DVDVR Message Board

AEW Youtube Nonsense (Dark/Elevation, vlogs, etc.)

NikoBaltimore

4 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I will say this weeks Dark felt like the most complete show I’ve seen them do for YouTube in a while. Thought good Penta was out for Wheeler who remains game, even if never a guy in that Garcia/Moriarty club of having more upside. 8 man tag was super fun, even if I did wish they would do more with everyone involved at this point. Main event was a good match, but that isn’t surprising with who was involved. I do find it funny for a guy with so much experience that Solo always managed to find himself in the wrong spot. Dude almost backed right into a spot as it was going on. Isn’t that guy a trainer?

You're right on Yuta, but I can't help but think he fits very nicely into their future. And I sense it's as a heel. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I'm kinda bummed about BTE lately. This has to be the worst run in the history of the series because every episode is Brandon fancam from a match, something with the Bucks clothes or shoes, something with Adam Cole, and then, for whatever fucking reason, another skit with Ryan Nemeth. These Ryan Nemeth skits have been going on for what feels like a whole year now and they're never good. 

This is why I think Sammy's vlog and even Ethan Page's vlogs have been better. They're not very skit heavy, but at least it's not the same bullshit over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

With danhausen getting signed I'm assuming there be an angle with the Gunn club.  Heels being mad at you calling them names is pro wrestling as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

That's Billy Gunn's best friend, sir!

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is why I think Sammy's vlog and even Ethan Page's vlogs have been better. They're not very skit heavy, but at least it's not the same bullshit over and over again.

I can't stand Sammy's vlog squad, since it seems like they're all just trying to rip off David Dobrik and shit at times, but Ethan Page/Evil Uno/The Bunny always have quality, straight forward vlogs. Just backstage stuff, traveling, home life, etc. And I very much enjoy Ethan Page going on figure hunts - Nyla Rose is going to be on one soon! And he's also going to Sheetz with Ruby.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm kinda bummed about BTE lately. This has to be the worst run in the history of the series because every episode is Brandon fancam from a match, something with the Bucks clothes or shoes, something with Adam Cole, and then, for whatever fucking reason, another skit with Ryan Nemeth. These Ryan Nemeth skits have been going on for what feels like a whole year now and they're never good. 

It's gotta be because they are heels. I loved BTE when they were faces, and I LOVED Wrestlers on the Road Getting Room Service (or whatever that was called).

Like @Casey says about those other blogs, I genuinely enjoyed all the "backstage stuff, traveling, home life, etc." and I miss it now. I loved the skits where different wrestlers defended the BTE title in goofy-ass games and contests. Seeing Eddie Kingston mark out over people playing Uno backstage warmed my heart like crazy!

But I get why they don't wanna do any heartwarming stuff now that they are bad guys.

Edited by Gordlow

AEW sent Danhausen a welcome pack isn't that nice.

And meanwhile, in 2017:

From when he used to disguise himself as a normal human and pretend to be a regular type of wrestler.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Moriarty/Dante Martin/Sydel vs the Factory was good if all over the place.  I really love an AEW six man match because there were so many odd parts to the match.  The Penta/Serpentico match was great.  Penta is awesome as a singles guy having time filler matches because he is having so much fun putting together a match based solely on the audience reacting.  That's such great lucha.  Brandie Rhodes is a mom and I respect her for getting back in the ring.  Yes.

• Like 3

Dark Elevation 1/31/21

Archer vs Oliver: Archer refusing the fans the chop remains fun. He should have menaced some poor kid at ringside again. Jake just hanging out on the ramp was pretty good. Post match promo wasn't the world's best or anything but it worked. It's a good presentation. I'm not a huge Adam Page fan from the few matches I've seen with him but I'm intrigued.

Brandi vs King: Two pretty ok Brandi matches in a row. She takes offense well. Nothing egregious in this one. The kicks generally looked good. Obviously King is good. If they'd put her in against Megan Meyers it would have been disaster, but Brandi works hard and tries hard. Maybe she needed just a little more to put King down to protect her?

Lethal vs Carrington: Lethal had given up a lot in his last couple of singles matches, so it was good that he didn't here. This felt like a fairly well balanced squash. Lots of showcase offense. Him deciding to do a dive on dark against this guy was a choice but it was fine and got a replay. The finishing stretch of the elbow drop followed by the Lethal Injection felt appropriate.

Anna Jay vs Nikki Victory: Could not tell these two apart. Anna making short work of her was a mercy to me. Frigging 80s NJPW wrestlers all wearing black trunks.

