DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

When I saw his name as a producer, I was hoping he'd eventually take a hands-on approach on the show.

Man, Whedon's Angel series had like the greatest line-up of producing talent in history. Edlund came on towards the end, Shawn Ryan was there in the early seasons, then there was David Greenwalt, Steven DeKnight, and Tim Minear all at various points.

When I saw his name as a producer, I was hoping he'd eventually take a hands-on approach on the show.

Man, Whedon's Angel series had like the greatest line-up of producing talent in history. Edlund came on towards the end, Shawn Ryan was there in the early seasons, then there was David Greenwalt, Steven DeKnight, and Tim Minear all at various points.

They had a genuine Nerderer's Row.

Gotham was fun this week but still way too much Bruce. His scenes SUCK. Plus it was all like "look at how he's a great detective!". If he's that awesome at 12-years old then shit, have him start fighting crime by season's end. He needs to go. It's by far the least interesting thing going on and that includes Fish and her weaponized prostitute.

This is why nothing about Gotham works for me.  It's an interesting sound premise but it does not work in execution.  

Just like Smallville, the creators didn't know where to take the show after a few seasons and abandoned the series.  

Gotham was fun this week but still way too much Bruce. His scenes SUCK. Plus it was all like "look at how he's a great detective!". If he's that awesome at 12-years old then shit, have him start fighting crime by season's end. He needs to go. It's by far the least interesting thing going on and that includes Fish and her weaponized prostitute.

This is why nothing about Gotham works for me.  It's an interesting sound premise but it does not work in execution.  

Just like Smallville, the creators didn't know where to take the show after a few seasons and abandoned the series.  

Smallville really lost itself after its fifth season.

That is one of the problems that Network TV tends to expose. They just run something into the ground until the carcass just flails around enough to make you think its still active come the actual series finale.

• Like 2

Whoa. Apparently Ben Edlund wrote tonight's episode of GOTHAM. I sense it'll be a good one.

And indeed it was! Easily the best episode of the series so far. (No Fish/Falcone stuff does wonders.) I think it did a lot for Bullock and gave them somewhere to go with him as a character moving forward. And Logue and Mackenzie are getting close to having something akin to chemistry.

Everything that happened in the abandoned theatre set was beautiful. But, boy, do the directors of this show LOVE to shoot Penguin in a tight closeup staring directly into the camera. Must've happened 6 times, minimum, in this episode.

And I'm still not sure anything he does makes sense, week to week. They better have one doozie of a bow to logically wrap up all of his actions with.

Captain Cold felt very faithful to Geoff Johns's vision of the character (for good and ill). All in all, a fairly enjoyable episode though Felicity seemed more grating than she does on Arrow. Looking forward to the return bout.

Does that mean he did coke?

I actually liked his take on MM. Morrison never gave Evan much personality beyond "angry Scot orphan with a sentimental streak" so throwing in the fucked up backstory and the coke addiction at least gave him some texture without overwriting what was there before.

Just saw this:

• A "Blue Devil" movie poster is seen on a Starling City bus in the Season 2 Arrow episode "Time of Death".
  • A movie sign for "Blue Devil 2 - Hell to Pay" can be seen at a movie theater Barry Allen and Iris West visit in the Flash episode "Things You Can't Outrun".

I LOVED Blue Devil.  It was one of my favorite comics in the 80's.  I'm gonna have to go back an check this out.

Whoa. Apparently Ben Edlund wrote tonight's episode of GOTHAM. I sense it'll be a good one.

And indeed it was! Easily the best episode of the series so far. (No Fish/Falcone stuff does wonders.) I think it did a lot for Bullock and gave them somewhere to go with him as a character moving forward. And Logue and Mackenzie are getting close to having something akin to chemistry.

Everything that happened in the abandoned theatre set was beautiful. But, boy, do the directors of this show LOVE to shoot Penguin in a tight closeup staring directly into the camera. Must've happened 6 times, minimum, in this episode.

And I'm still not sure anything he does makes sense, week to week. They better have one doozie of a bow to logically wrap up all of his actions with.

