DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell

Brian Fowler

Think I'd prefer to see Shawn-Bryan at Mania in theory. In practice, HBK barely hobbling to the ring to cut a promo makes it Foley-esque.

Bryan could get a decent rub out of petitioning Taker to ask for his blessing to let Shawn have one more match at Mania (in lieu of perhaps a Taker match this year also). It'd be a nice spin on the teacher vs. student angle if nothing else. Cameos of Rudy Boy Gonzales, Spanky, London and Zombie Cade for everyone!

Actually that'd be a pretty cool explanation for his heel turn tomorrow night. What did training all these guys do for him other than tarnish his legacy?

London and Kendrick are effectively blackballed from the 'E. Lance Cade died of drug related causes. And now Bryan goes and causes conflict in his friendship with HHH.

It sounds like it took three people to beat Bryan and he is better off than he was before Summerslam. 

No, it took one Sweet Chin Music from an old broken down wrestler, and weeks of bad ratings to take him out. 

It sounds like it took three people to beat Bryan and he is better off than he was before Summerslam. Was anyone really expecting him to beat Orton again? 

Probably the truest words in this thread.

I mean, you guys know this is a work, right?  Bryan holding or not holding the title does not mean he is or isn't the best wrestler in the world.  Plus, WWE is much, MUCH worse at booking face title reigns (See Punk, C.M.) than they are at booking heel title reigns with face chase.  Plus, this allows WWE to spin the story off in two directions: Bryan vs. Triple H and Big Show vs. Orton.  From a mark standpoint, what's a bigger deal? Feuding with Triple H or feuding with World Champion Randy Orton?  It's quite obviously the former.

• Like 5

Really liked Cena/Alberto. When the match got going I was thinking Alberto would retain with the armbar on the injured arm and commentary playing up that Cena wasn't looking the same. Loved Cena busting out a tornado DDT and the flying crossbody as well as the power up out of the armbar spot. Glad Cena's back. Rhodes Brothers continue to be fantastic, hope they get a long reign. Also liked Summer Rae getting her time, she's been excellent in the NXT stuff I've seen of hers.Thought if anything Bryan would get an accidental superkick, that whole ending just came off strange. The Orton/HBK/HHH arguing at ringside was amusing "Do your job Shawn!" "I am doing it!" Two years in a row HIAC ends with a ref screwy finish. Overall average show with a couple bright spots.

After thinking about the ending for a bit I thought of something. Do you think Shawn, and Hunter would play an on screen homosexual couple for the next part of this angle?

I'm telling you right now, if they book something like that, then the ratings would go through the fucking roof just from all the controversial press they'll end up getting. 

After thinking about the ending for a bit I thought of something. Do you think Shawn, and Hunter would play an on screen homosexual couple for the next part of this angle?I'm telling you right now, if they book something like that, then the ratings would go through the fucking roof just from all the controversial press they'll end up getting.

I'm in!

And I'm back at "Fuck this company". Even TNA booking hasn't been this inept this year in elevating talent. Daniel Bryan had momentum 3 months ago. So they had to make sure to kill that the fuck off.

• Like 1

The suplex spot in the tag title match was straight out of the Young Bucks' match against Barretta and Kendrick last Friday.  I wonder who in WWE is watching New Japan IPPV's.

They were probably reminded of it but that spot has been done in WWE before. Barretta himself did it once and I think Tyson Kidd did it sometime last year. 

Yeah its actually Baretta's spot, first done on Superstars of all places: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHMivnPayU

After thinking about the ending for a bit I thought of something. Do you think Shawn, and Hunter would play an on screen homosexual couple for the next part of this angle?

I'm telling you right now, if they book something like that, then the ratings would go through the fucking roof just from all the controversial press they'll end up getting. 

And now I am getting an image of HHH asking Steph to dress up as HBK in the bedroom.  Lots of sex standing up because no one's laying down for anybody in that scenario.

• Like 11

"Would"
  • Like 1

And I'm back at "Fuck this company". Even TNA booking hasn't been this inept this year in elevating talent. Daniel Bryan had momentum 3 months ago. So they had to make sure to kill that the fuck off.

This said it better than I ever could. If the WWE's grand plan is for Byran to win the Rumble (going from number 1 no less) to win at WM, it's not going to work. It's really amazing how the WWE can screw something up when they have something special. They did it to Punk by having him come back way too quick after he won the WWE Title (lets not even get into Nash being thrown into the feud). I mean people want to root for Daniel Bryan. Every time he gets momentum, they do this.

I'll believe Triple H is losing to Daniel Bryan when he's tapping out to the Yes Lock in the middle of the ring and not a second sooner.

If he does that, he'll kick out of Bryan's Doomsday Knee first.

I could also see him "passing out from the pain" rather than tapping out because He Is The Game And He Is That Damn Good.

Oh, it will take at least three Knee That Beat Jon Cenas, five ref bumps, and half a dozen Yes Locks to take him out.

It pains me to say it, but I'm actually interested to see what part Cena plays in this story now. Having him stay on a separate planet Punk-style won't make any sense since he was actually the catalyst for the whole thing in the first place. He could decide that since the WWE title situation is a mess and the belt's just been handed to Orton twice now, he's going to make the World title the more prestigious of the two, I suppose. Since his general status as eternal BJC champ is going to make that happen anyway (especially if it's Orton-Big Show on the other side) they really need to make it explicit. Unifying the titles is still the best thing in the long run, and keeping Cena involved on the Big Gold end of things would probably be the only way to keep the ending in suspense. If HHH-Bryan is really the goal for 'Mania, and we expect the usual Part-Timer Parade as well, then a champ vs. champ match might be the only thing that keeps the belts from getting lost in the shuffle.