Dante/Sydal/Moriarty vs Comoroto/Solow/Marshall: Fine, I'll give Solo his "w". I swear they bill him as Solo a lot of the time? I feel like we got a lot more Sydal in this than the other two but that was ok. Sydal can turn up the speed in key moments (like a rana counter) in a way that's truly impressive, especially for a guy towards the end of his 30s. They protect Comoroto fairly well in these matches but I do hope he gets a program or two in 2022. Marshall is one of the only guys in the company with actual heat as opposed to something more post-modern but it's more a bonus for a live crowd that wants to chant and boo than anything that will draw or get anyone but a real lower card act (or someone on the rise like Hook) over. This was fun though not very memorable. I did sort of buy the triple team near fall on Dante though.

Soho/Rosa vs Navarro/Meyers: Ugly match. I'm not sure what Meyers deal was but she didn't seem to want to play along. Lots of weird bits of placement/positioning. I think they would have been better served creating a tag or six-woman titles instead of the TBS title. Ah well.

Penta vs Serpentico: I don't think I commented on it but Pentagon vs Yuta was really good. Maybe Yuta's best AEW match I've seen. That surprised me as Penta was super game to go along with all his stuff and most of it hit clean. Plus tons of character throughout. Serpentico was fun here, but they could have gone deeper into the shtick. The transition to brief heel offense was very dumb. You make a huge deal out of kicking the post, you actually sell it. Including not putting your knees up to block a dive and then ignore it like nothing happened. It's the kind of bullshit that doesn't just hurt the match, but that hurts everyone else's effort when they use the post for an injury wrinkle in a match later. For the promotion, the post is more valuable than Serpentico (and I dig Serpentico) so give it proper respect. At the very least, the announcers should have been covering for Penta's shitty, selfish pro wrestling by saying his complex gear protected him or something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dark Elevation was just there at best, bad at worst.

The BikerTaker Lance Archer had a squash. Eh.

I’m not saying Brandi is a bad wrestler...oh wait yes I am. Kailynnn King would not have been my guess as who the enhancement talent was if I went in to this match cold.

The Lethal match was decent, made him look good without being a total squash.

The best part of the Anna Jay squash was how the Queenslayer came out of nowhere. That match was shorter than Brandi’s entrance.

The 6-man was fine, only person who really came out looking good was Dante, whose finisher flew about 2/3 the length of the ring. Moriarty was treated like a total jobber. The 3-person tag was a good comedy spot for a jobber tag team in a handicap match, not for this match. Would like to see more Comoroto, and less of the rest of the Factory.

Thunder Rosa kicked the shit out of Meyers, definitely was frustrated with her being out of place every time. Just a weird match because of the awful opponents.

Penta-Serpentico was surprisingly competitive, I could go with 3/4 of a Worldwide point. I guess I don’t see much from Penta.

• Like 3

And of course right after posting the above I watch last week’s Dark and holy hell that Penta-Yuta match was a miracle! Possibly the best Dark match I’ve seen and maybe the best AEW match from last week.

• Like 1

Man, that was a good episode of Dark.  Joey Janella and Lee Moriarty was the best WCW Saturday Night main event in the entire history of 1996.  I love Matt Sydel and Dante Martin as a tag team and I loved that match against Bear Country.  Mazzeratti and Keira Hogan was good.  Marina Shafir is assumimg the spot that Ryo Mizunami held on the YouTube shows and Reka Tehaka looked great in that match.  YAY!  AEW RULES!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Giving props to Kidd Bandit.  For someone with only 70 matches, they seemed to have a solid grasp of psychology from what I saw.  After getting tagged back it after getting beat up, they weren't so anime, but managed to show spunkiness in spite of it. 

I suspect they'll be signed this year either be AEW or NJPW (know they did a tryout camp for LA Dojo recently)

Edited by alstein
  • Like 4

I think Bear Boulder might actually be my favourite current professional wrestler (after  MiSu, Ishii, Lulu Pencil,  and the wrestlers I've hung out or been drinking with). I am probably the high voter on Manabu Nakanishi around these parts and that's in huge part because of how Yajin would occasionally come up with an impressively creative way to use his otherworldly strength and power in a match. Boulder does that CONSTANTLY. That double powerslam was crazy. 

I loved the crowd on today's Dark. The "Do a flip!" and " Holy $#@t! " chants were great and everyone yelling "YOU!" after Janela taunted the crowd with "Who sucks now?" was priceless.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3