DVDVR Message Board

September 2021 Wrestling Discussion

The Natural

BTW - I wasn't paying attention yesterday so I didn't realize it but running the Royal Rumble on Jan 29 means it is officially on Saturday

This avoids the NFL playoff games and they don't delay a week and do it in Feb

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Did Eddie Kingston take down his Twitter? Last couple times I looked at it all his posts were gone. 

I believe he said he took it down to prepare mentally for the Arthur Ashe show but he did it soon after daring to say Mike Quackenbush always paid him when people were shitting on Quack in a Twitter thread so he probably got a bunch of harassment from idiots.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:27 PM, (BP) said:

The Village People always remind me of one of my favorite stories about my grandfather: He was mostly a 40s/50s standards fan, but he had mix cassette tapes from the 70s he’d groove out to in his car that had a ton of Village People and stuff like CW McCall’s Convoy and the disco version of the Star Wars theme. One day he tells me he was just reading on the TV guide channel about the movie Can’t Stop the Music, which was described in the guide as, “A campy musical starring the suggestively gay disco group The Village People.” My grandfather, one of the savviest people I’ve ever met, book smart and street smart, looked at me slack jawed and asked, “The Village People were supposed to be gay?” 

That's why I always laugh about the iconography you always see in pickup truck commercials in the US.  Who do we see when Ford, Dodge, etc want to promote their SO FUCKING MANLY truxxxxx?  Soldiers, construction workers, cowboys.  ?

On 9/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, RIPPA said:

This place has had a lot of dumb names but Dome at America's Center is the dumbest

Wasn't that a Stephen King book?

On 9/28/2021 at 7:44 AM, RIPPA said:

BTW - I wasn't paying attention yesterday so I didn't realize it but running the Royal Rumble on Jan 29 means it is officially on Saturday

This avoids the NFL playoff games and they don't delay a week and do it in Feb

the two things keeping wrestling PPVs on Sunday nights would be (1) tradition, (2) there was more house show business on Saturday Nights than Sunday Nights, and (3) Raw is on Monday..

But considering house shows/untelevised events are a bit less important now than ever before, and the WWE can just schedule events whenever and not worry about stepping on Boxing PPVs, is it possible that there's gonna be semi-regular PPVs on Saturday Nights from now on?

Also, would it really mean much, one way or another, to have the shows on Saturdays instead of Sundays?

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Only watched this video for the first time a week ago. More people will see this here. CM Punk is spot on. Very NSFW.

Who is "Top Wrestling Shoots" and why do they have the unmitigated balls to literally steal audio from Colt's podcast?  I'm positive this is where it's from as I just listened to it like two weeks ago.  Fuuuuuck the Internet is a shitty place.

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Who is "Top Wrestling Shoots" and why do they have the unmitigated balls to literally steal audio from Colt's podcast?  I'm positive this is where it's from as I just listened to it like two weeks ago.  Fuuuuuck the Internet is a shitty place.

Ah, had no idea as I very rarely listen to podcasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also, would it really mean much, one way or another, to have the shows on Saturdays instead of Sundays?

For a U.S. based fan, who watches live, I think it's a huge difference personally. I'm not sure if it's because of the automatic fight comparison, but Saturdays made Takeovers special, its what makes most AEW shows special (I hope they never do a non-holiday weekend Sunday). By 8 PM Sunday night, I am already well into licking my wounds from the NFL day, and dreading the absolute nightmare that is the work week ahead. 8 PM Saturday is still positive vibes all around. And it makes the show better in that way: I'm probably way more forgiving about a shitty finish or some bad creative on a Saturday. Everyone's different, naturally, but that's my experience.

• Like 6

I wonder what demographics say about the presume target audience for PPVs going out on a Saturday night vs Su day night for potential viewers. Obviously, lockdown and such have altered those demos for the last 2 years. I’d think the big boxing shows once or twice a year are not a deterrent the way a monthly Ppv (and multiple shows during the 90s) would.

• Like 1