DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

13 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

That's all it needs to be. Muck raking from years ago is almost as shitty as making the comments themselves, I'd hate to be held accountable for some of the boneheaded things I said and did when I was younger

He was in his mid 20s. No excuse for it.

• Like 2

This is going to be a minority opinion, but I prefer Ole/Arn and Bobby/Stan Midnights squashes to Road Warriors squashes for whatever reason.

I think it's because both teams would pretty much dissect their opponents in really short order, and I've always liked teams that look like they have a clear gameplan for getting in the ring and winning with isolation tactics, diversionary tactics, and crisp double-team moves. 

I obviously also love squashes full of power moves, though, but I always think of singles acts to watch for those before I get to tag team acts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bazzil said:

Get woke. Nothing short of ruining this guys career over dumb shit he said years ago is acceptable.

I wouldn't have to worry about anyone digging into my history be that an employer or whoever because at no point was I ever a bigot and a homophobe nor did i ever attack various religious beliefs. He wasnt 15. He wasnt 21. He was in his mid 20s, he is only saying that's not who he is anymore to placate people like you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

You already made up your mind before he issued any kind of a statement. You were never going to give him a chance anyways.

Why should say, someone like me, give Lars or anyone like him a chance? If he had the chance, he'd probably do unspeakable things to me and get away them within our legal system.

If he's willing to say these things just a few years ago, I hope it can be understood why I'm not comfortable with him or anyone who gives him a pass, even if that's their intention.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Why should say, someone like me, give Lars or anyone like him a chance? If he had the chance, he'd probably do unspeakable things to me and get away them within our legal system.

If he's willing to say these things just a few years ago, I hope it can be understood why I'm not comfortable with him or anyone who gives him a pass, even if that's their intention.

Don't you know it's common for people in their mid-20s to ironically endorse heavy white power songs with a bunch of Seig Heiling? Who among us can say we haven't been there? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I think reasonable people can have differing values on the concept of forgiveness and penance. 

There are people on this board who would run their Republic of Virtue like Robespierre or Saint-Just and others who may be too forgiving if there is no suffering involved with the penance. 

I think I could be accused of the latter.

I get both perspectives and I just hope if a poster errs on the more forgiving side of the ledger the worst they’ll be called is naive and not a co-conspirator. 

'You have to punish not only the traitors, but even those who are indifferent; you have to punish whoever is passive in the republic, and who does nothing for it.” - Saint-Just

What Sorceress Knight said resonates with me. Robespierre and his homies never saw themselves under the guillotine until they did. 

I don’t think this wrestler is maybe the best hill to die on but I think it’s been a useful discussion for the most part. 

The WWE sucks with or without him. ?

Edited by The Magnificent 7

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ah yes, the "racists and the people who don't want to put up with racists are both equally bad" argument.

No, refusing to engage with people who have repeatedly whipped up fervor that often turns into real life violence against black and brown people is NOT, in any way, any shape, any form, on the level of anything that Mike Cernovich has done, which might I remind everyone, includes such things as rape apologia. 

I never said that racists and the people who won't tolerate them are equally bad, so you can knock that shit off right now. And I was referring specifically to Cernovich dredging up bad jokes that James Gunn made about molesting children 10 years ago, had already apologized for, and corrected his behavior.

16 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I wasn't gonna mention it til I read this but yeah, being the B in LGBTQ and seeing some of the homophobic shit he said along with the racist shit, my bar is a little fucking high for atonement. Thing is, I shouldn't have to say that I have a vested reason to be offended by raving hateful assholes, and neither should anybody else. 

Goddamnit I'm gonna go make Sid in Fire Pro to take my mind off this shit. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, mattdangerously said:

I never said that racists and the people who won't tolerate them are equally bad, so you can knock that shit off right now. And I was referring specifically to Cernovich dredging up bad jokes that James Gunn made about molesting children 10 years ago, had already apologized for, and corrected his behavior.

Of course that situation isn't a 1:1 parallel with this. There's enough lived in, hateful stuff in what Lars has said that nobody really has a reason to give him a pass. People can grow and change, sure. But nobody owes him the benefit of the doubt. It's not like most people talking the kind of shit he was have gotten any less inflammatory and hateful over the last few years. 

I'm not against boycotting and shaming to socially enforce that clear, overt racists don't get a free pass and top of their field jobs in the public eye. People need to see that some shit is unacceptable. People can "slippery slope" that till the cows come home, but I'm skeptical of anyone who's so worried about that slope that they'd take up for this dipshit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

OK, so I read your post again, and it was quite vague about the comparison, but even allowing for this comparison that you clarify you are making in this post, it's still a bad one. 

