DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Say what you will about the Attitude Era, but the midcard workers like Godfather being so over is one thing I really miss. And with (oftentimes stupid) fleshed out gimmicks. Not just "Hey, I'm Curt Hawkins and I have a cane!".

Say what you will about the Attitude Era, but the midcard workers like Godfather being so over is one thing I really miss. And with (oftentimes stupid) fleshed out gimmicks. Not just "Hey, I'm Curt Hawkins and I have a cane!".

"Hey, I'm the Godfather and I have a cane! And also women I sell!"

• Like 1

The fun mid-card guys are the ones who don't act like they could be athletes who are moving from MMA to professional wrestling.

A guy with a cane is not a gimmick.

A pimp (however tasteless it might be) is a gimmick.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Remember Magic Mike Hawkins and Reks? Hawkins already had his shot at a attitude era tasteless gimmick. He blew it.

Im surprised they just dropped the angle once Reks abruptly left the WWE, Hawkins couldve done the gimmick by himself.

Posted Image

So, watching this Mid-South set from WWE ... found the answer to "worst announcing in the wrestling world" question ... Jim Ross of the 21st century announcing over old Mid-South matches as if he were the Jim Ross of the 80s-90s, which also means attempting to sell the match as if he were announcing it as it happened. He sneaks in "slobberknocker" ... shit's worse than the Joey Styles "flipping people off won't get you very far" overdub on the Pioneer DVD version of Austin/Sandman/Whipreck.

WWE.com just e-mailed me to tell me that there is a signed HHH WM 29 plaque, commemorating his victory over Brock Lesnar, for sale right now.

If this site ever ran a Secret Santa, I know what my recipient would be getting...