DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have been paying attention and I realize they make a lot off merch but we don't know how well they will do when it's time to promote people who aren't themselves. 

They got fucking Adam Page over.  Dude was the biggest zero there ever was before they got their hands on him.  You don’t think they can make money with/for a bonafide superstar like Sasha (who is significantly more popular than Cody was when he left WWE)?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EVA said:

They got fucking Adam Page over.

Come on now.  Adam Page could walk in the XL Center and NOBODY would know who the hell he is,  most likely he'd be asked if he knows where section 112 is. That's not "over"..   He's over with an audience that is a niche of a niche. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Come on now.  Adam Page could walk in the XL Center and NOBODY would know who the hell he is,  most likely he'd be asked if he knows where section 112 is. That's not "over"..   He's over with an audience that is a niche of a niche. 

Well, you’re shifting the goalposts here, trying to set some arbitrary criteria for “overness” after the fact.

You said we don’t know how well they can promote people other than themselves, I gave you an example of a guy the built up from nothing and turned into a dude who makes bank on the Indies, thereby showing their ability to successfully promote someone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Well, you’re shifting the goalposts here

Well okay I'll give you that I suppose but I just think it's a huge risk for anyone in WWE who is on TV regularly to make the move early on.  I can see it making sense for Main Event level talent and 205 Live/NXT UK.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well okay I'll give you that I suppose but I just think it's a huge risk for anyone in WWE who is on TV regularly to make the move early on.  I can see it making sense for Main Event level talent and 205 Live/NXT UK.  

Props to you for being the first person in the history of the Internet to just admit it.

I agree that there would seem to be a fair amount of risk involved (without knowing exactly how much AEW will be paying, etc), but there’s risk involved in any bet, and a LOT of guys/gals on the Indy scene are doing well betting on themselves these days.

I think the main thing for anyone leaving WWE is they have to be willing to hustle.  That’s what has set the Elite guys (and other top earners like Janella, Ryan, Riddle, etc) apart.  They put the work in to get the money that’s out there.

Things I'm wondering about

1.) Will the talent just keep/open their own PWT store, or will the company sell shirts and give them royalties?

2.) How many dates are we looking at them running? 

3.) Are they looking to get one hour, two hours, etc of weekly TV?

4.) How big of a talent roster do they realistically want/need?

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Even Rovert was more specific with his teases, saying one of the AEW emails was forwarded to a Juno account. (No idea if that was serious or in jest.)

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Things I'm wondering about

1.) Will the talent just keep/open their own PWT store, or will the company sell shirts and give them royalties?

This could be a downside to being treated as employees, because if AEW has their own merch, it won’t be in their interest to have their employees competing with them.

But ProWrestlingTees are the official distributor for AEW merch, so...

Also, the Torch says they're signing talent to holding deals that convert to full contracts once they get a TV deal. Apparently the "floor", or minimum, is a good six figure contract.

• Like 1

Whenever they announce Double or Nothing for and if they get TV or whatever. Do you start touring smaller markets in 1,000-2,000 with a smaller roster in the months leading up to DON or not?

Like run two shot friday saturday two weeks out of the month in certain markets in smaller venues with like Cody and Bucks vs SoCal as the main. Like 5 or 6 card matches over the midwest, Southwest and West Coast in like a said 1,000-2,000 seat venues and see how well the brand draws right out the gate. Then whatever markets drew well come back for tv in 2500-5000 seat arenas. 

IDK i've never an a wrestling promotion but everything is circular and maybe it's time to see if revenue driven by live gates can be a viable business model again.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Also, the Torch says they're signing talent to holding deals that convert to full contracts once they get a TV deal. Apparently the "floor", or minimum, is a good six figure contract.

Fuck, not even WWE has a floor of 6 figures.  That's not sustainable.

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Fuck, not even WWE has a floor of 6 figures.  That's not sustainable.

It is if you only have 5 wrestlers working a never ending round robin

• Haha 5

I legit have no idea if this was mentioned already since we are almost 6 pages deep in less than 24 hours but the expectation is that Christopher Daniels will be working with AEW at a minimum behind the scenes

2 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

Are we 100% sure AEW will actually have a womens division?

I doubt Cody is going to start a vanity promotion and not find a way to push his wife.

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sid + Big Cat and/or Motor City Madman and I will write the checks myself. 

Throw in Ice Train and I'll contribute to the Gofundme.

• Like 1

Cody tweeted/teased awhile ago saying “who are the best unsigned men and women in wrestling?” It’s a guarantee there’s a women’s division. There were some women booked on the Jericho cruise too right?

Hopefully at the press conference/rally they will be giving us some solid details (including hopefully that they have a decent tv deal). 

I wonder if AEW is doing to let the wrestlers wrestle in other smaller indies like in the old days of TNA?  I'm guessing the big stars like Cody and the Bucks won't. I also wonder if the roster will reach 1998 WCW levels by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

That's what I mean. Are the talent going to get the full cut from PWT or is the money going to go through AEW first