DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Flash was good, but nearly every episode has a version of the same flaw for me: I never feel like Flash should actually be in any danger.  You're worried about breaking bones when you punch a guy?  Okay, use a baseball bat.  Or tie him up lickety-split.  Or just pick him up and drop him off in his metahuman cell.  There's no need to run at Mach one-point-whatever, breaking every window in Central City, so you can risk killing yourself to punch the dude.  (BTW, I wonder if there will be any consequences for all those broken windows.)

Ah well, whatever.  I suppose I'll get used to it.  

The Flash has always been on of those charcters who are really overpowered when you think about it. He should have wrapped up a baddie quicker than i typed this.

I know that was one reason McDuffie wrote him out of JLA toon so often.

• Like 1

I'm caught up through ARROW 3.2 now, and I have to wonder what the fuck the producers were thinking in killing off Sarah. I know Laurel is Black Canary in the comics, but come on, man. Call an audible. Sarah was a much better character than Laurel.

Sarah's death was handsomely shot, though. Gotta give it that.

• Like 1

The Flash has always been on of those charcters who are really overpowered when you think about it. He should have wrapped up a baddie quicker than i typed this.

I know that was one reason McDuffie wrote him out of JLA toon so often.

I love that they made up for that with the legitimately epic beatdown he gave Luthor at the end though.

That's probably my favorite moment in cartoon history.

"There's a force...  a speed force."

Peter David once said he could never write The Flash, because he didn't know anyway to make something a threat to his powers.  He clarified that Impulse in Young Justice was an exception, because he was Impulse.

I think the threats in the show work so far, just because Barry is still figuring all this out.  He gets caught up in hero mode and gets a little too cock-sure.  I mean, why else would he even stop moving in the first place, or need help figuring out what speed to do something?

Gotham really needs to knock this off, if they keep introducing all these villains/allies while Bruce is still a kid they'll be geriatric by the time he is Batman. 

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/19/gotham-robin/

This show is so fucking horrible. "Prenatal Robin Story" is something so impossibly bad that it seems like a too obvious Onion article making fun of nerd culture origin stories. They just went back wayyyyyyyy too fucking far with this prequel. It would be like if Bates Motel were actually about Norma Bates pregnant with Norman Bates, years away from moving and buying a motel. I have no clue who this show is actually for. But I've actually been cracking up all day just saying the words "Prenatal Robin Story". I can picture the writer's room where everybody is going around the table giving their ideas, and the new guy feebly suggest "Prenatal Robin Story?" and the room goes silent, and he starts second guessing himself, and then Bruno Heller just starts with an epic slow clap like at the end of Rocky IV.

He's been smoking all over the place.

The producers said that they replaced his cigs with the lighter due to standards and practices being against smoking.  That is why last night was a huge deal.

Yeah, I know, which is why part of my hopes that it gets moved to SyFy where they are showing reruns so that they can get some additional creative freedom. 

...and half the budget.  I'm sure the producers would be thrilled with that switch (not that I expect it to happen.  SyFy has shown reruns of NBC genre shows before in an attempt to grow the audience for NBC).

finally broke down and ordered the 1960s Batman tv show on dvd. i'd debated it since the price was announced, but i ended up giving in to temptation. picked it up on batmanondvd.com tho, since it has some bonus stuff with it.  

now i just can't wait for it to show up in the mail.