DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell

Brian Fowler

When he got squashed by Sheamus at Mania

Yep.

He's never been a superhero. Never. He lost in 18 seconds to Sheamus and came out of it stronger. That's why I think you guys should stop getting so wound up about individual wins and losses. It hasn't mattered before. He was second to leave NXT. He was fired for choking someone with a tie. He won the US Title and jobbed a ton. He isn't affected by these things the way shit guys like McIntyre and Barrett are. Somehow, despite the nature of the business, people will follow the guy down as well as up. So chill the fuck out.

My initial hypothesis on the success of this angle was because Bryan's the wrestler wrestling fans can relate to the most. He's a genuinely geeky dude fighting a power structure made up of cool kids that want one of their own to have the belt. He's the goofball with the messy desk who didn't get the job promotion because the frat guy boss passed him up for a younger "brother." He's the chubby girl in high school who can sing and act her ass off who is relegated to being a Pink Lady because the pretty girl's mom is on the board of trustees at the community theater. He's a band like the amazing Luna who get signed to a major label but don't get radio airplay while some nimrods like the dreadful Eve 6 or Alien Ant Farm end up selling out arenas.That's why Bryan has this success. He's been an easily identifiable underdog since Day 1. Fired from the Nexus angle. His first feud was with The Miz, the ultimate in WWE marketing who cruelly mentored him and put him down. He had a great run with the Smackdown belt and lost it to Sheamus, who is a talented wrestler but definitely someone who oozes the phoniness of a guy who wants to go to charity events to cement his career and not because he gives a crap about other people. He got saddled with what should have been a DOA gimmick w/ Kane and turned it into one of the most entertaining comic acts in a really long time.He's not a Superman and he never will be, and thinking he should be is a wrong way to look at things, especially if you complain about Cena always being a superhero who overcomes the odds.

• Like 3

I guess I just don't care about the story, then, and it's really on me that I'm not enjoying this.

I have no desire to see more Bryan vs. The Authority. No offense to HHH or anything, but I'm not particularly interested in him wrestling Bryan, or, for that matter, HBK wrestling Bryan. People will love it, though, so I can't say that it's a bad move for everyone. 

I'd rather that Bryan just kept the belt back at the last PPV he won it at, defended over Orton despite all the machinations, and then had HHH send guys at him to take him down. I like Show, but Show/Orton just seems like a match they probably ran ten thousand times before on random Smackdowns three years ago or something.

I don't need to see Bryan win all the time, but I do like to see the belt used as a prop to signify the top wrestler and for HHH to treat it as something he has to get back. Maybe it's just my preference. 

Plus, when Titus O'Neil eventually beats Bryan in a tournament for the vacated belt after raising the Titus eyebrow and putting Bryan in the sharpshooter so HHH can screw Bryan, we'll have TWO new awesome stars! 

WWE can book Bryan however they want - NOTHING can hurt the guy. He's like Foley in '99 in the sense that the fans care about him. Not just his character, but him - they want him to do well and will make sure that happens.

That does not bode well for Bryan's impending feud with HHH.

Preshow Review:  R-Truth was hilarious. He brought back the conspiracy theories. His analysis was all over the place but it was kind of like wrestling's version of Woody Paige.

I felt bad for Kaitlyn. She got a couple nice one liners in there but they didn't let her touch on much besides the divas match...  I would have liked to hear her opinions on everything else.

Ziggler was alright but you could tell he was in a pissy mood. I guess he has a right to be. His reaction to Cena's title win was great. Ziggler has a terrible poker face unless his goal was to show his disgust. lol

Yep.

He's never been a superhero. Never. He lost in 18 seconds to Sheamus and came out of it stronger. That's why I think you guys should stop getting so wound up about individual wins and losses. It hasn't mattered before. He was second to leave NXT. He was fired for choking someone with a tie. He won the US Title and jobbed a ton. He isn't affected by these things the way shit guys like McIntyre and Barrett are. Somehow, despite the nature of the business, people will follow the guy down as well as up. So chill the fuck out.

My initial hypothesis on the success of this angle was because Bryan's the wrestler wrestling fans can relate to the most. He's a genuinely geeky dude fighting a power structure made up of cool kids that want one of their own to have the belt. He's the goofball with the messy desk who didn't get the job promotion because the frat guy boss passed him up for a younger "brother." He's the chubby girl in high school who can sing and act her ass off who is relegated to being a Pink Lady because the pretty girl's mom is on the board of trustees at the community theater. He's a band like the amazing Luna who get signed to a major label but don't get radio airplay while some nimrods like the dreadful Eve 6 or Alien Ant Farm end up selling out arenas.That's why Bryan has this success. He's been an easily identifiable underdog since Day 1. Fired from the Nexus angle. His first feud was with The Miz, the ultimate in WWE marketing who cruelly mentored him and put him down. He had a great run with the Smackdown belt and lost it to Sheamus, who is a talented wrestler but definitely someone who oozes the phoniness of a guy who wants to go to charity events to cement his career and not because he gives a crap about other people. He got saddled with what should have been a DOA gimmick w/ Kane and turned it into one of the most entertaining comic acts in a really long time.He's not a Superman and he never will be, and thinking he should be is a wrong way to look at things, especially if you complain about Cena always being a superhero who overcomes the odds.

