DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

Since 2013 a few friends of mine have been talking about running a lucha show in Mississippi. Well May 4th it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G5g9JFTsBY&list=PLmuE7jNxm3yTzk6IRp6pzrMv-QGP0MWDs

There is a playlist of the entire show.

Main event was Matt Cross vs Ricky Reyes for the Hoodmark Lucha Libre title.

As of right now they plan on running 1 or 2 shows a year.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Game Show TV has a classic TNA show that I just randomly caught and I just gotta say...AMW/New Church was such a fucking good feud. 

They seems to play a ton of those Impact in 60 shows every weekend. Always fun to catch something unexpected once in a while. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I probably sound like Old Man Cornette yelling at a cloud but I always liked when it seemed like a wrestler had a game plan. I think that's why I was more of a Bret fan than a Shawn fan and why Flair/Vader is one of my favorite matches. Flair/Vader was different than his other matches because it felt like Flair went in with a gameplan of "well, I can outlast this big dude and then break him down at some point and then wait for a mistake." Same thing with Bret/Diesel from Survivor Series.

No, I totally get it. As I said in that thread about Bret a few weeks ago, I loved that he would do things like play possum to sucker in his opponent or work body parts with a reason for it (like getting a flash pin by leveraging a bad knee that he'd spent time working throughout the match). One of his great performances IMO is KotR 1993. Not only did he work three different matches with three different guys that were all good in their own way, he sold an injury that he picked up in his match against Mr. Perfect more than it hampered him specifically to sucker Bam Bam in the last match. It's like he put so much thought into every detail so that it would seem as real as possible. You could just lose yourself in his matches for that reason. 

In the comparison to Shawn Michaels, I think HBK was basically the progenitor of your Seth Rollins types who do shit because it looks cool and they can get it in. Not accusing HBK of that because he actually worked matches that made sense, but I feel like his "showstopper" style got taken a bit too much at face value by dudes who loved his work growing up and became wrestlers.

When it comes to Arn Anderson, he was so good at doing that sort of "pure sports" type of work, but also at doing basic morality plays in big matches when the story was more about the interpersonal conflict between wrestlers than it was about winning matches and showing how great an athlete you are in the sport. Everything he does is so smart and makes logical sense all the time. He's become like one of my ten favorite wrestlers to watch, period, just over the past decade or so of watching as much of him in Georgia and in Crockett as I could. 

EDIT: And not necessarily meaning to shit on Seth Rollins, btw. I think he works the style that WWE encourages and executes it exactly as he's meant to. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

In the comparison to Shawn Michaels, I think HBK was basically the progenitor of your Seth Rollins types who do shit because it looks cool and they can get it in. Not accusing HBK of that because he actually worked matches that made sense, but I feel like his "showstopper" style got taken a bit too much at face value by dudes who loved his work growing up and became wrestlers.

Even with that though, I think Shawn was less the progenitor of that type and more the WCW midcard being told "do shit that looks cool, be the car crash to open the hour" types, which a lot of fans then watched and said "THIS. This is what good pro wrestling is", and then proceeded to follow that for the modern indie style.

Shawn 1.0 (pre-back injury) could be like a Rollins type, but Shawn 2.0 (post-back injury) was much more similar to guys like Johnny Gargano, who mix the "they work matches that make sense when it looks so cool...but they do have a flair for the melodramatic and it shows in their matches" as well. 

Percy Watson leaving WWE:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/percy-watson-leaving-wwe-pursue-other-interests-283531

Former WWE wrestler and NXT broadcaster Percy Watson has left the company, first reported by SC Sirens' Casey Michael and confirmed by our Dave Meltzer.

There is no official word as to why Watson quit, but Michael said it was due to Watson (aka Nick McNeil) wanting to go into acting. It has yet to be confirmed whether WWE has granted him a full release.

The 37-year-old was a commentator on NXT TV, 205 Live, Main Event, and Worlds Collide, but with the recent introduction of Beth Phoenix to the NXT team and Aiden English on 205 Live commentary before that, Watson's future in the company was seemingly in doubt.

Watson signed a developmental deal in 2009 and worked in FCW/NXT through 2013. He was part of the season season of NXT under their previous setup, paired with then-WWE wrestler MVP. He did make some appearances on WWE Superstars with Titus O'Neil before returning to NXT for their fifth season. He eventually was released in 2013.

Watson returned to NXT, and eventually WWE, as a commentator in 2016.

It is far far worse

He definitely had CPR performed on him in the ring. 

Sexy Star tweeted that he passed away but that hasn't been confirmed. 

• Sad 1

Sucks... He had a very weird back half of his career, with him always looking to get back under the mask. Going so far as to use the name Silver Kain to get around lucha commission rules. But he was always a solid worker, I would say even the best non-Rey Mysterio luchador. Always giving his all in the ring unlike his more famous brother.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

At a loss for words kind of here.  My friend was at this show.  I hope it doesn't fuck him up too much seeing that.  Absolutely legendary wrestler.  W*ING alumni.  I was always happy to see him on a card.  This sucks.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3

Indeed. Los Cowboys were one of the top tag teams of the 90s. What they could get out of the Headhunters was nothing short of incredible.

• Like 1

If I was a young kid getting into the business today... the last thing I would do is go under the development of the WWE. It would be the longer play- but travelling around and building up your own name is far more valuable in the long term for your marketability. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

If I was a young kid getting into the business today... the last thing I would do is go under the development of the WWE. It would be the longer play- but travelling around and building up your own name is far more valuable in the long term for your marketability. 

I wonder if in this climate say WWE wants to sign you to keep you from signing elsewhere you can probably work around the intellectual property handcuffs 

I don't want to speculate too much, but he looked like the kind of guy who did copious amounts of steroids and what not in the last decade or so compared to before that. RIP regardless.