DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

I don't know if I'm allowed to post anymore videos, even if they are of the wrestling variety. I suppose Rippa will tell me yay or nay. Hopefully, I don't get banned from ringside again. Anyway, one of my favorite squashes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Godfrey said:

That Contra Unit clip is awesome and reminded me of how fun a compact but messy hour of wrestling really is. Plus MLW is pushing LA Park to the moon when he wrestles like NWO Hogan who can hit a topé. It’s baffling and really rad.

I didn't start watching wrestling until 1997 so I missed the era of RAW when it was one hour. Was it structured well? NXT is a great hour of television. It flies by. (For some reason Alvarez bitches about episodes that go like ten minutes over and I don't even notice the extra few minutes, tbh.) The five episodes of MLW Fusion that I've watched so far are an hour and they flow well. Pro Wrestling Ohio was an hour. The local Toledo promotion runs an hour tv show. ROH is an hour. WCW Worldwide was an hour. I seem to remember Saturday Night being an hour (could be wrong on this one) so all this evidence seems to suggest an hour to maaaaaybe two hours is ideal. Sucks that we can never go back to shorter RAW episodes. I'm really hoping they don't add another hour to Smackdown. 

Sadly, a lot of indies seem to be running longer too. Maybe this isn't a new trend but I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the indie scene until recently. I know IWA-MS used to run marathons and I always just chalked that up as part of the charm but if I have to split a show up into multiple viewing sessions, I'm less apt to watch it. I'm still playing catch-up on Wrestlemania week shows. 

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, it's hard because everything is political, and you can't get away from it, but of course we are trying to avoid it here at the same time.

LOLOLOLOLOLMAOLOLMMFATFOROFLZLMOLLMABENROFLZBURGERLOLOLOLLMAO

This shit can't go two pages without politics coming up...

People used to say that 90 minutes was the ideal length for a show, but there were very few of them, likely due to the way TV scheduling works. The WMC Show was 90 minutes, but that is so often the exception to the rule. 

Defiant's weekly TV show is just on YouTube. It's theoretically an hour long every week. Sometimes an hour is 70 or 80+ minutes, sometimes it's less than 40. But that's the thing with your TV not having to fit a TV schedule. Less money, more freedom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I didn't start watching wrestling until 1997 so I missed the era of RAW when it was one hour. Was it structured well? NXT is a great hour of television. It flies by. (For some reason Alvarez bitches about episodes that go like ten minutes over and I don't even notice the extra few minutes, tbh.) The five episodes of MLW Fusion that I've watched so far are an hour and they flow well. Pro Wrestling Ohio was an hour. The local Toledo promotion runs an hour tv show. ROH is an hour. WCW Worldwide was an hour. I seem to remember Saturday Night being an hour (could be wrong on this one) so all this evidence seems to suggest an hour to maaaaaybe two hours is ideal. Sucks that we can never go back to shorter RAW episodes. I'm really hoping they don't add another hour to Smackdown. 

Sadly, a lot of indies seem to be running longer too. Maybe this isn't a new trend but I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the indie scene until recently. I know IWA-MS used to run marathons and I always just chalked that up as part of the charm but if I have to split a show up into multiple viewing sessions, I'm less apt to watch it. I'm still playing catch-up on Wrestlemania week shows. 

MLW is quietly becoming one of my favorite shows to watch. Contra Unit is fucking awesome and Jacob Fatu rules the world. The show actually feels different from a lot of the crap that WWE puts out there on the regular. And maybe it's just from having my brain turned into mush from 3 hours of Raw all the time but one hour flies by and leaves me wanting more. The toothpaste is out of the tube and we can't go back, but man it would be nice

• Like 1

I think most people can really only sit through an hour before starting to lose focus. Two hours with good pacing maybe. With smartphones and all the options available it's easy to shift your attention to anything else once you start to lose focus. 

I would think a 90 minute weekly show with a 30 minute "pre-game" before hand would fill 2 hours nicely without getting stale. Use the 30 minute lead-in to announce the matches for the show, maybe have a couple backstage interviews, recap the previous week's show then the last 90 minutes is the regular show. 

• Like 2

two-hour shows are the ideal wrestling show. But they’re really like 1 hour & 44 minutes. So 30 minutes should be devoted to competitive mid to upper mid-card matches. 20 minutes should be devoted to promo time, and angles. The rest enhancement matches for your top stars, and new acts you’re showcasing. If you got a small crew then an hour would be better. I mean a lot of those old JCP shows suffer a bit from having a small crew on a two-hour show. Where you have guys coming out to have multiple promo segments on one show, and jobbers being recycled under different cheap outfits. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This is going to be a minority opinion, but I prefer Ole/Arn and Bobby/Stan Midnights squashes to Road Warriors squashes for whatever reason.

I think it's because both teams would pretty much dissect their opponents in really short order, and I've always liked teams that look like they have a clear gameplan for getting in the ring and winning with isolation tactics, diversionary tactics, and crisp double-team moves. 

I obviously also love squashes full of power moves, though, but I always think of singles acts to watch for those before I get to tag team acts.

I actually loved Ole/Arn squashes too. They'd just break a dude down and then pin him. I loved how it was logical and made sense. They'd beat the piss out of a guy's arm, Arn would hammerlock slam him a bunch, Ole would hit the flying knee off the top into the shoulder and then they'd clamp on an armbar for the submission. As a kid, that's what seemed real to me because it was like those guys had a gameplan and were way better than the guys they were fighting.

• Like 6

I probably sound like Old Man Cornette yelling at a cloud but I always liked when it seemed like a wrestler had a game plan. I think that's why I was more of a Bret fan than a Shawn fan and why Flair/Vader is one of my favorite matches. Flair/Vader was different than his other matches because it felt like Flair went in with a gameplan of "well, I can outlast this big dude and then break him down at some point and then wait for a mistake." Same thing with Bret/Diesel from Survivor Series.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Game Show TV has a classic TNA show that I just randomly caught and I just gotta say...AMW/New Church was such a fucking good feud. 

I loved the New Church's theme. Reminded me of Vampiro's WCW theme which was also one of my favorites

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Game Show TV has a classic TNA show that I just randomly caught and I just gotta say...AMW/New Church was such a fucking good feud. 

AMW were always on the money. Even near the end of the Asylum days they were still producing quality tag feuds with a lame duck tag team like The Naturals. I’m going to put most of the success on James Storm due to his high tag team batting average throughout his TNA run.

• Like 4