DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/27/2020

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

i am not sure how AEW re-do the 1998 Austin vs Tyson only with Jericho and a bunch of MMA guys is "new and refreshing" when at the same time you have Riddle vs Thatcher in a cage beating the crap out of each other 

That was 22 years ago so it’s not like it’s something that’s been overused.

Fun show.  I find myself much less critical of flaws, or what goes against my tastes, whilst watching on tape delay.  And also in the morning with forwarding options.  Tho, I wasn't ffwding much here.  

I haven't been a fan of the in-match Matt Hardy magic costume changes, but works just fine in a promo setting.  I also really enjoyed that match.  Good pace and nice finish.  Dug the aftermath and seeing the FTR.  Also, dig the acronym name as opposed to 'the Revolt' or 'the Revival'.  The run-in started nicely (if a bit nonsensical) with the classic auto, but felt a bit silly with the timing in-ring.  I do however like the booking here of a competitive rivalry rather than hatred; which I assume will follow.  Would have been fantastic with a roaring crowd.    

Brian Cage looked fierce here.  Nice squash.  Ha, to all the comments about Chatty Tazzy.  I hope with some time he finds a way to channel the extreme asshole in him.  Also, Moxley was pretty solid on commentary here.    

'Roll Model' bit was a a little awkward, but fine.  Britt's character work is obviously what's improved 10 fold since the beginning.  The in-ring was narrowly prime time level, and it's probably what's made her so injury prone.  The injury TV wise won't really hurt the momentum if she's able to assist a new charge whilst wielding the mic.  So here's hoping they give her somebody to 'coach'.  Tho, the women's roster is a bit slim on performers who can consistently put in a grade A performance.

Completely agree with @Oyaji 's comment about Kristi Jaynes not doing moves she's unable to solidly perform.  I would have preferred a more distinct and quicker victory here, but Shida carried her just fine for what is was.  Despite the sunset flip/kick misfire Jaynes showed potential. 

Sabian/Havoc-SCU was solid.  Sabian and Havoc may be better as a team than singles.  I'm not entirely sold on them, but let's see where they take it.  SCU is feeling like a dead gimmick at this point.  I hope they can bounce Scorpio Sky back.  I don't like saying something so simple, and so often overused, as a 'heel turn', but a fresh coat of paint is needed.

Skimmed the Battle Royal.  Didn't find much to concentrate my interests on.  I would have liked to have seen Santana and Ortiz make a stronger impression on OC.  Seemed a bit weak.  I worry they're getting too comfortable being a pair of goofs rather than toughs.  Some nice gross bumps in the battle royal from Marko and Luther.  I dug the final four and finish.  I'd have prefered to see Jungle Boy a bit more confident about his win tho.  The surprised act came off a bit geeky.  I have no doubt Cody defeats Jack next week, but looking forward to what should be an excellent contest.  Jungle Boy has been consistent from the beginning and no matter the outcome of any match always seems to be pushing forward.  Big things on the way for Jungle Jack.

Inner Circle pep rally was alright.  I didn't follow Vickie Guerrero's WWE run, but seems like she would be an excellent antagonist second for somebody.  Liked her part there. Jake Hager’s poetry was the highlight of the goof off.  Goofy is a bit too prevalent in the booking sauce these days, for my tastes, and the Tyson-led posse seemed to exemplify that tone.  Tho, Jericho's mic work was really good here and leveled up this segment.  Curious where this is going.  Seems like a smart play from AEW as far as main stream press goes, but not sure how you pay it off other than a short knock-out.  That said, I'm curious.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Skimmed the Battle Royal.  Didn't find much to concentrate my interests on.  I would have liked to have seen Santana and Ortiz make a stronger impression on OC.  Seemed a bit weak.  I worry they're getting too comfortable being a pair of goofs rather than toughs.  Some nice gross bumps in the battle royal from Marko and Luther.  I dug the final four and finish.  I'd have prefered to see Jungle Boy a bit more confident about his win tho.  The surprised act came off a bit geeky.  I have no doubt Cody defeats Jack next week, but looking forward to what should be an excellent contest.  Jungle Boy has been consistent from the beginning and no matter the outcome of any match always seems to be pushing forward.  Big things on the way for Jungle Jack.

