DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Card for tonight - looking forward to the six woman tag. We need more Emi on TV

Some strong matches there! Expect that there will be some angle advancement with Dante and Hobbs as well.

• Like 1

Elevation was pretty good.  Powerhouse Hobbs versus Matt Sydel was good if inevitable.  The ten man was good and it didn't go by the usual Dark Order formula. Anthony Bowen's finisher was nasty and they should try to get it over. That six man was the best Emi Sakura has looked so far.  I loved the Tay Conti moonsault.  The Jersey Shore Released High Angle German was a complete lunatic move.  YAY!  AEW RULES! 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Was it just the camera angle, or did Tay Conti come very close to decapitating herself on the ring apron during that moonsault? Total lunatic.

It looked even scarier live. Nyla went down awkwardly trying to catch her so it looked like they were both hurt. 

• Like 1

Elevation 2/14/22

Dante Martin vs Kevin Matthews: Martin gave Matthew a lot early. A gnarly bump for a clothesline especially. Matthews tends to look good in all of his performances between his size and experience and at least some presence. I would have liked Martin to hit one non-dive move to set up the finish, or, I guess, alternative to hit one more dive but that seems like a big much. Just something extra to put Matthews down. I'd say the Nose Dive is one of the more protected moves in AEW as he always gets a pin with it, he can hit it at any point of the match, and it doesn't need a set up, but given how much he gave Matthews, one more thing would have been good.

Thunder Rosa vs Riley Shepard: Gnarly moves/bumps/spots was the theme for the night. Here it was the double stomp. I liked how no nonsense Rosa was with the Mercedes match ahead of her. Not sure what happened with the finisher but it did give the impression that Rosa could beat her with literally almost anything.

Serpentico vs Clayton: Serpentico comes off like Heath Slater during the period where WWE was using him to put over legends and celebrities and whoever else. Can make anyone look good. Can be in different sorts of matches. As always, I could have used just a bit more comedy but we got an insane German instead. He sold it after but they almost should have adapted things after that. Luther was effective on the floor with the kick and then getting destroyed. Powerslam on the floor looked nasty too. I'm curious what the actual plan with Clayton is.

Hobbs vs Sydal: Loved the bit where Hobbs caught Sydal's leg after running around the outside. Thought it was great how Wight and Henry put over the nervehold. I liked how Hobbs survived the knee when he was taking Sydal over. Would have liked one more impactful move after the interference at the end. Maybe it'd just delay Sydal on the top and Hobbs could have caught him off the top for a spinebuster or something before the rack. It just felt a little off compared to the house style.

Dark Order vs Acclaimed/2.0/Garcia: Eh, a lot of noise. I liked the big structural moments. The swarm and then the counter swarm on the second attempt. I though Reynolds looked very good clearing house which is not a role he gets to be in often. It's not like the spots weren't well timed after everything broke down but the match wasn't given enough time to justify it. It would have been better after a more conventional shine and heat that lasted ten minutes. Plus, a lot of what I wanted out of these teams were more character bits. Matt Lee holding up the boom box and Caster snatching it away from him post match was probably the best thing in the entire match. I'm not sure about Angels and the hat. At least he's trying something.

Emi/Bunny/Nyla vs Ruby/TayJay: This needed a couple more minutes too. I liked Emi's counter by grabbing the face so she could hit her reverse headlock move. Loved Bunny's sell of No Future. Love the aggression between Bunny and Anna as they just stormed into each other with forearms. Just wasn't enough here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like Zack Clayton and hope he gets signed, seems to have potential. Loved how he got AEW clips on the last season of Jersey Shore and it was edited there to make it look like he was winning matches and now he actually gets the big first AEW win.

Silver/Reynolds vs Khash/Daivari was really good. Reynolds in particular looked sharp, and he never sticks out to me. Khash and Daivari are a better team than some of the signed teams. 

I have to sit through a QT match while Comoroto is right there? Salt meet wound. Ditto for a Caster match when Bowens is right there, but at least he’s getting some heat before Wardlow kills him. Platinum Max’s Mic Drop is a pretty good flying elbow. 

Another great Carlie Bravo performance. If Nese is the Premier Athlete he should incorporate more spots like the bicycle crunch kick. 

Fuego Del Sol needs some work on promos. Where’s Fuego Dos? I bet he’s a better talker.

Emi My Queen! Angelica Risk is pretty good, but there’s a bit of hesitation when she’s on offense. 

I don’t think Nakazawa/Sweets would’ve made the show if Excalibur and Taz’s commentary wasn’t so goddam funny. 

When I look at Luke Sampson I’m momentarily transported back to 1997, and that ain’t bad.

