DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

6 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I’m not convinced this is a problem of any real breadth or depth in society at large, but keeping it to the Lars thing, I really don’t think it applies at all. Dirt sheet writers are behaving like they always do, and Twitter is being Twitter. Who is getting rich because of this? Famous? 

In general? Right wing pundits who are very concerned about free speech. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I’m not convinced this is a problem of any real breadth or depth in society at large, but keeping it to the Lars thing, I really don’t think it applies at all. Dirt sheet writers are behaving like they always do, and Twitter is being Twitter. Who is getting rich because of this? Famous? 

Furthermore, this wasn’t Lars’ worst moment, but chronic behavior. And no one is denying him the right to do better; many are simply denying that he’s demonstrated any movement in that direction. 

Point being, even if there is a slipper slope here whereby people are unfairly canceled, Lars is not presently an example. 

I agree on Sullivan, and as said- the things we see before is likely proof he hasn't changed. The fact he did it chronically, up to 3 months before signing with WWE...and even Tweeted a few weeks ago "what are you easily triggered snowflakes complaining over today?" which makes it unlikely he's learned anything or changed just from wording...he's not an example.

But the whole thing is- this isn't exactly a "new" thing for it. We've seen multiple wrestlers- Titus O'Neil, Apollo Crews, Tye Dillinger, and the list goes on and on for more, who were seen as having made Tweets in the past that got them into this boat...and outside the wrestling bubble it happens very often, and very quickly at that right down to "the second you become remotely famous, there's people ready to do this" [like last year when a Braves pitcher threw one very good game and before he even got off the mound, people had fully scoured his Twitter feed and were there to attack.]  

Sullivan's not the right example, but even Sullivan represents an example- because we could have had this apology and news months ago if they had managed to get their shit together and run it like they did this week. The way it was run when the news leaked in December was "they're making a new article for every post this guy made", which was clickbait at best, "twenty bucks says the guy running this site was on the same forum and has a vendetta against him, so he's trying to kill his career to get even" at worst.

2 hours ago, Brisco said:

The Starrcade match is my favorite Luger/Flair encounter. Absolute perfection!

For somebody who was booked to lose, and lose all his momentum he built up to that match just so he can put over Flair, he was never more motivated to bust his ass on that night.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That match and the GAB match (despite the finish) were so fun for me to go back and watch as a teenager after having grown up with them on Nitro (separately, for the most part) and then seeing them in The Magnificent 7 together at the very tail end of WCW. Flair ranting and going wild about Luger's body fat percentage 

Edited a word

I always got a laugh out of Flair being so excited to be part of Team Package. I remember he said something like, "I've been a 16 time world champion, kissed all the girls and made em cry, have 4 beautiful children, made millions but nooooowwwwww, I'm part of Team Package! THat's right! Team Package Yeah!" and my friends and I just cracked the fuck up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey, more Lars Sullivan stuff, courtesy of Bryan Alvarez

"He talked to Big E and I believe all the members of the New Day. WWE has been aware of this forever. This was nothing new and he’s apologized to them for it in the past and it was considered a dead issue, but it has come up now twice in the last six months. So this time he did, in fact, address it with that statement.”

Then why would Big E and others say what they said on Twitter in the last couple days? They could have easily have said "he talked to us about it and we're cool" or whatever.

I think the fact that it just came out that it was addressed and considered a non-issue before it broke in December should be reason enough for people to pump the brakes with their hot takes on whether or not Lars is an example of someone that can grow and change as a human being. No one on this board could possibly have all the information.

Edited by MORELOCK
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

I think the fact that it just came out that it was addressed and considered a non-issue before it broke in December should be reason enough for people to pump the brakes with their hot takes in whether or not Lars is an example of someone that can grow and change as a human being. No one on this board could possibly have all the information.

Your words of caution are worth considering.

On the other hand: Bryan Alvarez. Yuck. 

1) Starrcast tries to have a screening of the Bret/Magee match, WWE uses the idea

2) Charlie Ebersol tries to buy the XFL IP to start a new league, WWE uses the idea

3) Starrcast tries to screen Shawn/Hall ladder match with commentary from both, WWE uses the idea

Quick, someone start a promotion with logical booking, a fresh format/presentation, great characters utilized to the best of their ability, and coherent angles, with no authority figures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

What's that Starrcast?

I’ll laugh if they made a last minute documentary that features canned interviews about Tom McGee by Bruce Prichard, Rikishi, and Steve Lombardi.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Do you really think that joking about triggering people and being outraged is indicative of him trying to be better?

Calling someone a "snowflake" is not proof of anything. 

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Do you not get it? Issuing a canned, corporate response is not saying anything meaningful. It's in fact even worse because it's just a hollow statement that flies in the face of anyone who was offended.

This isn't someone trying to work on being a better person. Do you not see that?

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, this ended exactly the way I said it would. 

You already made up your mind before he issued any kind of a statement. You were never going to give him a chance anyways. 

For the record, I don't give a shit about Lars Sullivan or what happens to him. But refusing to give someone a chance to atone for past regressions is some Mike Cernovich-level bullshit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

For the record, I don't give a shit about Lars Sullivan or what happens to him. But refusing to give someone a chance to atone for past regressions is some Mike Cernovich-level bullshit.

Ah yes, the "racists and the people who don't want to put up with racists are both equally bad" argument.

No, refusing to engage with people who have repeatedly whipped up fervor that often turns into real life violence against black and brown people is NOT, in any way, any shape, any form, on the level of anything that Mike Cernovich has done, which might I remind everyone, includes such things as rape apologia. 

No one has to forgive Lars for shit. He should be a better person because he wants to be, not to convince people that he's really changed. That goes for everyone out there who has done or said shit that is over the line, that is essentially an attack on someone else. 

Now, in the spirit of coming back together in friendship and in not making terrible false equivalences, here's 1992 Yokozuna murking a dude.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1