Cernovich digging up a James Gunn tweet-joke about pedophilia has the context of Cernovich being a rape-supporting bad actor with a history of bad actor-type stunts. Gunn also isn't a pedophile who has defended pedophilia.

People pointing out Sullivan's MANY MANY posts on the sorts of right-wing hate boards that drum up actual violence because he believes in violence against minorities is, you know, not even in the same league or ballpark. It's barely in the same sport.

So, nah, I'm not going to knock any "shit" off because I don't see that I've done anything but argue that you have made a completely unfair comparison between a racist troll and people who are against racism. You, on the other hand, could maybe admit that your equivalence lacks context and in fact does equate anti-racists pointing out a steady stream of racist vitriol from one person to Mike racist-and-sexist-agitator Cernovich and apologize for not being more mindful about what people who are at risk of violence against them for their skin color might think about Sullivan or about the comparison between any of them who spotlighted Sullivan's online comments to Mike Cernovich.

Or you could triple down on this frankly facile comparison, which I really hope you don't do because I think that this isn't really a reasonable comparison in any meaningful way. 

And I mean, it's not a comparison even worth making unless you are deliberately ignoring any context or unless you really want to be one of those "both sides are bad, be an 'open-minded centrist' like me" types, though I am willing to admit that there could be other reasons for making that comparison that you made that I just can't fathom because of my own lack of experience or cultural understanding, and also, you haven't ever seemed like a "bad actor" type in any of your posts ever. I just am surprised at this sort of thing coming from you, that's all.  

On another note, I generally do appreciate that for the most part, people have been open in talking about this stuff and that we've done pretty well with it, I think, and I appreciate the mods for giving us that leeway.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 5

Hey has anyone here ever posted anything on Twitter tagging Paul Heyman's handle? I posted a few pics from a 1987 magazine and tagged him last night, and so far today it has gotten over 100 likes/RT's on just a little over 400 impressions.

But almost every one of those accounts has less than 1000 tweets, and under 100 followers/following each, and the content of those pages consist of mostly the same Retweeted content, mostly tagging Heyman's account or other news related to either Paul Heyman or MMA. 

Most of the accounts at least have photos and profile descriptions, so while it doesn't surprise me at all that Heyman - or who ever he hired to be his social media manager - has a shitload of bot accounts, I have to admit the photo/profile step is a little more effort than most botfarms put together. 

Not a super big deal, but just finding it funny that even in 2019 Paul Heyman still cant help but be a little sketchy in his promotional efforts and gaming social media like that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

OK, so I read your post again, and it was quite vague about the comparison, but even allowing for this comparison, it's still a bad one. 

Cernovich digging up a James Gunn tweet-joke about pedophilia has the context of Cernovich being a rape-supporting bad actor with a history of bad actor-type stunts. Gunn also isn't a pedophile.

People pointing out Sullivan's MANY MANY posts on the sorts of right-wing hate boards that drum up actual violence because he believes in violence against minorities is, you know, not even in the same league or ballpark. It's barely in the same sport.

So, nah, I'm not going to knock any "shit" off because I don't see that I've done anything but argue that you have made a completely unfair comparison between a racist troll and people who are against racism. You, on the other hand, could maybe admit that your equivalence lacks context and in fact does equate anti-racists pointing out a steady stream of racist vitriol fro one person to Mike racist-and-sexist agitator Cernovich and apologize for not really caring about what people who are at risk of violence against them for their skin color might think. Or you could triple down on this frankly facile comparison, which I really hope you don't do because I think that this isn't really a reasonable comparison in any meaningful way. 

And I mean, it's not a comparison even worth making unless you are deliberately ignoring any context or unless you really want to be one of those "both sides are bad, be an 'open-minded centrist' like me" types, though I am willing to admit that there could be other reasons for making that comparison that you made that I just can't fathom because of my own lack of experience or cultural understanding, and also, you haven't ever seemed like a "bad actor" type in any of your posts ever. I just am surprised at this sort of thing coming from you, that's all.  

Nope, you're right. The Cernovich comparison was bullshit, and I apologize for making it. I did not take into account that he acts in bad faith when he pulls his stunts, and I was definitely not trying to imply that anyone pissed at Lars is acting in bad faith, though I see now that it came out that way. I'm a dumbass.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I don't know if I'm allowed to post anymore videos, even if they are of the wrestling variety. I suppose Rippa will tell me yay or nay. Hopefully, I don't get banned from ringside again. Anyway, one of my favorite squashes.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1