DVDVR Message Board

AEW - January 2022

MoeCristyV.1.6

Ethan Page:

“I just despise him as a human being … I just think he’s very unprofessional and childish, and he gets irritated very quickly and he doesn’t know how to handle his emotions. It’s just not a very professional work environment. I didn’t really enjoy working with him, especially on the tail end.”

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ethan-page-issues-gabe-sapolsky-evolve-very-unprofessional-childish/

Darby Allin:

“Tell EVOLVE to go fuck itself.”

https://www.tpww.net/2019/11/darby-allin-on-why-he-joined-aew-instead-of-wwe-tells-evolve-to-go-f-itself/

• Like 1

Gabe has been a dirtbag piece of shit for years who hasn't had a decent creative idea for even longer than that. Maybe he gets hired by MLW or something, but that's probably his ceiling now.

Gabe was a great booker of the indytastic spotfest style we have come to know and love, but he is a horrible businessman.

And what EVA said.  Gabe would have immediate heat with Ethan Page and the young guys from EVOLVE.   TK already has morale issues with this dumb Big Swole shit.  The last thing he needs is to bring in Sapolsky and squander more good will.

Let the fantasy booking extravaganza begin... again!

We could really need another manchild with access to unlimited money by now.

Also, the lights out gimmick associated with Malakai Black at the moment without people debuting is pretty ballsy considering all the possible people the fanbase could expect to pop out of the darkness. Some kind of recipe for dissapoinment.

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

AEW already is packed full of dudes who are good to great on the mic. Having Joe would probably be the all time best company in terms of mic work. Sadly, Joe looks about 100 lbs. too heavy and seems to be injury prone. 

Just now, Craig H said:

AEW already is packed full of dudes who are good to great on the mic. Having Joe would probably be the all time best company in terms of mic work. Sadly, Joe looks about 100 lbs. too heavy and seems to be injury prone. 

Which is perfectly fine.

AEW is built so heavily around stables that Joe could easily come in and do the talking for a small crew. He would wrestle 3-4 times at most - 

Punk
Danielson
HOOK

Then hide him in a few multi-man stable tags and you are set.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I stand by my accertion that one of these streaming services need to do what Lucha Underground did build a set in a warehouse or soundstage and tape some one hour episodes. Doesn't need to be a full on touring promotion.

YES!

Give me the Netflix Wrestling World Cup or something.

9 x 1 hour episodes that culminate in a 2 hour finale show with 3 title/trophy matches - Men's and Women's world champion and Tag Team Champions - plus a couple of 'grudge' matches built up through the season

Might get away with 2 seasons a year to keep it fresh.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

Also, the lights out gimmick associated with Malakai Black at the moment without people debuting is pretty ballsy considering all the possible people the fanbase could expect to pop out of the darkness. Some kind of recipe for dissapoinment.

I’m so disappointed that gimmick is now just Black’s. Lights out should’ve always been exclusive to debuts.

44 minutes ago, MrKothoga said:

We could really need another manchild with access to unlimited money by now.

Didn't Freddie PRinze Jr say he and Macauley Culkin were going to start a promotion together soon?

• Like 2

I am pretty neutral on Gabe overall.  I probably made that post about Gabe before I even finished the article. l ran all the way here to ask about his relevance and attitude in 2022.  He did have a quick temper years ago when I was picking up every ROH show from 2007-2011. 2008 was his last year in ROH but I started watching DGUSA (first ten shows) and Evolve (vol.1-5 + all 2015) so I did see how his wrestling tastes have changed since early ROH.  

2014-2016 were such strong Indy years. Then WWE became so evil that they permanently damaged both the US and UK Indy scenes.  Evolve had already been plucked by WWE and eventually Gabe just threw the baby out with bath water.  Evolve gets sold to WWE and Gabe takes some job that is easier than booking Indy wrestling shows.

How in blue hell did Evolve/DGUSA have service that was nothing at all like ROH’s prompt delivery and customer service?  Didn’t Gabe’s new boss employ a lot of the same people who also previously worked with Gabe in ROH. He now had a smaller and less popular product to sell.  If the 2015-2016 Evolve didn’t have a who’s who of the very best non-ROH Indy talent I would have complained louder online about just the slowest service and delivery for wrestling DVDs until AEW was formed.  ROH would be a week at most to ship and another few days to deliver.  Evolve was usually a month or more while AEW was over two months the first time and a minimum month for all foreign orders to be FILLED, shipping took even longer. Thankfully they were much faster this year.  

The sting of lazy ass service is mellowed by the quality of PPVs being so consistent ly high…excluding All Out 2020 of course.

Now that Samoa Joe is  finally available AEW doesn’t need him.  Biff Busick would be a quality signing.  Cameron Grimes’ future is apparently to the moooon in NXT.  Trevor Lee as a normal sized person in AEW would always be in title contention in AEW.  His career ceiling in NXT likely doesn’t even clear his head.  It is just that low.  Has anyone seen Lee’s former partner Andrew Everett in recent months/years.  He is one of the few talents who miraculously wasn’t scooped up in AEW’s scorched earth campaign against against good Indy groups.  

Finally watched this week’s Elevation and it was a very enjoyable 45 or so minutes. Lethal-Hollywood was the highlight but all the matches were fun and had moments.
All of the women competitors were solid and both Rossi and Risk are really excellent JTTDarkStars heels. Skye “she spells her name wrong” Blue needs to chill with the incredibly obvious thigh slaps.

There really needs to be a tag team tournament, and Silver and Reynolds need to be in it for a couple of rounds. The big guy in that match, Mike Orlando, showed some potential too, was easily as good as Luchasaurus.

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude, you joke, but I'd be way into a couple of Big Dave one-offs. Just keep them short like that Goldberg/Brock WM match a few years ago.

I would be down for a bull fight hoss division with a 5 or 10 minute time limit. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m so disappointed that gimmick is now just Black’s. Lights out should’ve always been exclusive to debuts.

AEW's use of the 'lights out' has been dodgy since the beginning.  It started with the Dark Order debut.  Clearly, or at least we/they learned, an ineffective way to debut two unknowns.  AEW does a lot of things very well, but 'lights out' has not been one of them.  I've enjoyed Black's use of it - save for the past couple weeks and the needless 'magic'.  His debut was, unless I'm forgetting, the best use of 'lights out' - only slightly ruined by Excalibur's awful 'Wait, that's not Tommy End' over-sharing call.  Everyone makes mistakes.  

What's the all time best lights out moment?  The ones that come to mind for me are 'Taz-Sabu finally squaring off' at the November to Remember 96 (is that right?) or the nuclear explosion that was Jerry Lawler debuting at the ECW Arena.  The lesser stakes Cornette ECW debut was pretty rad too.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude, you joke, but I'd be way into a couple of Big Dave one-offs. Just keep them short like that Goldberg/Brock WM match a few years ago.

I still want a John Huber Bigg Rigg Invitation tournement of all hosses

• Like 4

An interesting little note from the new WON

Marko Stunt hasn’t been on the show for a while. It was even more notable when Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy won the tag titles and he wasn’t brought in. He is still under contract and being paid and AEW is trying to be different from WWE is not releasing people who are under contract unless it’s for disciplinary reasons. But there will be people not renewed when their deals come up if they aren’t being used. This isn’t to say he’s one of them, but his never being used while his group just won the titles says something

I would have to assume that anyone who asks for their release will be granted it

• Like 2