DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2019 WRESTLING TALK

7 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It's tiresome to hear about how much people don't like the thing in threads that could be for anything else about wrestling and not in the dedicated space to discuss the thing.

It's probably wearing and tiresome just to hear complaining so often. There's cool shit about wrestling that we could be talking about.

For example, Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a gorilla suit. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's probably wearing and tiresome just to hear complaining. There's cool shit about wrestling that we could be talking about.

For example, Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a gorilla suit. 

Actually, cool and entertaining can be applied to a wide swath of things involving Duggan.  He was actually really good and entertainging in hindsight.

• Like 2

I want to talk about how Viceland should get Hoodslam or Chikara to do a TV show, since they're going all the way in on wrestling programming. Who knew this stuff would get better ratings than a weed themed cooking show or another weed themed show or the other one, or a rerun of Ancient Aliens, or...

• Like 4

Fuse should buy rights to Hoodslam and put it on right after back-to-back WTF Baron Davis episodes on Sunday nights.

Basically that would be the best two hours of programming on television. 

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Fuse is still around? Holy shit. The only thing I really remember about Fuse was watching Uranium when I was in high school.

Yeah, not only are they still around, but now they have T-Pain's School of Business and WTF Baron Davis, i.e. two of the best shows on TV today. 

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man, Uranium. What was that poseur host's name again? I think I checked that out just to gawk at her. What can I say, I was in high school too...

Mistress Juliya Chernetsky. She also hosted a Loveline-type call-in show called Slave to the Metal.

She was kinda bitchy the time I met her. My best friend's band, Blind Hate Experiment played the final show at Old Bridge, New Jersey's legendary Birch Hill Nite Club in September 2003. They were opening for 40 Below Summer and Superjoint Ritual. I helped roadie for my friend and also videotaped their shows. Anyway, while we're hanging outside before we could load in, we see Juliya show up. She asks us if we know where the bathrooms are. My friend Mike points to me and says, "My friend will probably let you pee in his mouth if you'd like." She didn't see the humor in it and stormed off.

It feels good to be back.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Random thing I noticed just in the random social media posts of various WWE folks

Of the 8 women in the MITB match - only two of them are on the UK tour

Natalya and Carmella

But Tamina of all people is in RAW women's title matches (clearly because they don't want Lacey losing but still)

(The other women on the tour appear to be: Becky, Charlotte, Lacey, Beth Phoenix, Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan, Asuka, Kairi Sane, IIconics, Zelina Vega and Lana (just in managerial role))

Now it is possible they will fly out for at least TV because otherwise you are going to have the go home show for MITB with basically no participants

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Actually, cool and entertaining can be applied to a wide swath of things involving Duggan.  He was actually really good and entertainging in hindsight.

He was the shit on Harry and the Hendersons

• Haha 1

Superjoint Ritual hahahaha... I saw them live and an out-of-it Anselmo said, and I quote,

"My band's the best fuckin' band in the world and I'm the king of heavy metal!"

Seriously.

They were awful, btw

EDIT to add proper cursing

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lizzy Styles has this spot where she rips her opponent's false eyelashes off. Presumably this is one of those 'relatably painful' Wrestling things, but only for a small portion of the audience.

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Superjoint Ritual hahahaha... I saw them live and an out-of-it Anselmo said, and I quote,

"My band's the best band in the world and I'm the king of heavy metal!"

Seriously.

They were awful, btw

I think he said something similar when my friend's played with them. 

Oddly, whenever I want to see wrestling lately, I go online and watch squash matches. 

Squash matches are so good. I feel like modern wrestling is often so focused on "good matches," which is a term that tends to be narrowly defined as "20+ minute back-and-forth with a few false finishes thrown in for good measure," that the art form of other good matches has sort of been lost. 

Your three-minute squashes. Your nine-minute semi-competitive TV matches (I guess these aren't as hard to come by, but man, when commercial breaks segment them, they certainly feel longer). Your five-minute sprints. Where are my Owen Hart/1-2-3 Kid from KotR '94 matches? Sometimes I want to see dudes throw bombs without a bunch of selling and laying around. A dude like Seth Rollins could honestly benefit from wrestling a few five-minute bombfests on TV, I think. 

I pine for the days of Yokozuna thrust-kicking hapless 195-pound jobbers, I really do. YouTube is truly magical sometimes. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The biggest problem in WWE is that every match is laid out to be a Meltzer epic. More than anything else that's why the product is so stale. People can be like "just push Luke Harper instead of Corbin and everything will be perfect" if they want to, but it really doesn't matter who is pushed and who isn't pushed if the overall product is played out and boring.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oddly, whenever I want to see wrestling lately, I go online and watch squash matches. 

Squash matches are so good. I feel like modern wrestling is often so focused on "good matches," which is a term that tends to be narrowly defined as "20+ minute back-and-forth with a few false finishes thrown in for good measure," that the art form of other good matches has sort of been lost. 

Your three-minute squashes. Your nine-minute semi-competitive TV matches (I guess these aren't as hard to come by, but man, when commercial breaks segment them, they certainly feel longer). Your five-minute sprints. Where are my Owen Hart/1-2-3 Kid from KotR '94 matches? Sometimes I want to see dudes throw bombs without a bunch of selling and laying around. A dude like Seth Rollins could honestly benefit from wrestling a few five-minute bombfests on TV, I think. 

I pine for the days of Yokozuna thrust-kicking hapless 195-pound jobbers, I really do. YouTube is truly magical sometimes. 

Contra Unit (MLW) did a modern-day squash with Cornette on commentary recently.   Cornette is the best squash match commentator in history and you could tell for one small moment, he was truly happy.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

See, that was awesome. A dope thrust kick, a killer Samoan drop, and a spike to the face, and we're out in four minutes. Fuck. Yes. 

EDIT: I realized that I no-sold the post-match beatdown with the moonsault and the fire paper to the face, so excuse me. All that, and we're out in six minutes. Fuck. Yes. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Please, the negativity in the WWE threads doesn't hold a candle to the.... what, three topics we've had on AEW now?

One person that got Cash'd ruined the previous AEW threads. I'm pretty sure that person was actually Vince Russo. How else can one explain someone defending 2000 WCW and Dixie Carter TNA?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alstein said:

Contra Unit (MLW) did a modern-day squash with Cornette on commentary recently.   Cornette is the best squash match commentator in history and you could tell for one small moment, he was truly happy.

That clip was beautiful. It had everything I could possibly want: big guys crushing people, spikes, fireballs, Cornette on commentary...I need to catch up on MLW. I've watched the first 3 episodes of Fusion but have them all saved in a playlist on Youtube. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1