DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell

Brian Fowler

Plus, WWE is much, MUCH worse at booking face title reigns (See Punk, C.M.) than they are at booking heel title reigns with face chase.

Wait, what? I think you have WWE confused with JCP. WWE's business model has been built around dynastic babyfaces for the past 50 years.There are still people insisting that there's a glorious payoff waiting down the road. Unbelievable.

Plus, WWE is much, MUCH worse at booking face title reigns (See Punk, C.M.) than they are at booking heel title reigns with face chase.

Wait, what? I think you have WWE confused with JCP. WWE's business model has been built around dynastic babyfaces for the past 50 years.There are still people insisting that there's a glorious payoff waiting down the road. Unbelievable.

This,THIS, and THIS.

Remember when I said in the RAW thread that it was time for the bad guys to win one and that Orton was getting the belt? This is booking 101 folks.

For a midcard feud. This is NOT how to elevate somebody to the main event. This is, in fact, how to do one's best to make sure somebody DOESN'T get elevated.

I'll believe Triple H is losing to Daniel Bryan when he's tapping out to the Yes Lock in the middle of the ring and not a second sooner.

If he does that, he'll kick out of Bryan's Doomsday Knee first.

I could also see him "passing out from the pain" rather than tapping out because He Is The Game And He Is That Damn Good.

After he will use the Yes Lock as a rest hold in all of his matches and kill the move...DEAD!!!

Bryan is like the only candidate to win the rumble this year (with Dolph doing Rey's old job). HHH coming in at 30 to stop him would be awesome and I'd mark out. Squarsies for mania then right??

• Like 1

On the off chance that HBK is the end game, I like the idea that Bryan needs Taker's ok for Shawn to wrestle. I like it even more if he has to beat Taker on the Feb PPV for the right.

Sorry Matt, there's no way they'd risk Taker getting hurt that close to 'mania.  Maybe 'Taker makes him wrestle someone else?

What I saw:

Tag Title match - Pretty fucking good.

Ambrose vs BIGGEST E - Okay match, Ambrose called the whole thing and the camera guys were kind enough to show it. 

Cena vs Del Rio - Great, best match I've seen Del Rio in, but he's still kinda meh.

MILLIONS OF BACKLUNDS!

Dragón Americano vs Randal Orton - I enjoyed this, a lot actually, and I don't usually like HiaC or Orton. ALL DEM CHAIRS spot was too contrived for my liking though. The finish was so dumb that I was actually laughing and saying "ahah this is so dumb". Oh well.

EDIT: I read through the comments now and I can't believe that people are marking out this much about the ending. On this board. In 2013. Are we still this enraged at Triple H and in love with indie guys? Jesus.

• Like 1

And I'm back at "Fuck this company". Even TNA booking hasn't been this inept this year in elevating talent. Daniel Bryan had momentum 3 months ago. So they had to make sure to kill that the fuck off.

This said it better than I ever could. If the WWE's grand plan is for Byran to win the Rumble (going from number 1 no less) to win at WM, it's not going to work. It's really amazing how the WWE can screw something up when they have something special. They did it to Punk by having him come back way too quick after he won the WWE Title (lets not even get into Nash being thrown into the feud). I mean people want to root for Daniel Bryan. Every time he gets momentum, they do this.
Birds of a feather...
  • Like 1

I could see Bryan winning the Royal Rumble and going to 'Mania, but only if they keep the title on Orton. There's been a million possibilities flying through my head, though. Triple Threat match with 'Taker, HHH & HBK? DX versus Bryan and someone? Bryan versus HHH? versus HBK? Tons of ways they could go with this.

EDIT: I read through the comments now and I can't believe that people are marking out this much about the ending. On this board. In 2013. Are we still this enraged at Triple H and in love with indie guys? Jesus.

Honestly, I'm kinda apathetic about everybody these days.

(And no, I DON'T know why I still watch.)

Tends to happen when you're constantly beaten over the head with the message that the people you like aren't stars, aren't worthy of being stars, "don't know how to work", don't have the "it factor", or whatever B.S. company line is in play this week.

The frustrating thing is that the actual wrestling is about as good as it's ever been...I just don't really care about the outcomes.  For all the talk about RESPECT~!ing the in-ring work, you still, as a fan, want to see your favorites win.

