DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had any idea when this show was supposed to be taking place.  When the cellphone rang, I was completely thrown off.  I thought it seemed more mid to late 80s for some reason, which would make sense if Batman is an adult now.  Was I the only one who thought Jada Pinkett Smith was acting in a completely different show than everyone else?  Everyone else was mostly grounded, and she was way over the top.  The tone of her scenes were just off to me for the most part. 

One other thing. I know the movies and TV shows aren't supposed to line up (for some reason), but in what year is Gotham set? If memory serves, cell phones didn't become widely used until the turn of the millennium. Will this Bruce Wayne's first Batmobile be a hovercar?

Well, Reed and Ben no longer met for the first time in WWII, or whenever it was.

So, GOTHAM. Whoo, boy. I'm going to give it a few episodes to see if it can figure itself out, but I was not a fan of what I saw in the pilot. They're going to have to dial back the foreshadowing by about 1000% for this to be tolerable going forward.

Pretty much alll of the dialogue between Gordon and young Bruce made my teeth hurt. And I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle episode after episode of Bruce standing precariously on ledges, holding his hand over an open flame, rubbing a pencil eraser on his forearm, or whatever other banal shit they come up with.

I liked enough things about the pilot to give it a couple more episodes, but yeah, there was some stupid shit in there.  Agree with EVA in that they need to really dial back the foreshadowing.  We get it already, these people will do stuff.  I kinda like that Alfred clearly gives no fucks.

Agreed that the things that seemed ahead of time like they'd suck -- young Bruce and "Hey look! It's a guy telling riddles! GET IT?~?~?" -- did indeed suck. But the latter will almost certainly fade away. I mean how much can they do that shit? Young Bruce might be an ongoing problem, but we'll see.

One reason I'm fairly positive about the show is that both Arrow and SHIELD took a half-season or so to get on their feet. Gotham definitely needs work, but I think it might be closer to the mark than the others were from the get-go.

Finally caught the Gotham pilot - why oh why did comic properties have to get hot just after the Pirates 20 years of misery ended - and I actually thought for the most part it was really good. Coming from a diehard Whedon fanboy this hard to admit but I thought this pilot smoked the SHIELD pilot. Time will tell if they can keep up the quality - especially when you have to drag things out for 22 eps - but this was way better than I had expected.

That's not to say there weren't problems. The kiddie crap is unbelievably awful. I don't care about Bruce's emo childhood although I have to admit the kid brought some cool dark mojo to that end scene when he was all like, "I'm glad the killer is still out there." They do need to minimize him, though, because that act will get old fast. CatGirl is just plain awful. By her second appearance I was already groaning. And, yeah, the Ivy stuff was hilariously telegraphed - as was the Riddler.

But I did really dig the Bruce-Alfred relationship. New-look Alfred has a cool edge to him.

Although not cooler than the Penguin. I can't believe nobody else mentioned it. That guy just totally owned every time he was on the screen. Maybe the origin story is from some comic I never read, I dunno, I'm much more of a Marvel fanboy, but this was the best iteration of the Penguin I've ever seen. And I thought they did the subtle foreshadowing tremendously with him - holding the umbrella in his first scene, getting kneecapped by Mrs. Fresh Prince so he "waddles," etc.

Other than that, I thought all the GCPD stuff was very well done. Logue as Bollock has a sort of Sipowcz quality to him and Ryan was perfect as the idealistic yet overmatched young Gordon. I liked how they spun some of the comic book references like Montoya having had a past lesbian-fling with Gordon's fiancee (who was super-hot, btw) or Falcone's involvement with Gordon/Gotham's underworld.

Oh and I guess this might be a stupid question but the stand-up comedian at Fish's club, that's totally the Joker, right?

