DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

If DC was really bold, they'd continue developing their TV universe, including more topline characters, and then, say around 2020 or so, do a Crisis event where the movie and TV universes collide.

Tom Cavannagh's character being the Monitor or a male Harbinger would explain a great deal.

Man...a Crisis event, factoring in TV and movies would be hard to pull off. That said, I would be tickled to see Brandon Routh (in the Christopher Reeves spot), Dean Cain, Tom Welling, Henry Cavill, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale and Ben Affleck all in the same movie.

• Like 1

Routh would already be in the Ray Palmer spot, so he'd be out as Supes.  

Keaton as geezer Batman would own it though.

Well shit. CG Christopher Reeves then?

I also want the Keaton, Bale and Affleck Batmans (Batmen?) to talk shit about the Kilmer and Clooney Batmen.

If the logo had a white background I think the costume would be fine.  It's all just a red blob when glancing at it now.

Static is getting his own live action series (just announced Tuesday)

Well fuck me, I thought that rumor was never going to happen so I just dismissed it. Glad to hear it, though. Criminally under-utilized, IMO.

Watched all three episodes of The Flash last night. I don't really have any mohair complaints outside of a few fanboy-ish ones like the costume being so damn dark. As a Wally West-Flash fan, I've never been a big fan of Barry Allen, but Grant Gustin is doing a damn fine job with the character and making him very likeable.

Still iffy on the science team, though. Getting Vibe and Killer Frost down the line seems like something that needs to happen, IMO. One thing that kinda bothers me is that the "meta-human" explanation feels too much like the Bang-babies from Dakota(maybe they'll find some way to get Static in there, he could do with some exposure).

All in all, it definitely has me interested, especially with the Rogues possibly coming soon.

No possibly about it. Next week we get Heat Wave and Captain Cold, and I don't see how you do those two without Len doing a union membership drive.

Huh, I only remember seeing Cap in the teaser for next week. I just thought they'd slow-burn the Rogues joining up to much later on in the season(or possibly next season) since Reverse Flash looks to be the Big Bad of this season.

LOL at that changed ending on Constantine.

In the leaked pilot, Liv wants to help, in the finished version, Chas basically says she's all, "Fuck this, I'm done".

And the demon never became a Constantine clone in the leak, he talked to him through the security guard. 

I liked it.  

Pandora's Box and the Helmet of Fate made me smile.

The Spectre is supposed to show up according to the Wiki.

Nice to see them raise up the darker characters in the DC Universe.

The first season is supposed to be more along his early work in the Swamp Thing before delving into the comics.

In the leaked pilot, Liv wants to help, in the finished version, Chas basically says she's all, "Fuck this, I'm done".

And the demon never became a Constantine clone in the leak, he talked to him through the security guard.

The actress that played Liv was all over the place. Not crying any tears that she was sent far away.

The actress that played Liv was all over the place. Not crying any tears that she was sent far away.

Wasn't she fired/replaced after the pilot was shot (hence reshooting the ending to write her out).?

And, yeah, the actress didn't make much of an impression on me.  Her performance was one of the weaker parts of the pilot.

Not sure how much I'll like the show, but I'll give it awhile.  The pilot was certainly better than I expected.  As someone else said, they seem to be looking mostly to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run for both plot and tone.  Honestly, I felt the tone of the Hellblazer book was often too depressing and horrific, so I can live with an interpretation rooted mostly in Moore's "supernatural man of mystery".  Constantine was a more entertaining character for me when there was a bit of mystery about him. 

The basic plot of the season - Constantine hopscotching around the US to supernatural trouble spots in advance of some greater evil stirring things up - is pretty similar to what Jc and Swamp Thing did in Moore's 'American Gothic' storyline.  The show will do well if it serves up anything half as creepy as the underwater vampire town.

I do mourn the loss of the character's beloved cigarettes.  A non-smoking John Constantine?  Whaaaaa?  I guess smoking characters are no longer pc.

There were some complaints early on about protecting a girl because lets be honest, Constantine is a loner and everyone around him dies.

But they are adding females from the comic which is cool.

From what I heard the start is based on the American Gothic storyline and they are looking into the comics to see what they can and cannot do.  The Family Man will never make it to television and they have to work at a lot of the storylines to claw them back into something made for television.  

The lighter is replacing the cigarettes.  

Even if they do not make it on NBC I have a feeling Syfy would pick it up in a minute and let them be much darker.

Hellblazer is just a bad fit for network TV. I guess Hannibal (from what I've heard - don't watch) gets away with a lot of stuff but generally network TV has to be wary of standards and practices. I haven't seen the pilot yet but I've always thought the show would've been much better off on cable where the crazy shit shows like Walking Dead or American Horror Story do would fit Constantine much better.

Thank goodness Seth Rogen sold Preacher to AMC. I can't believe I just typed that...

Gotham was fun this week but still way too much Bruce. His scenes SUCK. Plus it was all like "look at how he's a great detective!". If he's that awesome at 12-years old then shit, have him start fighting crime by season's end. He needs to go. It's by far the least interesting thing going on and that includes Fish and her weaponized prostitute.

• Like 1