I don't have the Fish/Falcone hate, as I like the assortment of different characters with various conflicting goals, plus they seem to be hinting at something interesting between Falcone and Thomas Wayne.  But I agree that Bullock added a dimension tonight. 

I haven't had a problem with Penguin's actions prior to tonight.  The fact that he wasn't hiding in the shadows didn't bother me -- he was a flunky to Fish, who in turn was one of several middle managers under Falcone.  None of the Italian mob dudes would know who he is, and in a big city it's easy enough to avoid people if you avoid certain areas/neighborhoods.  Presumably the Italians have their turf and Falcone has his; if Penguin stays on the Italian side of town, he wouldn't likely run into any Falcone folks who'd recognize him.  I guess you can ask how he was able to find three goons to carry out the restaurant job, but to me that's more of a "how'd he do that?" than a stupid plan. 

That said, the thing at the end of the episode will indeed need some explaining.  I guess if he's trying to stay in good with Gordon, he wouldn't want the guy in jail, but I hope there's more to it than that.

Quick question: has anybody ever seen somebody talking Gotham and they say they enjoy the Bruce parts?  I can hardly recall as unanimous an opinion on a show like this.  Everybody seems to agree Bruce needs to go.  Hopefully the producers are taking note.

I haven't had a problem with Penguin's actions prior to tonight.  The fact that he wasn't hiding in the shadows didn't bother me -- he was a flunky to Fish, who in turn was one of several middle managers under Falcone.  None of the Italian mob dudes would know who he is, and in a big city it's easy enough to avoid people if you avoid certain areas/neighborhoods.  Presumably the Italians have their turf and Falcone has his; if Penguin stays on the Italian side of town, he wouldn't likely run into any Falcone folks who'd recognize him.

This is all very plausible, but it runs counter to the scene in the 3rd episode where he's spotted on the street by some random mook within, like, 10 minutes of coming back to town! The scene served no purpose except to underscore the fact that everybody knows this freakshow and it's highly dangerous for him to show his unmistakable mug in the city.

The problem with your explanation - and it's the show's problem, not yours - is that you're doing all the legwork on it. The show suggests none of that, and instead sets up his predicament as I just described.

That said, the thing at the end of the episode will indeed need some explaining.  I guess if he's trying to stay in good with Gordon, he wouldn't want the guy in jail, but I hope there's more to it than that.

But how would Penguin even know that Gordon was being arrested? At that very moment even? It's staged almost like a coincidence. So he was he showing up at GDPD for an entirely different reason? You could say he got tipped off, but by whom? We know he has a connection with Montoya and her partner...but they couldn't have told him, because then they'd know he's alive and wouldn't be arresting Gordon for murdering him. Who else could have known? Barbara, I guess? But she doesn't really know him, or even who he really was, as I recall. So the only way that works out is if Penguin conveniently turned up at her doorstep right afterwards.

• Like 1

I don't have the Fish/Falcone hate, as I like the assortment of different characters with various conflicting goals, plus they seem to be hinting at something interesting between Falcone and Thomas Wayne.  But I agree that Bullock added a dimension tonight. 

I haven't had a problem with Penguin's actions prior to tonight.  The fact that he wasn't hiding in the shadows didn't bother me -- he was a flunky to Fish, who in turn was one of several middle managers under Falcone.  None of the Italian mob dudes would know who he is, and in a big city it's easy enough to avoid people if you avoid certain areas/neighborhoods.  Presumably the Italians have their turf and Falcone has his; if Penguin stays on the Italian side of town, he wouldn't likely run into any Falcone folks who'd recognize him.  I guess you can ask how he was able to find three goons to carry out the restaurant job, but to me that's more of a "how'd he do that?" than a stupid plan. 

Quick question: has anybody ever seen somebody talking Gotham and they say they enjoy the Bruce parts?  I can hardly recall as unanimous an opinion on a show like this.  Everybody seems to agree Bruce needs to go.  Hopefully the producers are taking note.

I'm not as down on Bruce as I am on Fish, but I do agree that the "Bruce Wayne: boy detective" stuff needs to stop.