DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

It was a good episode, but I about lost it when I realized that, not only did they not provide a decent explanation for why Penguin was at GCPD, they SKIPPED THE SCENE ENTIRELY. They didn't even try! The fuck? Even from an entertainment perspective, how do you skip over a scene that juicy?

I was ready to turn on the show completely at that point, but the rest of the episode was better. The plotting is just so loose, though. Its kinda annoying the way they yadda yadda through stuff just to hurry up and get to the next thing. Like, how Bullock goes from wanting to shoot Gordon to volunteering to help him between scenes. That's a major piece of character development that happened offscreen. Then there's little odds and ends like the show expending no effort whatsoever to explain how Gordon gets the drop on Fish's guys or how Gordon and Bullock execute a successful infiltration of Falcone's mansion. The show's just like, "It...um...happened. Deal with it."

Even the reveal of the Penguin/Falcone relationship, while explaining Penguin's kamikaze return to Gotham, had the feel of contrivance. "Everything happened exactly as you said it would!" Yes, yes it did.

I fast forward every single scene Jada Pinkett is in, and I don't think I missed any important plot points. Next week's looks to be spreading the logic pretty thin too: "Alfred, can you teach me to fight?" "Why yes I can!" must be their way of whitewashing Bruce's training. At this rate the kid's gonna be donning the cape and cowl by season's end.

Are we really supposed to buy that Laurel is going to eventually replace her sister -- who fought for her life and was trained as an assassin for years -- as Black Canary when her training consists of boxercising in her free time after her day job as a lawyer? But, hey, at least we know she's super angry and driven.

Well, to be fair, Laurel is being trained by Wildcat, so, yeah.

I fast forward every single scene Jada Pinkett is in, and I don't think I missed any important plot points. Next week's looks to be spreading the logic pretty thin too: "Alfred, can you teach me to fight?" "Why yes I can!" must be their way of whitewashing Bruce's training. At this rate the kid's gonna be donning the cape and cowl by season's end.

I didn't think she was bad this week, finally dropped her shitty Eartha Kitt tribute and talked like someone who was actually pissed about something, rather than overacting because "comic books".

I didn't think she was bad this week, finally dropped her shitty Eartha Kitt tribute and talked like someone who was actually pissed about something, rather than overacting because "comic books".

I tried, and I got as far as "HE'S ALIVE?!?!?!" before I skipped her entirely. But then I've never really been a big fan of hers.

That was a boring episode of Arrow until the last few seconds. I don't think they could have a blander villain of the week if they tried.

Well its not like they could use OMAC yet.  It was more a Felicity backstory fill episode anyway.

I really enjoyed this week's Gotham; probably my favorite so far.  All of EVA's points are valid, but I was mostly okay with it.  They should have re-done the scene of Gordon and Bullock in the lockerroom to be Bullock (who was reminded of his more idealistic past by the Goat thing) coming around on Gordon.  As far as the GCPD/Penguin cliffhanger, I guess Falcone has a mole in the department who tipped off the Gordon arrest, leading to Cobblepot showing up.  But they couldn't really explain that until after they revealed the Falcone/Cobblepot relationship.  Still, it was a flaw.

I liked the Falcone/Cobblepot thing and putting Gordon and Bullock in Wayne Manor.  At least that way the dumb Bruce scenes might be slightly relevant.  And surely they'll have opportunities to get some fun out of the Bullock/Alfred odd couple.  

I didn't foresee that the first clash in the DC onscreen multiverse (AFAIK) would come from using the same actor to play different villains in Flash (The Mist) and Gotham (Zsasz).  

Are we really supposed to buy that Laurel is going to eventually replace her sister -- who fought for her life and was trained as an assassin for years -- as Black Canary when her training consists of boxercising in her free time after her day job as a lawyer? But, hey, at least we know she's super angry and driven.

Well, Thea seems to have mastered ninja training in less than five months, so...... 

I'm kinda expecting "serious business" Thea and Laurel to drag down the show this season.  I'm skeptical either actress is up to it (esp. Cassidy) and I'm not wild about the character turns.  I've pretty much lost all patience with Laurel.  The "I'm worried about my dad so I won't tell him his daughter is dead" thing is the sort of ridiculous twist that only occurs in tv shows because it's basically a monstrous, cruel thing to do to a loved one. 

That's up there with Ollie (1) learning of Thea's sireage, (2) being appalled that his mother would keep that info from Thea, then (3) deciding it was vitally important that Thea not find out.  The Arrow writers don't do the soap opera stuff well.

At least Thea's not a full ninja yet -- Nyssa was apparently able to apprehend her without much trouble (unless that was all part of a Merlyn plot).

At least Thea's not a full ninja yet -- Nyssa was apparently able to apprehend her without much trouble (unless that was all part of a Merlyn plot).

Since she didn't fight back, I assumed it was either part of her and Merlyn's master plan, or she didn't want to tip her hand by showing off her ninja skills (iirc, either Roy or Oliver was with her when Nyssa took her.  Ollie, I think?)

Something I don't get.  In earlier episodes we clearly see that Laurel can handle herself in a physical altercation, but now all of a sudden she gets punked by some random wife beater, and she needs full on training to learn to fight?

She breaks kneecaps for a bit before getting a shot at the big bad subbing for an injured Ollie and falls in love with the local pet shop boy?

Sadly, she loses by decision.

• Like 1