It would be funny if after all the build up to Cody winning the title and that promo he cut about defending it every week that Jungle Boy upsets him on his first defense. I agree, some of these future defenses may seem like foregone conclusions but it's on Cody to make them believable and I think he can do it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

i am not sure how AEW re-do the 1998 Austin vs Tyson only with Jericho and a bunch of MMA guys is "new and refreshing" when at the same time you have Riddle vs Thatcher in a cage beating the crap out of each other 

That's weird, I didn't see Riddle vs Thatcher on the front page of ESPN.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

It would be funny if after all the build up to Cody winning the title and that promo he cut about defending it every week that Jungle Boy upsets him on his first defense. I agree, some of these future defenses may seem like foregone conclusions but it's on Cody to make them believable and I think he can do it.

I like this idea.  Ha, thanks for planting the seed.  Also, almost forgot about that fantastic Cody promo.

Find a reason to get best friends beefing with Santana and Ortiz. Then you can do Best Friends, OC, Tyson and Belfort against Inner Circle in a 10 man tag. Best Friends and OC can work the bulk of it so it's not a shit show, Tyson and Belfort can come in a couple times for some pre-planned spots they've practiced. Either Tyson KOs somebody to get the win for his team or one of the Best Friends takes a screwjob pin to give IC the win. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m still not sure why anybody would care about an MMA washout, and guy with teeth so bad he can pass for an English man.

An MMA washout? Who are you referring to? Henry Cejudo, the guy who recently retired from MMA while being a two division champion? Vitor Belfort, who was a high profile fighter for most of his career? Rashad Evans, another former UFC champ and UFC hall of famer?

It's an incredibly ignorant comment if you're referring any of the three I just mentioned and I have no idea what the hell someone's teeth have to do with anything.

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

An MMA washout? Who are you referring to? Henry Cejudo, the guy who recently retired from MMA while being a two division champion? Vitor Belfort, who was a high profile fighter for most of his career? Rashad Evans, another former UFC champ and UFC hall of famer?

It's an incredibly ignorant comment if you're referring any of the three I just mentioned and I have no idea what the hell someone's teeth have to do with anything.

I’m clearly talking about Matt “I got my baby crying in the background of all my Instagram Videos” Riddle.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Lets play "Count the WWE References"

1. Cody talking about his past

2. Jericho talking about Tyson turning on him

3. JR mentioning the plexiglass

4. Extreme Hardy

5. ?

They've also referenced DDT, NJPW, and other feds including Hardy's OMEGA indy.  I kinda like how AEW acknowledges the outside world.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m clearly talking about Matt “I got my baby crying in the background of all my Instagram Videos” Riddle.

Washout is a little strong for describing Riddle's departure from MMA and again, why does it matter what's going on in the background of his instagram videos?

I'm not sure there's a WWE wrestler that I have more interest in seeking out the matches of than Matt Riddle.  His natural charisma is on par with the greats.  And his in-ring is spectacular.  That said, I haven't sought out a match in a long while.  Interested in this Thatcher bout.  I dig Thatcher too.  

I just rewatched the Stampede from DoN.  Live I was a bit exhausted (wish they'd cut the Statlander and Spears matches) and I did not love it nor did I much like it.  I did love the Bar scene.  On repeat viewing I enjoyed the entire match.  I even enjoyed the goofy costume change bit.  Matt is ridiculous and I'm coming around to it.  Not so much a gripe, but wish they'd jazzed up the crash pad for the finish.  That said, glad I took another look after the near unanimous praise.    

Agree - the premise of the Revivals debut was a bit stupid.

Good thing they were driving past at the exact time a tag team was getting beaten down by another team.

Is the car park just full of guys in the roster circling waiting for a great opportunity to pull up?

At least they didn't drive in just to run over a bin though...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

He did another reference a couple of months ago as well. So he's quite alright with me. 

The brand is strong

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wonder what the low rider was in reference to.

