DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING PICTURES

That gimmick lasted about five minutes and then they made him a comedy joke for the G1 and we know the rest after that. I like to assume that's what he looks like again these days not having a job in the business. He has to be by far one of their biggest failures in the system. I guess he's an amateur wrestling trainer or something now.

Edited by Ryan

19 hours ago, D.Z said:

Mitsuhide Hirasawa aka Captain New Japan. Read he got fired for gambling too much, I might be misremembering though.

Nope, you remember correctly.  Gambling is largely illegal in Japan.

There was a story going around that he had a serious issue and owed large sums to organized crime types but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I was kinda interested in his Saito character, but, as said, that lasted a hot minute before he became a comedy goof.  I really loathed Captain New Japan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Nope, you remember correctly.  Gambling is largely illegal in Japan.

There was a story going around that he had a serious issue and owed large sums to organized crime types but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

I was kinda interested in his Saito character, but, as said, that lasted a hot minute before he became a comedy goof.  I really loathed Captain New Japan.

I kind of understood that Tadao Yasuda had a gambling problem or had a gambling problem gimmick. Was that in fact true or am I misremembering?

Yasuda's gambling debts were real and were spun into an angle.

He had such a weird career. He was a fairly successful sumo wrestler without actually making it to the top ranks, then became basically a nothing guy on the lower card in New Japan for years. Then he won one shootfight when he was already getting too old for this shit and suddenly Inoki being Inoki he is a big star for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ashura Hara was another gambling victim IIRC

EDIT: Yep. Wiki says Baba fired him in '88 for his massive debts right before the World's Strongest Tag League started. He took a break then started for SWS and WAR.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

There was this one job guy in WCW with a HUGE gambling problem.  Like it was his whole life.  His name is on the tip of my tongue though...

His name was Jeff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

I kind of understood that Tadao Yasuda had a gambling problem or had a gambling problem gimmick. Was that in fact true or am I misremembering?

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Yasuda's gambling debts were real and were spun into an angle.

And, as if he didn't have enough problems, he supposedly tried to pay off his gambling debts by borrowing from the Yakuza.

That.... seems like a bad idea.