DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

You know, for a ten year vet at that point, Nova didn't look all that much better than 2-3 year pro John Cena. He wasn't horrible, but I kind of expected a little more. God I hate it when guys do drop toe holds like that. It looks so lazy and phony.

So, being a Vancouverite and being that the Canucks just retired Pavel Bure's number, I've been looking through old Bure videos and it reminds me of an argument I've had with a friend of mine.  The announcer at about :32 in this video who says, "Now, will that be a penalty shot?" is a New York Rangers legend named John Davidson.  I think he sounds exactly like another legendary announcer, both in voice and attitude, but my friend abjectly disagrees.  I won't mention who, just to see if people organically agree with me.

So, being a Vancouverite and being that the Canucks just retired Pavel Bure's number, I've been looking through old Bure videos and it reminds me of an argument I've had with a friend of mine. The announcer at about :32 in this video who says, "Now, will that be a penalty shot?" is a New York Rangers legend named John Davidson. I think he sounds exactly like another legendary announcer, both in voice and attitude, but my friend abjectly disagrees. I won't mention who, just to see if people organically agree with me.

I'm not really sure but I'd like to know the answer. Initially, I thought I heard a bit of Gorilla Monsoon. I'm also surprised that it took Vancouver this long to retire Pavel Bure's # 10.

Worst Cena haircut: the Horshu-like specimen above, the spiky look when he wrestled Angle in '02, or the current high-and-tight?

None of the above. It's the Guile haircut that he would wet down instead of spiking up.

Posted Image

I never notice Cena's hair when he wrestles but for some reason it's all I can focus on now when he does a promo. For a guy considered to be the final word in marketability, he often has a weird hair cut (sometimes it looks shaved too high, or like he's going for a wedge or something). Didn't he have a blonde spiky fringe at one point (like Nigel McGuiness had later). That must rank high in the pantheon of terrible wrestling haircuts.

That haircut above wouldn't be too bad if he was working a greaser gimmick. If he'd come along a few years later he would have made a pretty good Deuce.

Edited by Library Dude

Hogan might still be the final word in bad wrestling haircuts. A bald guy with a bleach blonde skullet. However, don't discount the fabulous mullets of Eddie Guerrero and Mike Awesome. I can't recall if we've ever done a poll of fabulously bad wrestling haircuts, but it'd be a fun one.

For some reason Hogan's skullet never seemed weird to me. I just accepted this was okay, but also that only one man could wear it and it was The Immortal One, brother. I think I feel that way about most wrestler fashion choices. Zubaz, for example feels totally acceptable if your job is bodyslamming other men.

• Like 2

Lance Storm's bleach blond rattail doesn't think any of you know what the fuck you're talking about regarding worst haircut in pro wrestling history.

Posted Image

On the other side of the picture, Rob Van Dam is wearing a bathing suit, which freaks me out even more than Storm's hair.

• Like 4

It's not just the voice but how he says things. The line that really showcases it is "Ohhhh get your heart doctor. Get your cardiologist." It's a very Heenan thing to do, to say something then say it again with different words.