DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Harrison Wells continues to be beyond enigmatic. However, we now have enough info that it's pretty evident to me that

he engineered the accelerator to fail, so as to create the metas

Interesting to see people finally get a look at Barry in costume, even if it's only for fractions of a second.

Obviously, the idea is that Henry gets a look at Barry and thinks he's the murderer rather than Zoom.

So is Thawne going to have some dark horrid secret, or turn out to be a victim of circumstance when he inevitably goes heel? Right now he's kind of smarmy, but doesn't really show any of the signals you expect from a "love triangle hypotenuse who will go from rival to enemy."

Next week: ROGUES! WITH RAY GUNS!

I wasn't as into the Flash pilot as most, but the show is winning me over. I'd probably put it at #4 behind Arrow, Gotham, and SHIELD, but they're all pretty closely bunched.

I don't like the Teen Science Team in theory, but in practice, they're really not bad. The Simmons-looking lady is still kind of colorless, but the dude actually ends up being more charming than annoying. Credit to the actor, since that character as written could easily tilt the other way.

I didn't like that Harrison stabbed the dude last week. For one thing, I think it would have been more interesting if the character was still around. For another, it seems weird that Harrison would stab a dude right in his office instead of being more sneaky and sciency.

The fight scenes kind of bug me since I'd think Flash should always be able to wallop a bad guy before he could do anything. Also this week it seemed odd that Mister Misty could keep up with Flash. In a few shots it seemed that he was drafting behind Barry in such a way as to let his vapor fill the vacuum left behind after Flash runs through the air, but then in other shots he was far enough behind that that wouldn't seem to work.

I also think they sort of missed an opportunity with Multiplex. The obvious thing to do with that kind of villain is have a side-plot where Barry is having to deal with living a dual life. They did a bit of that, but it seemed like they main theme they settled on was Barry having to overcome his doubt, which wasn't set up that well.

Also, isn't Barry pining for Iris kind of incesty?

Anyway, I ended up listing all my quibbles, but overall I like the show just fine. I'm still not totally feeling the mother murder mystery, but generally the characters and actors are all fine. And the conceit of the collider causing all the metahumans is nifty. I hope they do some different things with it on occassion instead of just having a new villain pop up every week. Like set up some stuff slowly over episodes, then eventually reveal that the weird stuff is caused by a metahuman. Or maybe there's another good guy out there, or a guy who just wants to live his life and not use his powers but he can't, or some guy who wants to do good but his power just happens to be kinda useless. Or a villain pops up and it takes three episodes to beat him. I imagine they've got to have some ideas like this since surely they realize you can't do an entire season of "new villain shows up every week".

Slowly but surely I'm coming around on Gotham.  It looks like next week may kill that, as it looks like they are going back to ALL THE SHIT I HATED.  The last two episodes have been controlled and focused and cut out the superfluous stuff.  This week's Bruce-heavy stuff not withstanding.  I don't know, I just feel like the show is at least going in the right direction.

I could do without Bruce already being Detective Batman without the ninjitsu and costume.  This week with the proto-Venom was good, and the focus was there, even with Nygma being all excited about supervirus killing people.  Dude playing Penguin is killing it.

Next week they're doing Scarecrow though.  Good Fuck, NO.  Just because its Halloween, don't do Bat-villians.  Seriously, with the amount of Bat-Villians that are already operating, they should already be over the hill by the time Batman is active.  No wonder he kicks the shit out of all of them, everyone but Catwoman and Ivy are going to be senior citizens.

I could do without Bruce already being Detective Batman without the ninjitsu and costume.  This week with the proto-Venom was good, and the focus was there, even with Nygma being all excited about supervirus killing people.  Dude playing Penguin is killing it.

Next week they're doing Scarecrow though.  Good Fuck, NO.  Just because its Halloween, don't do Bat-villians.  Seriously, with the amount of Bat-Villians that are already operating, they should already be over the hill by the time Batman is active.  No wonder he kicks the shit out of all of them, everyone but Catwoman and Ivy are going to be senior citizens.

I don't think that was Scarecrow

Yeah I think they want people to THINK it's Scarecrow so they can draw in more viewers but I doubt it will be him. Personally I found the stuff with Maroni to be a bit over the top this week. David Zayas is a good actor, but dude tone it down a notch. I mean, when Eric Roberts plays the same character with more subtlety than you it's time to re-evaluate your performance. Also, insert obligatory weekly bitching about Jada Pinkett here (I actually fast forwarded every scene she was in so I didn't really see anything but I'm just sick of seeing her).

I haven't watched Gotham but might marathon it when the season is over if the feedback is mostly positive.

