Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2022 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD


Recommended Posts

I have told myself that 2022 will be the year I will finally finish all the games I started way back when. So then I tried to think of what they were.

I would say the priority ones are

Horizon Zero Dawn

Breath of the Wild

Hades (this is technically just finishing the epilogue which I think I am just at the mercy of RNG right now)

Then behind them are

Lego Avengers

Marvel Avengers (campaign only obviously)

And the pie in the sky, truly ambitious one is Skyrim

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have about 50 hours logged in Octopath Traveler and I am committed to playing all the way to the end.  After that, I'll play Mad Max for shits and grins and then go back to finish Guardians of the Galaxy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got Stellaris. I have little idea what the fuck I'm doing. The tutorial mode doesn't really tell me allllllllllllll the shit, so I'm wandering around blind through space with my Bird Cult Civilization.

Then some fucking asshole says they've let me explore freely long enough and shut down my borders.

this game is fucking ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So fucking happy tonight. My older daughter had her friend over, and there was me, my wife holding our baby, and 4 of my other friends hopped online for me to stream Jackbox through Discord. Having 8 people playing Drawful and Quiplash is a blast, but to do it tonight felt a little special. I'm glad we got the logistics sorted out and all of my friends online could hear all of us together in the room.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m treading water, waiting to pick up Guardians when I have time. I’d get it digitally, but I have Christmas gift cards to spend. 

Still mostly playing The Binding of Isaac. Repentance is a real bastard. The new alt. path stuff is maybe too hard for me. Well…the final bosses, anyway. Even with 10/10 level runs, they’re still a chore to get through.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm taking my second character through FF XIV's Endwalker, trying not to rush this time.

I've got saves in FF V and XII on Steam that I will eventually get back to.

If the money gods are nice, I need to buy a new monitor this year, the one I'm using is almost 10 years old and can't go any higher than 1600x900, and it's starting to show it's age.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positive talk here got me to pick up Immortals, and I'm loving it so far.  It's also probably going to be the closest I'll get to playing BOTW until I eventually get a Switch.  But I like that there's no equipment durability system (I hate those), but it is definitely an Ubisoft game (from the engine)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Really enjoyable experience, though the final boss fight was pretty tough. Well, not the "final" boss fight, but I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone. If you play through it you'll know the difference.

Now I need to find something to do until Wonderlands comes out in March.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Finished Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Really enjoyable experience, though the final boss fight was pretty tough. Well, not the "final" boss fight, but I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone. If you play through it you'll know the difference.

Now I need to find something to do until Wonderlands comes out in March.

One of my favorite parts of the game is that the final boss fight felt like it took 100% mastery of the combat system.  That's how games are supposed to work, except in GOTG you don't actually have to put it all together at once until that fight.  You're almost always using one part of the system or another, but you never really have to switch back and forth as quickly or rely on your team as much as you do in that fight, and it just feels like the culmination of everything you did at that point.  It's a game that doesn't break a single piece of new ground, but it just does all the small stuff right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

One of my favorite parts of the game is that the final boss fight felt like it took 100% mastery of the combat system.  That's how games are supposed to work, except in GOTG you don't actually have to put it all together at once until that fight.  You're almost always using one part of the system or another, but you never really have to switch back and forth as quickly or rely on your team as much as you do in that fight, and it just feels like the culmination of everything you did at that point.  It's a game that doesn't break a single piece of new ground, but it just does all the small stuff right.

It really did. And there's a lot of patience involved. You're not going to blitz the end guy in five minutes or anything. You also have to be able to know where you're going and why rather than just sort of flipping all over the place and hoping for the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally got GamePass (for PC) - there is currently a "1 € per months for the first three months" offer. What I played the first couple of days

- Day of the Tentacle (remaster): a mix of nostalgia, to see how this game looks in the remastered version and if I still know what to do (I do, but some stuff took a bit going back and forth before I remembered a thing or two)

- Ori and the Blind Forest: So far I played an hour or two. The game looks and sounds stunning, the gameplay itself, I am not yet 100% sold on.

- FIFA 2021: Mostly to see how football games nowadays look and play as I don' think I have played one since the PS2 era (PES). The game mechanics seem mostly unchanged for the last 20 (or whatever) years. I mean there are some nice goal celebration animations and I suppose the analog stick response is a bit better then it was a couple of generations ago, but apart from that, not much has changed.

