DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

They didn't kill him, so its likely we'll get him for another Suicide Squad one-off filler later in the season.

He also worked for a bait-and-switch with the main plot for an episode.

While I'm really enjoying many aspects of both Arrow & the Flash, I don't understand the need for every super hero to have a team. And also the obsession with 90% of the show's cast knowing their "secret" identity. Everyone on Arrow's regular cast except Captain Lance and Ray Palmer know who he is and everyone on Flash except for Iris & Eddie Thawne know who he is. 

Now that we know he took a meeting with Warner Bros. about their upcoming slate of superhero movies and Marvel about "Doctor Strange," the question is whether or not he'll actually sign on to make what has become a sort of must for anyone working in Hollywood. I don't think he's anywhere near the right guy for "Doctor Strange," and like when Joaquin Phoenix was being rumored for the role, I have a really hard time imagining Gosling as part of the Avengers. It just doesn't seem like the right fit.

The idea of him signing up to be part of "Suicide Squad" for DC, though, is far more interesting, and with David Ayer directing, it might be the right kind of package to attract him. Ayer has a rep for directing actors in tough roles, and making his ensembles look tough, and he seems like the kind of director who might be attractive to Gosling. There's something appealing about the notion of taking supervillains and pushing them into service doing jobs no one else wants to do, where they could easily die, and where morals take a back seat to necessity.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/ryan-gosling-flirts-with-doctor-strange-and-suicide-squad-for-marvel-and-dc

While I'm really enjoying many aspects of both Arrow & the Flash, I don't understand the need for every super hero to have a team. And also the obsession with 90% of the show's cast knowing their "secret" identity.

Because secret identities get tedious over the course of 20, 40, 60 episodes. And the characters who don't know the secret ultimately end up looking like dopes because they can't figure it out and/or become unlikeable because they're constantly getting in the way of the hero doing heroic things or chastising the hero because of some obligation he's foresaking to do heroic things, etc.

Yeah, there is no superhero trope I'm more sick of than the "my (would-be) significant other can't know I'm secretly SuperheroMan because then she would be in danger."

Except maybe "I love her, but she's in love with SuperheroMan, but she doesn't know I'm actually SuperheroMan" which is just a variation on the same theme, but even more obnoxious.

Gotham's hanging on by a thread with me. They need to add a little more personality to Gordon instead of always having him be so grim and serious. Most of all though they need to get rid of Jada Pinkett. She's the worst thing on that show by a mile.

• Like 3

I agree, Fish has gone bad.  I hate saying that because she's clearly having a blast with the role, but she falls under the same trap as every other non-Gordon/Bullock character....she doesn't need to be on every episode.

Yeah she's trying to make Fish a memorable character but I guess you could say she's......

floundering

david-caruso-horatio-cain.jpg

• Like 7

While I'm really enjoying many aspects of both Arrow & the Flash, I don't understand the need for every super hero to have a team. And also the obsession with 90% of the show's cast knowing their "secret" identity.

Because secret identities get tedious over the course of 20, 40, 60 episodes. And the characters who don't know the secret ultimately end up looking like dopes because they can't figure it out and/or become unlikeable because they're constantly getting in the way of the hero doing heroic things or chastising the hero because of some obligation he's foresaking to do heroic things, etc.

Flash is already doing this with Barry and Iris.  The man is a police CSI and a grown man.  He was in a coma for 9 months.  Don't bully him because he didn't do your fucking homework assignments for you.

Maybe Harrison Wells is Hunter Zolomon.  

Gotham is frustrating for me because like 75% of every episode is awesome but that other quarter of stuff doesn't just seem out of place, it's eye-rolling groan-inducingly awful.

In the pilot it was Ivy and Riddler, three weeks ago it was Emo Bruce bleeding just to know he's alive and Catgirl with the "I can see in the dark, call me cat, I'm gonna scratch you 'cause I'M CATWOMAN!" nonsense, then we had the evil threat of Balloonman and this week it was Fish and whatever the hell that stupidity with the singing fighting prostitutes was.

It's doubly frustrating because I like the other stuff so much. That Penguin dude is putting in one of the most compelling performances on TV. Donal Logue is a fantastic actor - "Terriers" is right behind "The Good Guys" and "Firefly" on the list of shows I'm pissed got cancelled early - but they hardly give him anything to do. Bullock eventually becomes one of Gordon's go-to guys so his story of redemption should be a main focus yet he gets only a few scenes per episode. I dunno, I like the show but I leave every episode thinking it should be better.

I do like Gordon, though. I agree they should give him a little more comedy to do - one thing I always liked about Ryan on "The OC" was his droll sense of humor. I did love his reaction to Barbra's bisexual past this past week - maybe I haven't been to the right geek sites but I was sure that would end up part of some meme by week's end.

The show is in a weird purgatory for me, in that it's doing just enough for me to watch it, but not enough to make me invest in it.

Yeah, that about sums up my feelings.  No plans to drop it right now, but it's not clicking for me.  Hoping it eventually gets its act together because it seems like the pieces are there to create something really entertaining.  Then again, I've never been blown away by Heller's other shows.  I thought the Mentalist was one of the laziest written shows of the past decade and worked mostly because Simon Baker gave such a fun, scenery-chewing performance.

Thew biggest flaw for me so far is the characterization. I do like Gordon so far, but also feel like he's kinda one dimensional.  And Bullock is a cypher so far - which wastes Logue.  Same for Montoya.  The bad guys are a little better off.  Baby Penguin is a great character and I'm beginning to rather enjoy Fish's evilness.  But, yeah, they need more character development.

I don't think Penguin is a great character, but Robin Lord Taylor is easily giving the best performance. I think he's the only actor coming close to hitting the tone that the show is aiming for.

But Penguin's plan right now is total nonsense. He knows that the Falcone organization thinks he's dead and will kill him for real if they find out he's alive. And he knows that he's such a distinctive figure that people instantly recognize him as the penguin-looking guy that Falcone had killed. Yet his plan is to return to Gotham and make himself AS CONSPICUOUS AS POSSIBLE, taking a job at a mob-owned restaurant where wiseguys are in and out, literally, all the time? To top it off, he orchestrates a plan to to make himself even MORE VISIBLE by becoming the manager of said restaurant? What?

It looks like the "Falcone notices Penguin is still alive" stuff comes to a head already this week, so they're probably not going with it in the direction we think they're going (I expected Penguin to be in hiding until late in the season).  Maybe Penguin's plan isn't to be inconspicuous.  But, yeah, considering he has no one looking out for him and no way to protect himself from Falcone or Fish, he probably should have a better plan.

Yeah, after I wrote that, I saw a commercial that seems to imply that's going to get addressed in some fashion tonight.

But, man, what an absurdly risky plan. I mean, what about the 3 guys he hired to stage the robbery? I don't know how much money they were set to get from the score, but I'm guessing they could've gotten more for turning Penguin over to Falcone instead. Better yet, do the robbery, THEN turn him over. If he picks the wrong 3 guys, he's dead. Maybe they were from out of town...