And yes yes, they're neeeeever going to unify the belts, ever never ever. Until they do.

HHH's involvement in your storyline is a kiss of death. It happened to Punk. It happened to Lesnar. And now it's happening to Bryan.

Otherwise fantastic, entertaining performers are dragged down by over-booking, power trips and long-form storytelling. For months I forgot how awesome Lesnar was and thought he lost it until the first ten seconds of his feud with Punk.

I don't think HHH does it on purpose. Maybe he is just too close to creative to be a performer.

I will dread the lead up to a HHH-Bryan match. Does the guy who already proved that he should be world champ by beating Cena clean and getting the best of Orton in three straight title matches have what it takes to beat the best protected wrestler on the roster?

It sounds like it took three people to beat Bryan and he is better off than he was before Summerslam. Was anyone really expecting him to beat Orton again? 

I try to keep this in mind, but it's so hard considering that the booking staff went with the most vanilla of options in having Orton and Cena as champions. I would be optimistic in all this being done to lengthen Daniel Bryan's chase for the belt, but I have no confidence in that happening. 

The suplex spot in the tag title match was straight out of the Young Bucks' match against Barretta and Kendrick last Friday.  I wonder who in WWE is watching New Japan IPPV's.

They were probably reminded of it but that spot has been done in WWE before. Barretta himself did it once and I think Tyson Kidd did it sometime last year. 

Yeah its actually Baretta's spot, first done on Superstars of all places: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQHMivnPayU

Well, that's what I get for not watching Superstars.  I stand corrected.

Okay, armchair bookers -- if Bryan wins, then what do you do? Where do you go with Orton and where do you go with Big Show and who does he feud with?The angle has been Bryan vs. The Authority. Bryan thought he could beat them by winning the title. He can't win the title until he gets through HHH and (now) his former mentor first. There's isn't anyone on the roster who can take Orton's spot as the lead henchman to The Authority role.So now you have HHH vs. Bryan, Orton vs. Big Show, Rhodes vs. The Shield (and The Usos), etc. The story's a bigger picture now.

Legit, I wasn't a fan of the wrestling last night but everyone who is butt-hurt about Bryan not winning the belt and his legs being cut off -- he's clearly the better wrestler than Orton and has pinned him about 750 times. The only time Orton has been able to get him is because of HHH's machinations. He's still the best and everyone knows it. Only, now, HHH is about to eat a flying knee or 400 for the next few months.

• Like 3

This said it better than I ever could. If the WWE's grand plan is for Byran to win the Rumble (going from number 1 no less) to win at WM, it's not going to work. It's really amazing how the WWE can screw something up when they have something special. They did it to Punk by having him come back way too quick after he won the WWE Title (lets not even get into Nash being thrown into the feud). I mean people want to root for Daniel Bryan. Every time he gets momentum, they do this.

I did not watch this ppv but wait, so you're saying Bryan isn't getting cheered more now than he was say three months ago. Daniel's momentum is still going strong and this won't and shouldn't hurt him whatsoever. He'll still be cheered wildly everywhere, YES! YES! YES!

• Like 1

The Birdman/Wayne story is practically there on a platter for them at Mania.

Remember when I said in the RAW thread that it was time for the bad guys to win one and that Orton was getting the belt? This is booking 101 folks. The past 6 weeks have been all about the babyfaces getting the upper hand - Show, Bryan, the Rhodes Brothers - it was time for the heels to go over. If Bryan wins... where does he go from there? More rematches with Orton? Del Rio? Gauntlet match vs. the Shield? It's obvious that the match they are building to is Bryan vs. HHH. Supposedly HHH vs. Big Show is set for Survivor Series.... Triple H needs to win that one so when he jobs to Bryan at 'Mania (or whenever) it means more. If the conclusion of this angle is anything other than Bryan making Triple H tap out - then that is a problem. But we need to get there first. And I would argue that beating Triple H is as big of a deal as winning the WWE title at this point, especially for a guy like Bryan who isn't a "special attraction" like Lesnar or 'Taker. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love the finish last night. I would have preferred more of a Bret/Taker SummerSlam '97 finish (HBK goes to superkick Orton, Orton moves, DB eats it instead...). I hope they don't focus too long on HBK though unless payoff is for him to put over Bryan in the ring at some point too.

Okay, armchair bookers -- if Bryan wins, then what do you do? Where do you go with Orton and where do you go with Big Show and who does he feud with?The angle has been Bryan vs. The Authority. Bryan thought he could beat them by winning the title. He can't win the title until he gets through HHH and (now) his former mentor first. There's isn't anyone on the roster who can take Orton's spot as the lead henchman to The Authority role.So now you have HHH vs. Bryan, Orton vs. Big Show, Rhodes vs. The Shield (and The Usos), etc. The story's a bigger picture now.

Legit, I wasn't a fan of the wrestling last night but everyone who is butt-hurt about Bryan not winning the belt and his legs being cut off -- he's clearly the better wrestler than Orton and has pinned him about 750 times. The only time Orton has been able to get him is because of HHH's machinations. He's still the best and everyone knows it. Only, now, HHH is about to eat a flying knee or 400 for the next few months.

Ha, ha, hahahahahah..

You're adorable.

Like that's gonna happen.

• Like 1