The 7:00 pm Rampage this week got me excited in a way that reminds me that I’m hurtling towards middle age.  

Everything Matt wrote about Serpentico’s performance on last night’s show can be applied to the Chaos Project vs Angels/Ten match. What a performer. 

I love Taz and Generico knowingly chuckling together at botches and ill advised spots. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

During the first couple of matches on Elevation yesterday, I took extra care in paying attention to what the "enhancement talent" were doing. Kind of like ignoring what the magician is doing with the wand to try and catch what's really going on.

And I noticed some stuff!

Hyper-specifically: You can pretty clearly see Kevin Matthews adjusting his feet and body to re-position himself to catch Dante Martin on both the springboard cross-body to the outside and the nose dive. 

You can pretty clearly see Riley Shepard tensing up to properly take the double footstomp from Thunder Rosa.

I do not mean that as a criticism of Matthews or Shepard. All of those moves, particularly the foot stomp, looked great. It sure as hell isn't the case that I didn't want Matthews to do a good job of "catching" Dante!

What it made me think of, however, is just how amazing the acting and split-second timing of more experienced wrestlers must be. Surely, making adjustments when you are basing for a high flyer and tensing your body to take a high-impact mover are things that happen all the time in pro wrestling... but how often do we notice it?

Watch that gif that @DEAN posted of Nyla catching Tay!! It's partly the camera angle... but good Lord that looks like two people crashing and burning, rather than one person scrambling to catch another. 

Pro wrestling at that level is, in my opinion, extremely impressive. Half an inch and a split second away from disaster but presumably safe as houses.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's weird.  Kind of a lackluster Dark but if this were 1997 and this was WCW Saturday Night, SIX matches would make the Permanent Tape.  We are so spoiled with good wrestling in 2022.  (BP) is totally correct about Invictus and Daivari.  AEW needs a US tag title so they could have good matches putting the champs over.  Carlie Bravo would be the Chip Minton of the 2022 Permanent Tape and Tony Nese kind of offhandedly has a good match.  Angelica Risk got in some stuff while Emi is on a hot streak, doing a real Jushin Thunder Lyger on Worldwide channelization.  2.0 would make the Permanent Tape out of general principle.  Chaos Project were the best thing on the show- especially Luther who controlled the whole match and made it crazy fun.  Anthony Bowen's nasty finisher two days in a row!  YAY! AEW RULES~!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Finally watched Dark Elevation. The Jersey Shore guy doesn't need to be on my laptop again. It was funny seeing Serpentico lighting him up with stiff punches and elbows after almost having his neck broken, and Luther messing with the Jersey Shore folks. The Hobbs-Sydal match was excellent. After the Hobbs music promo, I could actually see him as a decent face. Also noticed they didn't actually use his new music. 10-man was alright, I can do without most of Dark Order (save Silver and 10 and I guess we count Anna there), happy to see Bowens get the win. Thunder Rosa had a nice squash. Dante's match was much more competitive than expected but he hit his spots and the announcers are really putting him over big. The women's trios match was solid in the short time frame (and I'm always gonna enjoy seeing Bunny); hope Tay bought Nyla a nice dinner for saving her life. One thing I noticed at the end of the match is that Bunny still has some thumbtacks in the bottom of her boots.

Edit to add: the announcers, especially the Wight-Henry banter, were great once again. They really get everyone over and come across as genuine.

Edited by JLowe

32 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

for those following the rubeaver saga, the fan made present is great.

I’ve never watched a full one and now it’s really hard to dislike him.

also, Danhausen is a long lost Billy Crystal character, right?

• Like 1

Tomorrow's Elevation looks like a blast.

• Archer kills a guy.
  • Ruby Soho vs Haley J which, as I have heard, should be something.
  • Andrade teaming with Butcher/Blade and Private Party against the JTTS team of Dean/Bravo/Baron Black/Jameson Ryan/Chandler Hopkins. Really interested to see how he interacts with his crew.
  • The usual women's six man, but this time with Leyla on the heel side with Nyla and Sakura, and Kiera Hogan and A.Q.A. with Skye on the face side.
  • A Bunny heat-up match to set her up to challenge Jade.
  • The oddball team of Lethal/Sydal/Kazarian/Johnson/Anderson vs Chaos Project and Wingmen (Drake~!/Avalon/Bononi).
  • And a couple of other things (a Velvet/TayJay vs Enhancement trios and 2.0/Garcia/Gunn Club vs VIOLENCE IS FOREVER and some other guys).
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ruby Soho vs Haley J which, as I have heard, should be something.

lol. I've seen some of the reactions to Haley J from Black twitter accounts. Happy Black History Month! ?

Edited by Jiji