DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell

Brian Fowler

If the company wants him to be a main eventer? He should go over, yes. Getting 4 PPVs of bullshit finishes gets nobody over.

It got Austin over. It's also now gotten Big Show over in the past couple of months. If Bryan can't get over because of these recent screwy finishes, then that's on Bryan not being no where near compelling as the Big Show..

If the company wants him to be a main eventer? He should go over, yes. Getting 4 PPVs of bullshit finishes gets nobody over.

It got Austin over.

Who did Austin put over on the way to WM14?

Who the hell isn't a star that we like?

Well, I can't speak for a collective "we" but I can speak for myself: I don't want Randy Orton & John Cena as the world champions. I don't want two world champions, period. That's stupid. I don't want Daniel Bryan in the main event. I don't want Alberto Del Rio crammed down my throat on TV. Or Curtis Axel. Or Damien Sandow. Why are Triple H, Shawn Michaels & The Big Show the focal point of the company in 2013? I don't care about Kofi, Kane, Miz, Swagger...more than half the roster is generic fucking jobbers, just eating up TV time because WWE is so over-exposed.

I don't want an endless supply of matches that happen for no reason, or rematches. Especially rematches from the PPV the night before that people paid for, or rematches from Smackdown that WWE acts like doesn't even exist. I don't want contenders to get title shots at champions on the PPV by beating the champion clean on free TV first. I don't give a fuck if a match is wrestled well if the characters are all uninteresting & the story sucks. I'm not watching this shit in a vacuum. Why do we still have multiple authority figures that all make spur of the moment matches? It's just terrible.

The only thing I think going on right now that is "good" is the tag team stuff & it already feels like I've seen the matches sixty times. When will something memorable happen? Something that people talk about years from now. Maybe it's nostalgia, I don't know, but I still remember the characters from when I was growing up. My friends & I still reminisce about storylines from back then, like Martel blinding Jake the Snake, or the snake biting Savage, or Steamboat getting his throat crushed. Are people going to remember Cena coming back from another injury to win another title on another throwaway PPV?

I don't think Daniel is going to be buried by last night. My problem is I just don't "get" the story telling aspect of it. HBK's involvment just confuses me. If it means DB taking out HBK in a Obi-Wan kinda way then that's cool..

This is far from a burial, it's just weird story telling.

Who the hell isn't a star that we like?

Well, I can't speak for a collective "we" but I can speak for myself: I don't want Randy Orton & John Cena as the world champions. I don't want two world champions, period. That's stupid. I don't want Daniel Bryan in the main event. I don't want Alberto Del Rio crammed down my throat on TV. Or Curtis Axel. Or Damien Sandow. Why are Triple H, Shawn Michaels & The Big Show the focal point of the company in 2013? I don't care about Kofi, Kane, Miz, Swagger...more than half the roster is generic fucking jobbers, just eating up TV time because WWE is so over-exposed.

I don't want an endless supply of matches that happen for no reason, or rematches. Especially rematches from the PPV the night before that people paid for, or rematches from Smackdown that WWE acts like doesn't even exist. I don't want contenders to get title shots at champions on the PPV by beating the champion clean on free TV first. I don't give a fuck is a match is wrestled well if the characters are all uninteresting & the story sucks. I'm not watching this shit in a vacuum.

The only thing I think going on right now that is "good" is the tag team stuff & it already feels like I've seen the matches sixty times. When will something memorable happen? Something that people talk about years from now. Maybe it's nostalgia, I don't know, but I still remember the characters from when I was growing up. My friends & I still reminisce about storylines from back then, like Martel blinding Jake the Snake, or the snake biting Savage, or Steamboat getting his throat crushed. Are people going to remember Cena coming back from another injury to win another title on another throwaway PPV?

On paragraph 1) I don't know what to tell you on that, other than you should probably watch something else.On paragraph 2) I'm not a huge of fan of that, either. But I can live with a lot of it. 

