DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

WCW had the biggest star in wrestling history on their roster and he was getting a big push (and showing some of his star launching character). Then they signed Hulk Hogan and put his U.S. title on fucking Jim Duggan (and I love Mid South Jim Duggan, but he was basically washed up by then). Then they fired him by Fed Ex and let him eventually beat their ass and help put their company out of business. If WCW never signs Hogan. Stone Cold Steve Austin could have been the major star for WCW and the company may still be in business today.

• Like 1

WCW had the biggest star in wrestling history on their roster and he was getting a big push (and showing some of his star launching character). Then they signed Hulk Hogan and put his U.S. title on fucking Jim Duggan (and I love Mid South Jim Duggan, but he was basically washed up by then). Then they fired him by Fed Ex and let him eventually beat their ass and help put their company out of business. If WCW never signs Hogan. Stone Cold Steve Austin could have been the major star for WCW and the company may still be in business today.

That's some major hindsight there. The only way WCW doesn't sign Hogan is if Hogan never leaves WWE. WCW would only still be in business if there's no AOL/Time Warner merger
  • Like 1

I think I probably have some different tastes than everyone else on here. I've spent a lot of time going down Sabu spotfests in ECW. I think Sabu is legitimately my favorite wrestler of all-time. I doubt anyone else will think this on here because his stuff takes so long to set up and can look ridiculous but I don't care. His stuff that's so crazy to set up is usually completely insane and he pretty much would die. I also am a total mark for old RVD in ECW stuff. I still also love all the Amazing Red/SAT spot fest stuff from back in the day. I also loved the entire Nexus angle from start-to-finish and am seemingly one of three people left who things The Authority story rules.I like a lot of stuff that no one else likes anymore but whatever -- as long as you can say why you like things in a somewhat decent matter, everyone is fine with it. We're all Mark Henry marks here but if you can say why you're not into him other than "he's boring" then we'll be cool with it. Probably. I mean, it's Mark Henry we're talking about. Dude rules. Come on, son.

Gregg,You back your shit up more than anyone else on the board. You go on and on about it. We can't get you to shut up. That you have esoteric views is fine because you make an effort in understanding and presenting at all turns. But god can you type essays about everything.
If you make him stop, we are enemies for life.
  • Like 1

One of my absolute favorite things about Mark Henry is that he never gets in over his head or backs himself into a corner during his matches. What I mean is you'll never have to put up with a match where he gets his leg kicked in for a match, but then still has to get all his stuff in before they go home. I feel comfortable investing in a Mark Henry match no matter the length, as he always thinks of cool ways out of things and tailors the match to his own and his opponents strengths. He's like the Breaking Bad of awesome gigantic black asskickers.

I think in 1994 it was pretty clear Austin had star potential.

Anyone who claims they knew he was destined to become STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN, BAH GAWD is lying through their fucking teeth, though.

I don't think there is anyway that WCW ever turns Steve Austin into Stone Cold, at least not WWF Stone Cold. Stone Cold had a perfect foil in Vince and there is no way WCW is able to provide him with that. Austin may become a middle of the road star or main event level wrestler for WCW but he almost assuredly never becomes the Stone Cold we all saw.

Austin was building more towards being the "next Ric Flair" than what he became, and even then, that's probably optimistic.

If you watch 92-94 WCW, though, you can clearly see they are laying the foundation for a company to be built around Dustin and Austin in the near future.  Then Hogan shows up, and that just all goes away, quite quickly for Austin, somewhat slower for Rhodes. 

• Like 2

I feel like after Fall Brawl with Dustin headlining War Games did well, Hogan was out to get him. I have no clue why Hogan would not work with Austin. The Hogan of 86 would have had a series with Austin around the circuit and kept him around as a utility player. I thought the same thing about Regal, that he would get a run with Hogan on TV. 

I think in 1994 it was pretty clear Austin had star potential.

Anyone who claims they knew he was destined to become STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN, BAH GAWD is lying through their fucking teeth, though.

Stunning Steve Austin was one of my absolute favorite wrestlers back then. The series with Steamboat is just so awesome to watch. It's a real shame they didn't get that blow off match at Halloween Havoc when Steamboat's back went fubar.

Lets assume Austin never got fired and stayed with WCW. At the very least he never has the match with Owen and it adds a few more years to his career. I think he would have ultimatley gone to the WWF back then, but we never would have gotten Stone Cold. Stone Cold was only the result of him being screwed over by Uncle Eric. No Fed Ex pink slip = No reason for him to be pissed.

Now as for Dustin, he should have been WCW World Champion. Hogan screwed that over when he showed up. Man if Dustin managed to stay in WCW and they turned him heel, I bet Hogan/Dustin would have been a fun feud. "Mah Daddy built this company and you stole mah legacy you orange jerk". Ahhh what could have been.

To go back a few pages and chime in about Mark Henry, his strongest trait as a wrestler is that everything feels really organic. You can tell in his matches that everything he does is natural and logical. He is basically the opposite of the group of wrestlers that think of really contrived spots or feel the need to 'get all their shit in'. Like, I remember the first time I saw a Kota Ibushi match, and it was incredibly cool. Then I saw a second Kota Ibushi match, and the only differences were the moves his opponent did. Every time I see a Henry match, I know the general outline will be the same, but the crowd and many other factors will influence the basic format. It's funny that some in this thread have said they dislike Henry but like work from the mid eighties, because I think Henry works very similarly to that time period, compared to basically everyone else on the roster at this point.

Also, the argument that Henry isn't good because he only has good matches with other good wrestlers is basically the same argument people used against Cena in 06/07. Eventually, the quantity and the overall body if work speaks for itself.

If Austin stays in WCW and there is no Hogan, who is his Vince or Rocky? As great as Austin was once he found his voice as Stone Cold, he still needed a bunch of people to walk through. He probably had a Flair feud in him that would have been great. He and Sting could have done some magic. But does he have the long line of foils that he had w/ McMahon constantly running people at him? 

The WWE retook the ratings lead when everyone thought Vince was going to fight Austin that one night. That was the birth of the Mr. McMahon character. I think there's a good argument to be made that the Mr. McMahon character is what made the promotion. He was probably the greatest heel of all-time during that run. He was insanely good at being the evil capitalist overlord (since that's what he was, essentially). But Austin doesn't become Austin unless McMahon happens. And, also, I don't know if The Rock becomes what he became without Vince, too. Rocky coming out in his $500 shiny shirt after having the title gifted to him at that Survivor Series was pretty much the ultimate breakout of a character ever. It let him really find the character and became a movie star.

I would rather watch 2013 Hogan than 2013 Rock any day of the week. At least motivated, you can see a shadow of what Hulk was. 

Hate myself for being imperious about someone's body but it's the Hulkster and this how I feel - he really has ruined his look with those stupid tattoos. Constant reminder of his shitshow personal life ruins the nostalgia groove for me. And I'm a fn nostalgiaholic.

• Like 1

Speaking of bad worker Hogan and guilty pleasures and all that, I God damn love the Hogan vs Goldberg match where Goldberg takes the title..  It's the match that Hogan vs Sting should have been and the way zero-remaining-athleticism Hogan carried Goldberg through twenty minutes and kept it riviting the whole time is a testament to how, when he wants to be, he is terrific performer.

Come on lets let the AOL merger horse shit die. 

But, if we let it go then what the hell am I supposed to do with all of these?

Posted Image

Skeet.

DISGUSTING.  No way *anyone* loved AOL that much ...