DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

I just, you know, *might* own the compete series on DVD, Johnny.

Ditto
Fuck, I didn't know you could buy it. I made my friends and roommates watch it weekly when it aired. If they wanted to hang out at my place those nights, The Flash was gonna be on.
  • Like 1

One thing I loved, is how Ollie's pep talk to Barry makes so much more sense after you saw what Ollie was dealing with in Arrow.  Gave his words much more depth.  I like that they are in the same universe, but willing to have entirely different tones and booking strategies, too.

6 episodes into season 2 of ARROW now.

The show is still tremendously entertaining, but, damn, they don't even try when it comes to the nuts and bolts of plotting, do they? Every episode has at least one major contrivance or generally preposterous scenario where they just kinda cross their fingers and hope it's exciting/funny/heartwarming/breaking enough for you not to care. And, generally, they're successful. But man.

Like, the Hood gang's ability to materialize anywhere in costume and fully strapped in the premiere. They just pop out of the elevator at Queen Consolidated! I thought the high level of security there was a plot point in a first season ep. It would be one thing if this was the League of Assassins, but it's just 4 schmoes!

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about this Black Canary thing. I wasn't a big fan of when they teased that character still being alive in season 1, and I was relieved when it turned out not to be true. So...

Her chin is amazing, though.

I've been catching up on Gotham. My complaints are about the same as everyone else but I do love the guy who plays Penguin and I like The Riddler dude too. The show has no chance of working because there's just not a big enough audience for "show about Batman's city but not actually about Batman"

That kind of stuff is great for people like us or comic readers in general..  but a wide audience?  I don't think so. Everyone else is just going to complain about not having Batman. FOX will cancel this pretty quickly I assume.

Gotham has a lot of flaws, but nothing that's not correctible on the back 9.  Throttle back on the forshadowing stuff, throttle back on Bruce, who's already turning into Chibi-Batman.  Refocus on Gordon, only use Bruce as a check in every couple episodes.

And Penguin is the most enjoyable thing about the show, really.  

Yeah, all of the problems are fixable. And lest we forget, ARROW wasn't really that good of a show a few episodes in either. But they figured it out as they went along. We'll see if GOTHAM can do the same.

Speaking of those rough early days on ARROW, I was reminded of them last night when I watched the episode when their shitty take on Count Vertigo came back. You can tell they conceived that character early on when they weren't quite sure how overtly comic book-y they wanted the show to be ("So, uh, he's a drug dealer...and the drug is called Vertigo...yeah, that's the ticket."), and its a terrible, hammy performance to top it off.

I'm not sure how much of a spoiler it would be to say that my first instinct was to hunt up a picture of Robert Patrick from WALK HARD to make a macro out of.

Edit: Or whoever played the part in WALK HARD that Robert Patrick played in WALK THE LINE. I am a mess tonight.

Gotham has a lot of flaws, but nothing that's not correctible on the back 9.  Throttle back on the forshadowing stuff, throttle back on Bruce, who's already turning into Chibi-Batman.  Refocus on Gordon, only use Bruce as a check in every couple episodes.

And Penguin is the most enjoyable thing about the show, really.  

Tonight, at least, Bruce was Exposition Kid.  Just filling in the backstory.  Rather than use him as a check in, I want them to send him off to boarding school.  Other than the Crime Alley scene, every appearance of Bruce and Alfred has been in the Wayne Manor living room, hasn't it?  So lame.

As I expected, the foreshadowing has been dialed down quite a bit.  Nygma had one line, but that was the only groaner.  The other recent stuff has been subtle enough that it's more fun (Last week Penguin got a tuna sandwich; this week he hid in a freezer)

So really, I just think they need to ditch Bruce and (as somebody here mentioned earlier) give Gordon another dimension besides 100% SRZ BZZ.  And really, there should be somebody in Gotham that's a full-on good guy besides Gordon (well, and Bruce and Alfred).  I guess maybe Montoya and her partner might fill that role.

Over to FLASH, I guess I'm the only one who wasn't wowed by the first episode.  It certainly wasn't bad, and I can see the argument that it started stronger than ARROW or SHIELD did.  But I dunno... the Teen Science Squad just bugs me.  It did/does on SHIELD and it does on FLASH.  Is it going to kill the ratings if the science types are actual adults?  I guess it's a bit more plausible here than on SHIELD, but it's still grating.  I also found the flashback mom-murder thing to be kinda goofy, and I didn't get a sense of Barry's character.  Anyway, it'll probably get better.

For ARROW, I agree that the last scene was surprising...

Did the actress have other commitments or something?  It seemed like they must not have planned that out since it came out of nowhere.

For ARROW, I agree that the last scene was surprising...

Did the actress have other commitments or something?  It seemed like they must not have planned that out since it came out of nowhere.

I'm guessing that even if that character no longer appears in the present, they'll still appear in the flashbacks.

I'm catching up on Arrow. We're 17 or so episodes into Season 2 now that it hit netflix and I wanted to go back through the thread to see what people thought of the Suicide Squad episode and my god is this thing ever painful to binge through.

So that Flash episode was good-not-great, but that last 90 seconds has my curiosity even more piqued than last time. I hope we get a significant part of the Wells story soon, but not the WHOLE story. I don't think I can do 12 eps of "Harrison does something shockingly amoral and/or enigmatic right at the end of the episode to keep you guessing."

And I know there will be a lot of complaints about wasting Java and Stagg so quickly, but I've reached the point where I don't care that much about people who were never going to be used in a 'significant' way. I do hope Multiplex isn't dead, though, if only because I want to see Amanda Waller shit her pants at the prospect of 'recruiting' him.

I saw something that Firestorm might be on this show, and if Multi was on it, I'm pretty sure FS will be too, then.  Sweet.  I'm gonna have to make sure to catch that.

edit:

Well, shoulda Googled this before I hit reply:

http://dccomicsnews.com/2014/09/23/firestorms-appearance-flash/

http://www.blastr.com/2014-10-9/look-who-cw-has-just-cast-other-half-firestorm-flash

Woah..

Suicide Squad is coming after BvS

Wonder Woman in 2017

Justice League in 2017

2018 - The Flash movie starring Ezra Miller and an Aquaman movie starring Jason Momoa

2019 - Justice League 2 and Shazam with The Rock as Black Adam

Plans for Cyborg, Batman, Superman and a Green Lantern reboot

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=109331

Edit: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – 03/25/16

Suicide Squad – 08/05/16
Wonder Woman or Justice League – 06/23/17
Wonder Woman or Justice League – 11/17/17
The Flash or Aquaman – 03/23/18
The Flash or Aquaman – 07/27/18
Shazam or Justice League 2 – 04/05/19
Shazam or Justice League 2 – 06/14/19
Cyborg or Green Lantern – 04/03/20
Cyborg or Green Lantern – 06/19/20
  • Like 1

I remember him as Becca's boyfriend in Californication. Definitely punchable.

I guess I'll be the first annoying fanboy to say it: I'd rather see the kid from the tv show as Flash. You don't have to integrate the franchises, I'm just saying at least he's really likable and if you're gonna hire a complete nobody anyway...

• Like 3