying they should outright sign Henry but they should always have a place for him on a taping like this. Fuego and Serpentico was good but I wish it was just a little more shticky. Luther making Taz and Excalibur break is one of the best parts of Dark. Fuego has a name for the foot stomp but if Excalibur doesn't know it, I can't be bothered either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was the best episode of THUNDER in twenty years!  That Hobbs/Johnson match was Dark miracle match.  The main event was yet another fun AEW six man.  HEY!  I THOUGHT MATT HARDY WALKED AWAY FROM PRIVATE PARTY!  Isiah Kassidy saved his girlish scream for a larger. thicker batch of opponents.  The Solo/Kiss match was good and the finish was surprising.  MILLION STARS!

• Like 7

Special "Thursday" Dark (it's Friday here):

Sonny Kiss vs. Aaron Solo: That's not a Pedigree. It's a Double Underhook Facebuster. Fast-paced, all-action match. Fun stuff.

Abadon vs. Gia Scott: Did nobody tell Gia to sell fear w/r/t Abadon's gimmick? She worked this like a regular match. But she did a fine job of bumping and selling, and Mark Henry sold his fear charmingly well.

Powerhouse vs Shotty: I liked the contrast in pace depending on who was on offense, with Hobbs biding his time and hitting his spots whereas Big Shotty ran around hitting the big man with everything he had. That spot on the outside where Hobbs fireman's carried Lee face-first into the ringpost was sick. I'll bet Hobbs enjoyed hitting a (great looking) spinebuster in front of El Hijo del Double A, too.

Private Party and The Blade vs. Dante Martin, Matt Sydal and Lee Moriarty: Obviously that assisted sringboard flippy was meant to be the highspot that we take away from this match, but I honestly popped harder for:

- Moriarty jumping up and down on the apron while waiting for the hot tag from Sydal.

- "Oh my Gawd I'm so strong!" ?

- The triple abdominal stretch spot.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Abadon vs. Gia Scott: Did nobody tell Gia to sell fear w/r/t Abadon's gimmick? She worked this like a regular match. But she did a fine job of bumping and selling, and Mark Henry sold his fear charmingly well.

I love my ridiculousness in wrestling as much as the next guy, but I'm over "spooky" gimmicks.  I especially think they hurt the opponent when they're a champ.  Seth Rollins and Shida were both high-profile wrestlers who had to act scared of an opponent because they dressed spooky.  

You're a trained fighter and an adult.  That's a person in makeup or a mask, you know this.  Just fight them.  

• Like 2

They're pro athletes. Remember school? Athletic kids are dumb. Pro athletes are worse. Aaron Rodgers is considered a genius among NFL players, and he's a gibbering moron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

I love my ridiculousness in wrestling as much as the next guy, but I'm over "spooky" gimmicks.  I especially think they hurt the opponent when they're a champ.  Seth Rollins and Shida were both high-profile wrestlers who had to act scared of an opponent because they dressed spooky.  

You're a trained fighter and an adult.  That's a person in makeup or a mask, you know this.  Just fight them.  

The fear is because they're unpredictable and will do weird things like try and bite your fingers off. That said, I agree that there are too many dark gimmicks and they can come off as corny, but I know I'm in the minority there. They don't need to say that Abadon is undead, they need to just say that she THINKS she's undead and that makes her dangerous. Malakai Black doesn't need to be some black arts dude, he can be an ass-kicker who will also spit black shit in your eyes to win.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The fear is because they're unpredictable and will do weird things like try and bite your fingers off. That said, I agree that there are too many dark gimmicks and they can come off as corny, but I know I'm in the minority there. They don't need to say that Abadon is undead, they need to just say that she THINKS she's undead and that makes her dangerous. Malakai Black doesn't need to be some black arts dude, he can be an ass-kicker who will also spit black shit in your eyes to win.

You touched on a good point here.  The issue is, that most of the people doing these gimmicks, don't wrestle appropriately for them.  You can't come out looking all scary and then throw light-looking strikes and a bunch of cooperative spots.  If you're gonna look unhinged, wrestle that way.  That's my biggest issue with Abadon in particular.  She just doesn't seem like a threat in the ring.  I mean, between the ropes, I'm going to be way more scared of Emi in her frilly purple outfit beating my ass than the girl with the demon face paint.  I know Abadon is fairly new to wrestling, so there's still plenty of time for her to get there.

I think (hope) that AEW is smart enough to present all of these people as "dangerous wrestlers employing mind games" and that's cool.  I just don't want to see Adam Page crying in a corner if Bray comes to work for them.

Thursday Special Dark Thursday: quick thoughts

Kiss vs Solo: Nick had talked this up and it was quite good. Maybe the best Solo singles match I've seen. They kept a fast pace, hit things clean, and used the tools they had at their disposal with Kiss' agility and QT on the outside. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to give Kiss a small push for a TV program at this point.

Abadon vs Scott: The way I'd put it is that Scott looked good from a kayfabe perspective but not from an overall perspective. I wish they would have caught Abadon's finish cleaner.

I liked the personality bit talking about the music for Johnson before the match with Hobbs. Maybe it went one rotation too long and Hobbs should have been able to put him down a little quicker but it was still solid. The spot on the outside was sick and Starks made it by marking out for it completely. Johnson never really got into the match after that (which is the big reason why I thought it went a little too long).

Private Party/Blade vs Sydal/Moriarty/Dante: This was a good one. Good pairings. I'd like to see Blade vs Moriarty. As good as it is to see him bump all over the place and help make guys, I like Kassidy in this setting. He's able to breathe a bit more and work in his flourishes between moves. He's always on because he loves wrestling and loves being out there and it's obvious. I love how he stopped Moriarty's through the legs move. That's one thing that just shouldn't always work. It's too contrived and stopping it now and again makes a big difference. The lift-up into a powerbomb tandem move by Dante and Moriarty was really nice and of course the dive was super. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 2/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, Log said:

You touched on a good point here.  The issue is, that most of the people doing these gimmicks, don't wrestle appropriately for them.  You can't come out looking all scary and then throw light-looking strikes and a bunch of cooperative spots.  

Exactly, Abadon should wrestle like purple Taker.