The Flash I'm not totally sold on.  It's ok, but I can't help but compare it to Arrow which is significantly better.  I do wonder if the season finale will end with some asshole from the EPA going to their science prison and setting all the bad guys they have trapped down there free when they demand it be shut off.

I may be going a little soft on Flash, but I'm still enjoying it thoroughly.  And if it's still finding its legs a bit, it's still significantly better than either Arrow or SHIELD was after 3 eps IMO.  I really think next week is going to be a litmus test since it's (1) the first ep that's not dealing with a victim of the accelerator, (2) probably Barry's most iconic enemy and (3) the start of the build toward a Rogues gang..

I don't think Penguin is a great character, but Robin Lord Taylor is easily giving the best performance. I think he's the only actor coming close to hitting the tone that the show is aiming for.

But Penguin's plan right now is total nonsense. He knows that the Falcone organization thinks he's dead and will kill him for real if they find out he's alive. And he knows that he's such a distinctive figure that people instantly recognize him as the penguin-looking guy that Falcone had killed. Yet his plan is to return to Gotham and make himself AS CONSPICUOUS AS POSSIBLE, taking a job at a mob-owned restaurant where wiseguys are in and out, literally, all the time? To top it off, he orchestrates a plan to to make himself even MORE VISIBLE by becoming the manager of said restaurant? What?

It would be something Penguin would do before being savvy enough to know better, though. The whole jist of his character right now is he's equal parts naive, ambitious and dangerous.

And yea, I didn't expect Penguin of all characters to be the best thing about this show so far.

"Viper" was probably the most complete episode of GOTHAM yet. Pretty much all the disparate plot threads were either centered on the Viper case or at least intersected with it. Very little was happening in a vacuum, as opposed to most episodes where everything seems to be happening in its own little world. Maybe they're getting closer to figuring this thing out.

Penguin can't kill Fish soon enough, though. Her scenes always stop the show dead in its tracks for me.

And I kinda hate that Lil Wayne is already some sort of preternatural junior detective. It's been 5 or 6 episodes now, and I have yet to see him display anything resembling a genuine emotional reaction to his situation. The cops-and-crooks aspect of the show might work itself out eventually, but I can't see myself ever getting on board with what they're doing with Bruce.

I haven't watched Gotham but might marathon it when the season is over if the feedback is mostly positive.

The Flash I'm not totally sold on.  It's ok, but I can't help but compare it to Arrow which is significantly better.  I do wonder if the season finale will end with some asshole from the EPA going to their science prison and setting all the bad guys they have trapped down there free when they demand it be shut off.

William Atherton has nothing going on.

I have now seen all but this past Monday's episode of Gotham. While there are some frustrating elements to the show, I think their attempts at building season-long arcs like this perceived war among the American's underground is enough to keep me interested for a few more episode. Jada Pinkett Smith is just chewing up scenery with her version of villainy mustache twirling.

Also, I really wonder if they're not doing enough to make Jim Gordon interesting. I like McKenzie as an actor, but he seems to be playing the character as a single note thus far and as a boy scout. I think the audience knows and needs for there to be something more there.

The Fish character is just really superfluous with TWO mob families in the show, and Penguin basically having the same goal as her.  She is nearly as useless as Selina(I'm sorry, CAT).  Also, why the fuck does she talk like Eartha Kitt all the time?

Watched all three episodes of The Flash last night. I don't really have any mohair complaints outside of a few fanboy-ish ones like the costume being so damn dark. As a Wally West-Flash fan, I've never been a big fan of Barry Allen, but Grant Gustin is doing a damn fine job with the character and making him very likeable.

Still iffy on the science team, though. Getting Vibe and Killer Frost down the line seems like something that needs to happen, IMO. One thing that kinda bothers me is that the "meta-human" explanation feels too much like the Bang-babies from Dakota(maybe they'll find some way to get Static in there, he could do with some exposure).

All in all, it definitely has me interested, especially with the Rogues possibly coming soon.

Watched all three episodes of The Flash last night. I don't really have any mohair complaints outside of a few fanboy-ish ones like the costume being so damn dark. As a Wally West-Flash fan, I've never been a big fan of Barry Allen, but Grant Gustin is doing a damn fine job with the character and making him very likeable.

Still iffy on the science team, though. Getting Vibe and Killer Frost down the line seems like something that needs to happen, IMO. One thing that kinda bothers me is that the "meta-human" explanation feels too much like the Bang-babies from Dakota(maybe they'll find some way to get Static in there, he could do with some exposure).

All in all, it definitely has me interested, especially with the Rogues possibly coming soon.

No possibly about it. Next week we get Heat Wave and Captain Cold, and I don't see how you do those two without Len doing a union membership drive.