Although not cooler than the Penguin. I can't believe nobody else mentioned it. That guy just totally owned every time he was on the screen. Maybe the origin story is from some comic I never read, I dunno, I'm much more of a Marvel fanboy, but this was the best iteration of the Penguin I've ever seen. And I thought they did the subtle foreshadowing tremendously with him - holding the umbrella in his first scene, getting kneecapped by Mrs. Fresh Prince so he "waddles," etc.

Agreed. I've never been wild about the Penguin, but I guess this might already be the most striking live action depiction of the character. (granted, not a ton of competition) I was a bit down on the fact that (I think) they changed his origin plus the actor is awfully skinny.

But the actor did a really good job. I loved the alley beatdown where his reaction to each of his strikes was a creepy combination of sadism and "hey, now I'm part of the guys, right?".

One thing they'll have to be careful about: given that Oswald apparently isn't rich and isn't fat and he's gleefully sadistic, they'll need to be sure to differentiate his character from the Joker. So far Oswald is more sane and has a nice 'weak, insecure guy lashing out' vibe that you wouldn't see in a Joker. And of course we'll see his character fleshed out more as the series goes.

The actor did a fine job with what he was given, but by the end, I didn't think the writing had any grasp of who the Penguin is. The preview for the next episode had him randomly knifing dudes in a car, so I'm not sure it's getting much better.

Finally caught the Gotham pilot.  Yeah, I dug that quite a bit.  The "foreshadowing" was a lot less prevalent than I expected.  The Batman-related stuff was the weakest part of the ep., but I'm really interested in where they go with Baby Penguin and the Bruce stuff was alright.  I can't see the foreshadowing being a huge issue unless the viewer is a big comics/Batman fan and part of the "comics iz seriouz bidness!" camp.  I did groan a bit when the camera pulled back to reveal catwomangirl watching the parents of Bruce's murder from above the street.  In general, catwomangirl seemed shoe-horned into the pilot, so I expect her stuff to be annoying.

Really loved the relationships among adults and Gordon and Bullock seem well cast.  It'll be fun watching Gordon try to be a good influence on Harvey.  Donal Logue has played this sort of role before and always seemed miscast to me.  He seems more natural playing a sketchy dirty cop than he does a good guy.

Didn't mind Jada Pinkett Smith, though, as already said, her performance seems out of a different movie.  Everyone else is doing Nolan Batman and her character is Tim Burton Batman

I don't think a lot of these characters fit in any of the three Batman directors' canon. However, if anything, playfully introducing someone as Edward Nygma and speaking in riddles is very pre-Christopher Nolan. Compared to the kids/future villians through one episode, the Fish Mooney character is very dialed back.

Jada P-Smith is awful, just beyond horrible. I always like the comic origin for Penguin, Cobblepot coming from old money and being one of the first families of Gotham along with the Waynes always made him much more interesting to me than him being just some psychopathic mob boss. 

I don't think a lot of these characters fit in any of the three Batman directors' canon. However, if anything, playfully introducing someone as Edward Nygma and speaking in riddles is very pre-Christopher Nolan. Compared to the kids/future villians through one episode, the Fish Mooney character is very dialed back.

Yeah, I just meant in general, the adults seemed to be giving subdued performances except for Smith.  The general feel of the adult portions of the pilot was very grim & gritty.  Then there's JPS with red tinged hair chewing scenery.  Seems like the adults dialed back to 4 and Smith dialed up to 12.

That said, I'm kinda interested to see where things with Fish go.  Though, after beating Penguin severely, I assume she ends up in the harbor or some by season's end.

Not going to lie.  I'll mark out if she'd done in by a penguin with a backpack rocket launcher.

Man, I don't get it. I thought the Gotham pilot was pretty bad. And it's not just the winking at the fans. Like, a lot of the dialog was awful. The whole "slovenly and lackadaisical" exchange with Gordon and Bullock was cringe-worthy. Everything involving child Bruce/Selina was also pretty ridiculous. I don't know. I'll give it a few more weeks because I always give comic/genre TV shows a chance. But I did not consider that a promising start.