DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Yeah, Seasons of Mist was my favorite section of Sandman, which is why I went out of my way to read the Lucifer series.  I thought Gaiman's Lucifer was grand and I wanted more of it.  Mike Carey does a pretty good job of keeping the character interesting(I still prefer Gaiman's version), but the other characters in the series start taking the spotlight as the series goes on, which works.

If you liked Seasons of Mist, you definitely need to give Lucifer a chance, Fowler.  Perfect timing for it too since VERTIGO has been re-releasing the entire series in new collected editions recently.  DO IT.  It needs more love.  It's underappreciated.

I think it's very smart. Gives creative people more freedom to tell the stories they want to tell without having to clear it through layers of studio bureaucracy ("What's that? You want to use Captain Boomerang? Sorry, we've already planned for him to be a villain in Untitled DC Event Film in 2017. Find somebody else.").

• Like 1

I think it's very smart. Gives creative people more freedom to tell the stories they want to tell without having to clear it through layers of studio bureaucracy ("What's that? You want to use Captain Boomerang? Sorry, we've already planned for him to be a villain in Untitled DC Event Film in 2017. Find somebody else.").

Of course, the flip side of that is the possibility of Supergirl and Flash -- whose showrunners didn't coordinate -- each using Captain Boomerang in very different ways in the same week, totally confusing viewers.

• Like 1

Gotham was better than I expected (I had low expectations).  

There were plenty of cheese moments, but the dynamic they set up between Gordon, Bullock, Fish, Falcone, Montoya, Cobblepot, etc. has some real possibilities.  Lots of competing agendas.

Unsurprisingly the worst parts involved kid Bruce and Catwomangirl.  I can only hope they play that down as the season moves on, but we'll see.  I'd be interested to see young(er) Alfred but I'd rather pass on that if it means Brucito comes with the package.  Hopefully the too-clever-by-half allusions and foreshadowing of the rogues gallery will go by the wayside quickly.

I was kind of hoping that we'd get to see Thomas and Martha Wayne for a while before the murder.  I'd be interested to see them in this world for 50-80% of the season  to get a better picture of what is missed once they're gone.  Sort of a Ned Stark deal.  Oh well.

I was hoping Gotham would be more of an ensemble show than the Adventures of Squeaky-Clean Jimmy. Also, more Sean Pertwee with the first original take on Alfred in decades.

Seems like they're going for the Alfred from Beware the Batman.

• Like 1

Does Batman have the most re-told origin story ever?

It's like, OK, we understand: wondering into dark alleys with your wife and son is a REALLY bad idea. Message is loud and clear.

Maybe the worst rendition of that scene ever, in any medium?

Hated this show until the 40 minute mark. Then they wove enough stuff on top of the cliches to get me back next week.

They should have shocked the shit out of everyone and had Bruce get killed too. The whole Batman saga was just a dying fantasy of a kid.

No superhero with badass gadgets and unlimited resources is coming to rescue Gotham, so it's up to Gordon and the rest of the cops.

• Like 2

Why would you take your family down an isolated and dark alley at night anyway?

And it's actually called "Crime Alley." Presumably it would have had to have been named "Someone Will Murder You and Your Wife and Leave Your Son a Rage-Filled Wreck Alley" for Mr Wayne to get the hint that he should avoid it.

One other thing. I know the movies and TV shows aren't supposed to line up (for some reason), but in what year is Gotham set? If memory serves, cell phones didn't become widely used until the turn of the millennium. Will this Bruce Wayne's first Batmobile be a hovercar?

• Like 2