I guess that's how I justify my support of indy wrestling.  It's hit-and-miss, but it's closer to what I want to see in a wrestling show.

And I'm back at "Fuck this company". Even TNA booking hasn't been this inept this year in elevating talent. Daniel Bryan had momentum 3 months ago. So they had to make sure to kill that the fuck off.

This said it better than I ever could. If the WWE's grand plan is for Byran to win the Rumble (going from number 1 no less) to win at WM, it's not going to work. It's really amazing how the WWE can screw something up when they have something special. They did it to Punk by having him come back way too quick after he won the WWE Title (lets not even get into Nash being thrown into the feud). I mean people want to root for Daniel Bryan. Every time he gets momentum, they do this.
Birds of a feather...

So are you claiming that he is in a better position and more over than he was at SummerSlam? That he's in a better position to make the company money?

You guys realize Bryan is something like 16-2 against Orton and The Shield since SummerSlam? And his only losses came because of machi"nations, and the one was when Randy cashed in the title after Bryan beat Cena in what's probably the MOTY? And the dude who cost him the match last night is booked as essentially the greatest wrestler of all-time (and whether he is or not is besides the point).  Oh, and his "YES! chant is the unifying point of the huge faces on the roster?If Bryan goes on to lose to a crippled Curtis Axel tonight then tell me about him being buried. He's about to get into it with Shawn Michaels and HHH. And, oh yeah, there's a friggin' Survivor Series match most likely coming up with him/Cody/Dustin/Show vs. The Shield/Randy. That's a friggin' awesome, awesome, awesome match and absolutely built for him to overcome those odds.

• Like 6

Tends to happen when you're constantly beaten over the head with the message that the people you like aren't stars, aren't worthy of being stars, "don't know how to work", don't have the "it factor", or whatever B.S. company line is in play this week.

The frustrating thing is that the actual wrestling is about as good as it's ever been...I just don't really care about the outcomes.  For all the talk about RESPECT~!ing the in-ring work, you still, as a fan, want to see your favorites win.

I guess that's how I justify my support of indy wrestling.  It's hit-and-miss, but it's closer to what I want to see in a wrestling show.

Who the hell isn't a star that we like?Punk held the title for about 1.5 years and friggin' had the Undertaker match at Wrestlemania. And had a match against The Rock before that. Man, what a burial.It's crazy that Daniel Bryan has main-evented every single Raw and PPV for about five months now. What a burial, they way they gave him essentially the entire last hour of Raw when he took on three dudes.And it's also super tragic the way The Shield were booked as pretty much the greatest stable since The Four Horsemen and won every single match they had until a few weeks ago. And their three came at the hands of Dustin/Cody in three of the best matches of the year -- one of which was one of the best tag matches ever. 

Geez, it's friggin' awful the way the indie darlings have been treated by the WWE.

• Like 6

Greg is right. The WWE has booked Daniel like a star since Summerslam. Going over Cena, The Sheild, and Orton should have gotten fans to get behind Bryan, but it didn't. Sure the fans chanted "YES", but how many times did they chant "Daniel Bryan"? Once you factor in that, plus the lousy ratings, and terrible house show attendance. You have to understand that the WWE had no other choice but to pull the plug on the Daniel Bryan experiment.

It goes beyond Bryan simply not winning. It's not about whether or not Bryan is champion.

Bryan does not need the belt to be an entertaining compelling figure.

I think most of the audience, pre-summerslam, were just happy to have Bryan bringing the house down on a weekly basis.

No one was clamoring for him to be the new Cena.

It's the WWE that was toying with making Bryan the center of the promotion.

And the Bryan fans were obviously going to be behind the idea. So we watched for months as Bryan was repeatedly manhandled by the heels and made to look like a fool. We watched as HHH and co. put down his look and size in worked shoots. We sat through screwy finish after screwy finish.

And for what? What was all of this for?

It all begins to feel like creative is indecisive and teasing their fan base.

Birds of a feather...

So are you claiming that he is in a better position and more over than he was at SummerSlam? That he's in a better position to make the company money?

I was just pointing out how you and the Phantom Lord are on the same page.

But, in response to your question, another question: Should he just go over everyone always?

• Like 2