- Yes, Your Grace: The game looked interesting, but sadly, it seems to have the depth of a C64 game. Three numbers to manage (gold, supplies and soldiers) and no storyline branching or random events at all.

- Octopath Traveler: I forgot how much I used to love the 2D JRPGs. The design and the big cast of characters remind me of FF VI. I am only 2.5 hours in, so way too early to say more on this.

- Crusader Kings III: So far, I could not get this game to start (and judging by Google results, I am by far not the only one with this problem). The suggestions by Paradox are almost comical (switch off your anti-virus software, manually add firewall exceptions, change the file permissions of the exe in some advanced file properties dialog) and don't help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Robert s said:

- Octopath Traveler: I forgot how much I used to love the 2D JRPGs. The design and the big cast of characters remind me of FF VI. I am only 2.5 hours in, so way too early to say more on this.

I'm about 60 hours in and am enjoying it so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bang on about Yes, Your Grace. Amazing concept but the execution doesn't really deliver on the promise.

Paradox are such an absolute trash fire of a studio. I'm so conflicted they went in on Prison Architect because that game is amazing and I'm thrilled for the two guys that made it happen, but sad they wound up under the Fist of a Thousand DLC umbrella.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got my 241st Platinum trophy just now with Dead Rising 2 on PS4. I started on the game in 2017 (!) but had a really bad co-op partner who got his Platinum and wouldn't answer my messages when the co-op trophy didn't pop for me. I played it again on co-op this past week with a better player and we both got the co-op trophies. I went back during the week cleaning up the trophy list (including the past two days working on 72,000 kills trophy that I had to start over because I ran out of time).

I may do the PS3 version at some point since I have a few of the trophies unlocked.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completed Act III for my Apothecary dude.  The Miguel Two-Spears boss fight can eat a big bag of shit.

Edited by J.T.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2022 at 1:48 PM, JLSigman said:

I'm taking my second character through FF XIV's Endwalker, trying not to rush this time.

I've got saves in FF V and XII on Steam that I will eventually get back to.

If the money gods are nice, I need to buy a new monitor this year, the one I'm using is almost 10 years old and can't go any higher than 1600x900, and it's starting to show it's age.

Here's hoping for you, @JLSigman xxx.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Paradox are such an absolute trash fire of a studio. I'm so conflicted they went in on Prison Architect because that game is amazing and I'm thrilled for the two guys that made it happen, but sad they wound up under the Fist of a Thousand DLC umbrella.

Paradox business model is so weird (weird as in "how can this work?"): I think if you want to buy EU IV with all gameplay-DLC, you have to pay something like € 300. If I see prizes like that, I am thinking that there is some scam going on (though probably a comparison with drug dealing is more fitting).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally they love to put their base games on heavy, heavy discount, and have DLC sales regularly, but there's absolutely a group of hardcore players buying everything at full price. Like D&D players who buy the hardcover book of every new expansion is the only comparable market I can think of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had to step away from Octopath Traveler for the day.  I am beginning to hate the bosses that can damage the entire party as well as add status effects. 

The Venomtooth Tiger boss for Tressa's Act III can eat a bag of goat dicks.

I may end of flushing this playthrough and starting over after I play Mad Max.   I keep forgetting to look for the subclass shrines, so I don't think I am min/maxing as efficiently as I could.

Edited by J.T.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Generally they love to put their base games on heavy, heavy discount, and have DLC sales regularly, but there's absolutely a group of hardcore players buying everything at full price. Like D&D players who buy the hardcover book of every new expansion is the only comparable market I can think of.

You forgot Warhammer 40k and Magic: the Gathering. Somehow, someway, in a pandemic year where there were hardly any in store tournaments because of lockdowns, Wizards and Hasbro still made a huge profit off the back of Magic.

I suppose I played my part by staying addicted to Magic by way of Magic Arena even though Standard has sucked for almost three years now, the Arena economy is shit, and the recently released Alchemy is a big ol' middle finger to their fanbase.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pedestrian was released for Xbox & PC yesterday.  It was originally released early last year as a PlayStation exclusive.  I thought 2021 was a great year for indies and this was one of my favorites.  Hoping more people give it a try on Xbox.  It is also available on Game Pass.  

 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2022 at 10:28 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I think I will play a few N64 games while waiting for Kirby, Horizon, etc., to come out this year. Maybe some Paper Mario, some OoT, etc. 

Try Blast Corps if you haven't played it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...