DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

3 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

My NXT would pretty much be my shoot name.  Suppose I could be Jim Quick.

My AEW name is Hook Page

My AEW name is Brian Jackson. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Nick Aldis was a Gladiator in the UK version before he became a full time wrestler.  I just double checked and his Gladiator name was “Oblivion”.

Damn, pipped to the post by 4 minutes. I remember watching the reboot with Ian Wright (swap in another loud black footballer, it’ll work right?) with the same old Scottish ref shouting ‘contenders READY!’ looking to capitalise on the nostalgia factor.

A bit like World of Sport really. And about as commercially successful.

Edit to add: I buried the lede somewhat, as the real gladiator turned wrestling super star of that series was one MASON RYAN. Can’t forget the Welsh Goliath.

Edited by Custos

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm sure someone came up with a "Create your NXT name" formula somewhere. Like the first name is your Maternal Grandfather's first name, and the last name is "Think of an adjective you aspire to be like, then look in a thesaurus for a synonym for it, and pick the final result".

You create your AEW name by taking the first name of a random AEW wrestler, and then add the surname of another different AEW Wrestler.

This reads like one of those Facebook posts designed to steal your password information: "Your NXT name is your first car with your mother's maiden name and your billed weight is the last four digits on the back of your credit card".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If that's how people thought up security crap it would be more complicated than the dumb security questions that exist. I've never been asked for my grandfather's first name in anything.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching the Superstar Graham documentary on the WWE Network, and I decided that Kung Fu Billy Graham was basically Superstar Graham deciding to look like G. Gordon Liddy for a few years

G.-Gordon-Liddy.jpg?w=2281c00fa65c2c3d9ce3acaf78f205ad093.jpg

you can decide for yourself if Kung Fu Billy Graham should have hired "plumbers" to break into Bob Backlund's hotel room to steal the WWF title belt. Would Ernie Roth be the E. Howard Hunt or the Richard Nixon here? (if you consider what Nixon said on the tapes, that comparison would be a bit hilarious)

Anyways.. the Superstar is in the hospital. But considering he has made it 10 years after being years from death due to liver problems, if anything gets him, it's gonna involve getting caught in an Arizona Haboob or being attacked by a snake or tarantula, daddy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

speaking of a place name in the general area of Wales... The Isle of Man seems like it could have been a solid worked wrestler residence.

But then again, I would push for the concept of a wrestler billed out of Bermuda who would use the Bermuda Triangle as a finish.

Doesn't JBL live in Bermuda?

speaking of a place name in the general area of Wales... The Isle of Man seems like it could have been a solid worked wrestler residence.

Men of The Year?

And it's pretty much famous for having the world's deadliest (or most dangerous?) motor race, and for being the birthplace of the Bee Gees, and that's about it.

The UK has some good ones. Someone should bill their next pushed seven-footer as from The Giant's Causeway.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

After a comedy binge I'm convinced that Vince should saddle two poor bastards with Alabaster Codifier and Jackmerius Tacktheritrix.

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Steven Regal should have been billed from The Isle of Man during his run as The Real Man's Man.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Steven Regal should have been billed from The Isle of Man during his run as The Real Man's Man.

Vince Russo would have heard Isle of Man as "I love Man" and put him in a Village People gimmick.

• Haha 1