DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

4 minutes ago, nate said:

If there is no involvement from a heel authority figure in their angles, I'm 1000% all in.

If anyone seems in tune enough not to do the heel authority figure, I think it would be Cody & the Bucks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nate said:

If there is no involvement from a heel authority figure in their angles, I'm 1000% all in.

i only regret that this webforum's coding limits the number of likes I can give this post to 1

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Speaking of Jericho, what are the chances he becomes a part of this?

Grain of salt, and it could be about anything else but this, but Jericho's personal graphic designer tweeted out a clock that's counting down to the end of the month.

I'm not a Fulham fan so I'm no expert on the matter, but I do know Tony Khan is the Khan that took a hands-on role with them starting with when they were in the 2nd division of English football and now they're in Premier League so I'd assume he hired the right guys for the job there and that takes money so clearly they're not afraid to spend. I think he wouldn't be getting involved in this if he wasn't prepared to spend money and listen to the wrestler's (ie the Elite) opinions. Even if it ends up being a bust I don't think we'll be looking back and thinking they didn't make a real go of it. I think that's what I've been craving as a wrestling fan: someone to come in and actually make a captivating product.

• Like 3

I have to say this though. If they get on a decent television station, there will be rating expectation. 

And I’ll say it right now— if they produce a simplistic TV show focused on great matches and the same tired “I’m the best I want the belt” storylines, they will fail. People will not tune in to watch that every week.

They really need to make the TV show compelling and must see every week, while also pleasing the hardcore fanbase by delivering quality wrestling. Kahn strikes me as a guy who will understand that. 

I wonder if he’ll pony up the dough to go LIVE.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At this point, I think Jericho does whatever he wants to do as long as he isn't permanently tied down somewhere.

Yeah, but he usually doesn't so obviously telegraph his moves/appearances. 

If he's trying to make it look like he's part of this, I would generally lean toward predicting that he probably isn't part of it.

20 minutes ago, Thibs said:

I have to say this though. If they get on a decent television station, there will be rating expectation. 

And I’ll say it right now— if they produce a simplistic TV show focused on great matches and the same tired “I’m the best I want the belt” storylines, they will fail. People will not tune in to watch that every week.

They really need to make the TV show compelling and must see every week, while also pleasing the hardcore fanbase by delivering quality wrestling. Kahn strikes me as a guy who will understand that. 

I wonder if he’ll pony up the dough to go LIVE.

My dude, they booked a murder mystery on BTE and had the victim return with an army of ghost penises at their PPV.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, EVA said:

My dude, they booked a murder mystery on BTE and had the victim return with an army of ghost penises at their PPV.

Hahaha well you got me there. I was there live and witnessed the ghost penises.

But there’s a difference between doing that and writing two hours of compelling TV. 

Here’s another question/concern.

It sounds like these potential networks that are interested, are so becuase of how successful All In was and the idea of getting that kind of production/crowd on TV.

So how much pressure is there going to be on them to pull those kind of houses in a regular basis and can they realistically do it ?

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I'm in Jacksonville and the day they're doing the big rally at the stadium is the same day WWE is running a live (televised) Smackdown literally across the parking lot, at the arena. Perfect timing: the rally starts at 5pm, the Smackdown is at 8pm. There will be tons of fans in that area. I'm going to the Smackdown so I will for sure head across to the stadium a little earlier. Also would love to be a fly-on-the-wall at WWE's shows this weekend when they tell all Smackdown talent they're forbidden from heading across the street before work. 

Is there any expectations about where Double or Nothing will be held? Jacksonville seems like too small of a market to do a show like that. The name and imagery implies Vegas but All-In could have fallen under that umbrella as well and it was in Chicago.

2 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

I wonder if AEW is doing to let the wrestlers wrestle in other smaller indies like in the old days of TNA?  I'm guessing the big stars like Cody and the Bucks won't. I also wonder if the roster will reach 1998 WCW levels by the end of the year.

Whats the 2019 equivalent of Mike Enos vs Bull Pain? 

• Like 1

WWE has done two things in recent years that really hurts the success of a new major promotion. First, they signed everybody. Second, they stopped releasing people and gave performers financial stability.  Your average mid-carder does not have a history of drawing and is already making a lot of money.  How much are they even worth to a new promotion? Why would someone throw mid-six figures at a Cesaro without any way to recoup it?

I don't see where the talent pool is coming from unless there is another shoe to drop. (Talent share with New Japan? CM Punk sighting?) It's not a coincidence that what we know so far resembles a reshuffling of the ROH roster.

That being said, all of this speculation about rosters is way more fun than discussing Cena's hair. 

• Like 8