You've described exactly what's wrong with this angle (well, besides HHH saying Bryan isn't good enough to be a top guy and essentially being proven right). Wrestling is escapist entertainment. A guy who constantly eats shit from his boss and never gets any meaningful victories isn't someone the fans can live vicariously through.

You asked when "this main event run" began. It wasn't at Mania. The breakup of Hell No and the weak link stuff are the actual answers. If you want to point to a single moment, I'd say when Bryan made Rollins tap out for the Shield's first loss.

No, it was an organic process beginning with an embarrassing loss. That was the beginning of the genesis of the origin of the introduction of Daniel Bryan.

Man, that joke will never get old. I think McGillicutty should go back to that name, lead a stable called Genesis and be the mouthpiece for a bunch of guys who could talk if he would only give up the mic. 

• Like 2

Yep.

You've described exactly what's wrong with this angle (well, besides HHH saying Bryan isn't good enough to be a top guy and essentially being proven right). Wrestling is escapist entertainment. A guy who constantly eats shit from his boss and never gets any meaningful victories isn't someone the fans can live vicariously through.

He kneed him in the face less than 24 hours ago and knocked him out cold?!!?! He celebrated over said boss after he'd been knocked out by a giant 8 days ago!?!  So, he doesn't have the title!  Maybe he doesn't want it...like Sid!

Wait, didn't he say wanted the title in that video that was posted here recently. You know the same video where he buried Randy Orton's career by saying that the only reason he was at the top was because of his dad.

Man, what were people really expecting?  When ol' HBShizzle or Old Heart Break Shit as he's known on the streets, got introduced into it, the main event became "What will Michaels do?" rather than "Will Bryan win?".

I do think it's hilarious that Cena's return will probably pop a buyrate while Michaels will get some undeserved credit.

Surprised to hear that Big Show wasn't there.  Figured he would've driven in with his big rig and pulled the cage door off with it or something.  Guess he had to hit those highways and byways and haul some freight.  Probably listening to ol' Cold Stone on the podcast machine.  Learning how to lift those heavy-ass kettlebells.  Loss of consortium?  Nuh-uh, not with some of that T-Plus.  Just a cunt hair's worth and he'll be back singing to his wife, "WELL, IT'S THE BIG SHOW!" again in no time.

• Like 2

Plus, when Titus O'Neil eventually beats Bryan in a tournament for the vacated belt after raising the Titus eyebrow and putting Bryan in the sharpshooter so HHH can screw Bryan, we'll have TWO new awesome stars! 

Unfortunately for us Titus spent his prime years in the Arena Football League, and he's now 36 (same age as Cena). He really is an alternate universe version of The Rock, if The Rock would have stayed in the Canadian Football League.

I find it very hard to get mad at the WWE anymore for how they book wrestlers, much less anyone's favorites (like CM Punk and now Daniel Bryan). Vince McMahon will ALWAYS have his favorites and they will get over in feuds regardless.

If the fans started throwing trash into the ring every time Bryan gets screwed over and it became like the end of every Monday Nitro during the nWo era, I'm not even sure that will change anything.

It's just that it's too bad there's not a fed on the level of WCW right now to take some of the ill-used wrestlers away and actually give the WWE competition. The WWE (and Vince) is only doing this because the wrestlers being screwed over have nowhere else to go and there's no other fed good enough to watch (TNA?? Get real).

So Daniel Bryan will get over eventually and the fans are completely behind him, but I just don't see Vince & co. getting behind him.

Right now, the WWE is a weird hybrid of JCP type booking and the McMahon family influence. When it works, you have stuff like the Rhodes Family versus The Shield. When it does not, you have a clusterfuck like the finish to the last few Bryan-Orton matches.

Best point made in this thread is the poster that made the point that they have unnecessarily tried to keep HHH, Orton, and Bryan strong and it has resulted in the mess we are currently mired in. I did not like the initial SummerSlam angle, just because I think that night should have been all about Daniel Bryan. However, I thought it was really well done in the following few weeks and set up a new era Austin-McMahon dynamic with Bryan and HHH. Orton should have won in screwy fashion at Night of Champions, and then kept Orton-Bryan apart for a few months as HHH sent guys after Bryan (and Shawn as the guest ref screwing Bryan would have made much more sense that night). Instead, Bryan basically went over Orton at NOC and then had a visual fall on Orton at Battleground before the shenanigans started. At that point, with Orton weakened, they should have put the belt on Bryan last night and have HHH find a new potential' face of the company." 

Unfortunately for us Titus spent his prime years in the Arena Football League, and he's now 36 (same age as Cena). He really is an alternate universe version of The Rock, if The Rock would have stayed in the Canadian Football League.

Titus O'Neil could get the Batista push (since Batista was nearing 40 when he became champion). If Darren Young ever became a great wrestler, it would be like Cena vs. Batista all over again.