DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I mean all they care about is subscribers. If the subscribers that are paying for that service are all tuning into that programming, then it means it’s worth having that content on their streaming service.

At some point, subscribers need to actually be watching your product or else they'll be former subscribers at some point down the road.  For the moment, yeah, Peacock is mostly interested in how many subscribers WWE is estimated to be bringing in.  But at some point, they're going to have to sit down and figure out how heavily they want to promote WWE programming, how much they want to spend when it comes time to renew the contract, etc.  Then, Peacock most likely will care how many people are actually watching WWE programming, how many WWE fans keep renewing their Peacock subscriptions, etc.  Just glancing at the number of subscribers you have right this minute and calling it a day is a pretty simplistic way to at things.

Then again, networks are starved for weekly live programming, so maybe Peacock won't care much. I mostly think that explains the exorbitant jumps in rights fees over the past few years despite declining ratings.

19 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Then again, networks are starved for weekly live programming, so maybe Peacock won't care much. I mostly think that explains the exorbitant jumps in rights fees over the past few years despite declining ratings.

I think this is a fair assessment when it comes to network broadcast/cable tv. But when it comes to Peacock, I'm not sure that applies. WWE is just a bit part of giant conglomeration of programming. Peacock has 54 million subscribers, how many are there specifically because of WWE? I don't have the service, but I do have Netflix and I can't think of one single thing they could drop that would make me unsubscribe.

15 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I think this is a fair assessment when it comes to network broadcast/cable tv. But when it comes to Peacock, I'm not sure that applies. WWE is just a bit part of giant conglomeration of programming. Peacock has 54 million subscribers, how many are there specifically because of WWE? I don't have the service, but I do have Netflix and I can't think of one single thing they could drop that would make me unsubscribe.

Right?  If Peacock starts emulating Netflix's "2 or 3 seasons and done" model, WWE is in trouble.

More WWE news:

WWE and Peacock announced the new series titled WWE Evil back in may to be Executive Produced by John Cena, Cena will also narrate the project. It's about heels and the stuff they do.

Randy Orton, Bayley, Paul Heyman, Dave Bautista, Hulk Hogan, The Usos, Mick Foley, done interviews for the project. The Undertaker and The Godfather are being interviewed this week.

WWE is reportedly shopping new documentaries to other streaming services or broadcast networks.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is very random, but has anyone else here gotten a Twitter DM from Konnan? My phone went off at 2:30 this morning, and it's fucking K-Dawg asking "Do u listen to my podcast"

Did you mention him in a Twitter post or like a post from someone else that tagged his account? That happened to me recently after I posted about a Between The Sheets episode that was going over WWF House Show results from 1992 and it got revealed that Konnan wrestled frigging Pete Doherty at one of the Cape Cod Melody Tent house shows.

I got the same exact "do you listen to my podcast?" DM within the next 24 hours, I wouldn't be surprised if his social media managers just vanity-search and send those to anyone that tags him in a post.

• Haha 1