DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

My grandfather, one of the savviest people I’ve ever met, book smart and street smart, looked at me slack jawed and asked, “The Village People were supposed to be gay?” 

I don't think they were? They certainly came across that way, but they weren't supposed to be, were they?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't think they were? They certainly came across that way, but they weren't supposed to be, were they?

Some of the actual performers may not have been, but it was definitely an in-joke by out songwriters and producers. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

My grandfather, one of the savviest people I’ve ever met, book smart and street smart, looked at me slack jawed and asked, “The Village People were supposed to be gay?” 

Just remembered the surprise from some people in one of my High School classes when they heard that Elton John was gay. This was in 2003/04ish, about a decade after he came out.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

My favorite thing is whenever people go "they can't be gay, they're married to [person of a differing gender]!"

As though sexuality isn't a part of a spectrum for most folks and we haven't felt societal pressure to conform to heteronormativity standards, and really the concepts of "gay" or "straight" will likely be outmoded in a couple of decades as Gen Z is increasingly some flavor of bi/pansexual (which is somehow trans women's faults).

Trust me. I have a Pete Burns avatar. I know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

The Village People always remind me of one of my favorite stories about my grandfather: He was mostly a 40s/50s standards fan, but he had mix cassette tapes from the 70s he’d groove out to in his car that had a ton of Village People and stuff like CW McCall’s Convoy and the disco version of the Star Wars theme. One day he tells me he was just reading on the TV guide channel about the movie Can’t Stop the Music, which was described in the guide as, “A campy musical starring the suggestively gay disco group The Village People.” My grandfather, one of the savviest people I’ve ever met, book smart and street smart, looked at me slack jawed and asked, “The Village People were supposed to be gay?” 

My grandmother, bless her heart, told me it was a shame that Liberace never found a nice woman to settle down with in, like, 2002.

I did not have the heart to correct her.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

My grandmother, bless her heart, told me it was a shame that Liberace never found a nice woman to settle down with in, like, 2002.

I did not have the heart to correct her.

Hey, if Freddie Mercury and Elton John both found a nice women to settle down with for a little bit (obviously those relationships didn't last, but they happened and the reason they did, could have been an attempt to settle down in another sense [i.e. less drugs, booze]), it is theoretically possible Liberace could have given it a go as well. But maybe he wasn't the type to settle down with or for any one person, male, female or other?

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Hey, if Freddie Mercury and Elton John both found a nice women to settle down with for a little bit (obviously those relationships didn't last, but they happened and the reason they did, could have been an attempt to settle down in another sense [i.e. less drugs, booze]), it is theoretically possible Liberace could have given it a go as well. But maybe he wasn't the type to settle down with or for any one person, male, female or other?

Freddie Mercury was bisexual, but because he died of AIDS-related complications and had sex with men the "not so woke" mainstream of the time just went yep he's gay.

• Like 1

St. Louis will host WWE’s Royal Rumble on January 29, 2022. At the Dome at America’s Center, so around 40,000-plus fans. There will be both Women's and Men's Rumbles again.

Edited by D.Z

58 minutes ago, D.Z said:

St. Louis will host WWE’s Royal Rumble on January 29, 2022. At the Dome at America’s Center, so around 40,000-plus fans. There will be both Women's and Men's Rumbles again.

This place has had a lot of dumb names but Dome at America's Center is the dumbest

Also interesting that the WWE is promoting it as the "largest venue to host a Royal Rumble" yet only selling roughly 40K in tickets

They’ve held the Rumble twice at the Alamodome, so I wonder what their configuration was for them. 

Edit: the Alamodome website says the capacity for wrestling is 52k up to 60k. 

Edited by odessasteps

I think they have adjusted what amount of seats to set up with Raw's attendance decline for their PPV's in USA.

In other PPV news, UK reportedly will be getting their own big WWE PPV, to celebrate Summerslam 92. Aiming for 90,000 seater stadium in September 2022. 

At some point WWE will probably do another Australia PPV as well. I am thinking someday they want more of their PPV's international.

Saudia gets October maybe.

Edited by D.Z

Too bad Khan didn’t actually buy Wembley, so we missed the chance for the WWE to negotiate with him to run there for the Summerslam anniversary. 

I wonder if they would settle for running Not White Hart Lans if they can’t run Wembley. 

If I was a wrestler, I'd want my gimmick name to be "Fryin' Brien Gage.  My gimmick is I hate hot weather.

I'd lobby management to feud me with Adam Page and Brian Cage.  At the PPV, I'd win a three-way with both guys after my on-screen wife, Paige Gage, came down to ringside to interfere.  I'd also yell at people who pronounced my name "Brian" or "Bryan.".  It's 'Brien", peasants, completely different,  Keep in straight!

Basically. I'd just be trying to see how long it took JR to become a blubbering mess trying to keep this all straight.  I'm guessing three or four weeks.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Should have just called Steiners kid Beef Cakker

An AEW star teamed up with a Ring of Honor wrestler to win the tag titles of a high-profile independent promotion, which were vacant because the previous champions signed with WWE.

2021, everybody!

The indie is Southern California’s influential Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. The new champs crowned at Threemendous VI in Los Angeles last night (Sept. 26) are AEW’s Malakai Black & ROH’s Brody King. The duo teamed up when Black made a surprise appearance at Mystery Vortex 7, PWG’s return last month. Their match at the Globe Theatre was set-up by the closing angle of that August show, when Black made a surprise appearance to help King & PWG champ Bandido deal with Black Taurus, Flamita & Super Dragon.

On Sunday night, Black & King defeated Black Taurus & Demonic Flamita. Before the match started, it was announced the winners would be awarded the belts vacated when The Rascalz’s Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz joined NXT to become MSK’s Wes Lee & Nash Carter. It’s been almost three-and-a-half years since The Rascalz won the PWG Tag titles - and they’ve won the NXT Tag Team championship since then - so it was about time they crowned new champs.

Whatever else you may think of those new champs, they do have a killer team name...

In other news Malakia Black and Brody King are new PWG champs