At first I thought it was Deuce & Domino making their way into the building.

I was wondering that too. If anything, I think it might be a little foreshadowing (or, a red herring). Cody's the only other guy who drove in there in a black pickup, right? Maybe we get a Cody/FTR stable managed by Arn and Tully? I feel just awful saying it because I know Spears is busting his ass out there, but Tully is being kinda wasted on him. I guess he'd do OK with the group, but it does invite a lot of unflattering comparisons to your Paul Romas, Mark Jindraks, etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

The brand is strong

I was wondering that too. If anything, I think it might be a little foreshadowing (or, a red herring). Cody's the only other guy who drove in there in a black pickup, right? Maybe we get a Cody/FTR stable managed by Arn and Tully? I feel just awful saying it because I know Spears is busting his ass out there, but Tully is being kinda wasted on him. I guess he'd do OK with the group, but it does invite a lot of unflattering comparisons to your Paul Romas, Mark Jindraks, etc.

The fourth guy could be very questionable part of that group. But the possibility of FTR “Stinging” The Bucks, and then Cody doing it later is such a high possibility. When FTR turns on the bucks they shouldn’t align them with Arn immediately afterwards. The Cody & FTR group should come together in one of those moments similar to how ECW reunited on RAW in the early 2000s. It was like a lightbulb lit up in everybody’s head as soon as all the wrestler stopped in that ring. That’s what they should go for. 

Also if FTR stands for “Fuck The Rest”, then why not go with that for the group name? Some of his detractors see Cody as a very selfish promoter anyway. “Fuck The Rest” would be a way to play it up. Maybe Cage can join them, so we’d have the meeting between FTR & FTW.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

The fourth guy could be very questionable part of that group. But the possibility of FTR “Stinging” The Bucks, and then Cody doing it later is such a high possibility. When FTR turns on the bucks they shouldn’t align them with Arn immediately afterwards. The Cody & FTR group should come together in one of those moments similar to how ECW reunited on RAW in the early 2000s. It was like a lightbulb lit up in everybody’s head as soon as all the wrestler stopped in that ring. That’s what they should go for. 

Dude, hell yes. All of them slowly turn around... It doesn't come up very often because of all the obvious flaws and missteps of the Invasion, but thats legitimately one of my favorite things to ever air on Raw. It's the slow turn and like you said, boom-  the lightbulb. I hesitate to use the word because of the way it's normally used now with regard to WWE, but for a young ECW fan, it was a great moment. They're not shy about a little nod to the past here or there (Tyson last night, for example) so I'm really, really hoping it goes down like that. Plus, it's only a handful of dudes as opposed to the whole ECW roster, so I don't think it would even come to mind for most people. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caley said:

Because THAT's a great barometer of how good/important something is...

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/28881778/report-former-patriots-te-rob-gronkowski-close-deal-wwe

That's cool. I'm sure signing Gronkowski got them the type of exposure they wanted, much like this angle did for AEW with Tyson and Jericho. So, yeah, that IS a great barometer of how good/important this is, because it was designed specifically for this reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

They've also referenced DDT, NJPW, and other feds including Hardy's OMEGA indy.  I kinda like how AEW acknowledges the outside world.

I don't mind all of that. It's just the New York stuff that seemed a bit much last night. And I felt like picking them all out for no good reason. 

Riddle should still be on my shitlist for that 2x speed match he had against Gargano or somebody back when (Matt D wrote "tell us how you really feel" to me after I trashed it haha), but that cage match idea is too goofy not to revisit. I'm coming back to it later on tonight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Cody did extend the four fingers for an awful long time during that promo. Must be happening. What better way for the ultra babyface to turn heel than shit on his dad's legacy and prop up his dad's rival's group. FOURTUNE 2.0, bb. And then we can fully accept our hatred of the tattoo as a complete feeling and not a compartmentalized feeling of Cody. I like it. Fuck over a babyface world champion too by weaseling his way out of the stip. Go full bore Triple H booking, BURY all of the young guys, carry a sledge hammer, and be in a shitty 4 horsemen stable? Ah hell yeah.

• Like 1