On paragraph 3) If you're not a fan of The Rhodes Boys winning or Bryan beating Cena or Show punching out Reigns or Punk/Lesnar and think those are memorable -- again, I don't know what to tell you. You can relive your favorite stuff pretty easily or search out things more to your liking.

A question for the people thinking Bryan is worse off now than before?

When did he become super-popular? Specifically, what single incident can you track this main event run to?

When he started fucking the sister of John Cena's girlfriend.

When did he become super-popular? Specifically, what single incident can you track this main event run to?

I far from think he's worse off. In fact, no, he's not.But his initial wave of recognition came after that WM he lost in 18-seconds. Then he got super popular with the Kane pairing. I mean, who knew that thing would have the legs it did and would carry the tag division? His personality really shone through that. Then there was the "weak link" part run that cemented him as the most entertaining in-ring guy on the roster. Even Heel Mouthpiece JBL constantly touts that.

When he got squashed by Sheamus at Mania

Yep.

He's never been a superhero. Never. He lost in 18 seconds to Sheamus and came out of it stronger. That's why I think you guys should stop getting so wound up about individual wins and losses. It hasn't mattered before. He was second to leave NXT. He was fired for choking someone with a tie. He won the US Title and jobbed a ton. He isn't affected by these things the way shit guys like McIntyre and Barrett are. Somehow, despite the nature of the business, people will follow the guy down as well as up. So chill the fuck out.

• Like 15

When he started fucking the sister of John Cena's girlfriend.

Nope, guess again.

As much as I like Bryan and think this angle's been fucked up, if he doesn't start dating a Bella, Bryan's midcarder for life.

On paragraph 1) I don't know what to tell you on that, other than you should probably watch something else.On paragraph 2) I'm not a huge of fan of that, either. But I can live with a lot of it. 

On paragraph 3) If you're not a fan of The Rhodes Boys winning or Bryan beating Cena or Show punching out Reigns or Punk/Lesnar and think those are memorable -- again, I don't know what to tell you. You can relive your favorite stuff pretty easily or search out things more to your liking.

1. I do.

2. I can live with it, it's just so ridiculous. They literally pay people to come up with ideas, they have a creative team. They spend money for people to write things that they don't use, shoot down, alter, etc. It's completely ridiculous. Nothing is new, nothing is fresh, nothing is really even fun. They ignore the reactions from the live crowds if it doesn't meet their agenda. When they stumble onto something that is over, or hot, they fuck it up or let egos/politics get in the way.

3. I do.

I don't want Daniel Bryan in the main event.

Huh.

I didn't think anybody other than Gonzalez would say that.

I mean, why would you want the best wrestler in the main event anyways...I guess.  No, I don't know.  I really don't.

Bryan was already high up on the card before he feuded with Cena. He was mixed up in the Mark Henry Hall Of Pain era and won the World belt from Big Show,It is not like he was jobbing to Kofi Kingston for two years, You know it killed me inside to see Sabu submit to John Cena. But at the same time, I appreciated that working a ppv with Cena was a big deal. Maybe the former ROHbots need to get some perspective. 

When he got squashed by Sheamus at Mania

Yep.

What, because at the post-Mania RAW, i.e. the smarkiest crowd of the year, Bryan was over like never before?That crowd was reacting out of spite. They spent the entire night chanting "Yes!" to make it plain to WWE that they weren't having that. Sheamus got booed out of the building. Alberto Del Rio got a "Si!" chant.And lest we think that post-Mania crowds are representative of the fanbase as a whole...:

You asked when "this main event run" began. It wasn't at Mania. The breakup of Hell No and the weak link stuff are the actual answers. If you want to point to a single moment, I'd say when Bryan made Rollins tap out for the Shield's first loss.

No, it was an organic process beginning with an embarrassing loss. That was the beginning of the genesis of the origin of the introduction of Daniel Bryan.

• Like 2